Carp Lead Line

smerchly

I like using the hair rig for most of my carp fishing , & sometimes I use a larger size hook if using puffed corn or just loading the hook with canned corn or smaller kernels of maize . I have been using 25# -30# reg. mono & fluoro carbon for my hair rigs . I slide the stiff line through the maize after I have punched a hole through the corn with a pin,,,,it stays put on the line very well .

The problem with using the stiff mono is it may spook the carp if it senses the stiff line . If I use the softer 20# mono , a large carp may snap it off with a hard head shake .I usually run 20# braid on my reels . I have been thinking of trying a heavy braid for my hook/hair rigs , 50# -80# for better sensitivity .

What is your favourite line ? I use the fluoro when I know zebra mussels are present .....

I use 20 lb mono for my main line and to rig up my hair rig i have been snapped off a few times

but for the most it holds up well i thought about using braid but the mono does work for me then thought about going with

about going 20 on the reel and 15 on the rig but i don't know there are some big carp out there and if they snap 20 then

15 don't have much of a chance can be done just have to play the fish longer

My last carp was caught on 20# braid & 25# lead using a hair rig . The rod used was 10' with a soft tip to lessen the chance of a head shake break off & it seems to work well , and ditto with my 12' carp rod . I have also used my 8' custom salmon rod which is stiffer , and I found using mono for the main line works better to absorb those hard head shakes . There is a special line they use for carp leader line , I see it being used on some You Tube vids. ...don't know who sells it locally , but I'll keep an eye out for some ....

this is the type of material I'm interested in .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CH3stngjDQ

I used 20# flourocarbon line for my rigs this year with a 50# main braided line. Worked for me. I might just go with lighter braid soon enough though for my rigs because flourocarbon is nasty to tie tight smooth knots. All the lube in the world wouldnt help slide that stuff!!
Braid is king!

have you taken a look at www.carpkit.com? I haven't ordered anything from them so I can say how good it is but I do know they are in Ontario so shipping shouldn't be that much might be worth a look

have you taken a look at www.carpkit.com? I haven't ordered anything from them so I can say how good it is but I do know they are in Ontario so shipping shouldn't be that much might be worth a look

I use a vise to hold the hook when using up to 30# fc line and pliers to pull the tabs tight . Then I use a lighter to melt the tabs close to the knots ....be careful not to melt (weaken) the line . So far the fc has worked , but I may have missed a few sniffers that were spooked by the stiff line .

There is a wide range of material available for making your rigs. Different diameter and stiffness mono, flourocarbon, braid and coated braids. You can also use rig tubing and heat shrink tubing on your rig. Coated braids are popular because they are stiff enough not to tangle with your mainline on casting. They strip off enough of the coating in order to tie the hair rig, It is expensive at about a buck or more a yard and you'll need a stripper tool as well. Mono will do a good job but needs to be replaced often. That should not be a problem as the hair rig is very easy to tie once you tie a few. Also by using a semi fixed lead you will reduce the strain on a mono hook link because the weight will detach from your swivel and slide up the line when the carp shakes it's head.

Thanks for those tips Lorne .... I still have a lot to learn about carp fishing ! I 'll have to see what my local tackle shop has for lead line and experiment with them .

I took a trip to Gibby this a.m. to see if I could get some minnows ....and took the carp rod with me for company ......The minnows were breaking water , but not venturing close to shore today , got a bout 7-8 small sunfish & one tiny goby but no minnows . I sat in the rain for an hour , under my cheap poncho while a carp (or something) was playing with my hair rigged maize . After 15 minutes of foreplay the thing decided she liked pineapple/corn and took off with it ....a nice hard 50 yd.dash ( 9.72 seconds) and decided to try to lose me in the weeds .....The smerch (top of the food chain) kept a steady hold on her until she relented and knew the human was the winner . She was about the same size as my last one at about 12 -13 lbs . The short shank hook was buried tightly around the bottom lip ....very tricky trying to remove the hook when it fits the lip like a lip ring !

The sun came out ...got very warm and humid ....no sunglasses....hit the trail back to the truck .....satisfied I outwitted a fish !

...didn't take the net so used a garbage bag for the landing field ...... B)

SAM_6354.JPG

tough removing small hook from lower lip.....

Thanks guys ......Mike ...as you get older you get a little funny sometimes ....

Happy days ahead as the temps finally get back to normal and I hope the fish can read thermometers ...... :Gonefishing:

Archived