Anybody Home?

Tom S

Dead quiet here lately.

Anybody up to anything?

July/August were just crazy for me between personal things and work. Got out a couple of times to local ponds and a bit at the cottage, but not much action. Nights have all been booked up, so no fly tying or rod building. Things are finally slowing down now.

Booked some casting lessons for later this month. Hoping to get rid of some bad habits I taught myself. Spey Clave next month, thinking more and more about picking up a long rod. Maybe I'll win one in the raffle...

Looking forward to trying for some steelhead once it cools down for good. Grew a neckwarmer over the last couple of months to keep me toasty in the cold.

Someone has to be up to something....

Been to hot and humid to fish and have been busy doing what i do for a living. Rods and flytying and the steelhead season hasn't even started yet. Would love to hear some fishing reports.

I've ventured out twice recently. The water was warm enough to make tea but there wasn't enough in the stream to fill the teapot. No fish but got to try out some of my furled leaders with the 4 wgt. I'm thinking I like them.

No Spey Clave for me (daughter's birthday weekend). Hope you find a long rod you like. I love my St Croix Imperial. Price was right and it casts really well.

Cliff, do you or have you made any spey rods? One day when I am solvent again I'd love to add a 6 wgt spey rod to my collection.

Hint! HInt!

Salmon fishing started at the east since Aug 10, a mini run. still somewhat slow and no pattern could be establish, everyone waiting for the upcoming rain, and it will be a zoo by next week. Anglers as far from Ottawa, Montreal, peterborough, etc... were going and trying their luck. I pity them from having to travel so far, and gotten skunk , some stayed and rented hotel costing $120 per night for a week, and no fish, since no pattern was established as of yet.

I lost two spoon from two short fight two weeks ago, due to frail old or defective 12 lb mono line. I normally like the stretch of mono, when fishing for salmon, and hardly bend a hook or split ring, while many that uses braided line has potential of bending the split ring or hooks, resulting on losing their catch. Still very few fish were landed, with no predictable time frame in the night, yet many of us were trying our luck. It seemed even more anglers and less fish has been the yearly pattern.

Aren't we a boring bunch. I'm sure once the weather breaks we'll start seeing reports of steel and salmon.

Cliff, do you or have you made any spey rods? One day when I am solvent again I'd love to add a 6 wgt spey rod to my collection.

Interested to hear your response Cliff. I have been thinking of building a spey rod from the 13' 7/8wt graphite blank from Angler's Roost, but first I want to take some lessons and make sure it's something I want to get into.

Hey guys I've been in hibernation mode this summer and barely fishing at all. Went out once to a Huron trib and seen some salmon landed but none for me. I nailed a 10-11lb sheephead which was still fun. IMG_20150828_225548_zps1fe7c676.jpg

If you guys make it to the spey clave make sure you pop in and say hi. We'll have lots of goodies in the Beulah/Mystic/Snowbee tent. Can help with casting as well. Colds nights and rain are here so the chrome will be in now for sure. Cheers

I hit up the lower grand on Wednesday for smallmouth (I was swinging flies and praying for chrome). The water temperature was still sitting around 19-20° with max 16 inches of visibility. Only saw a few other anglers but didn't talk to anyone.

I was talking to the guy at the fly shop in Fergus and he said people were catching on northern tribs consistently.

I think by next week there will be some good numbers running.

Hope to see some of you guys on the water.

Ive been out a couple times for bass on the grand, but even thats been tough. Been busy since early june on a major kitchen reno. Happy wife is going to give me a happy fishing life...lol. Nice sheepshead Craig. I will be at the spey clave for sure not going to miss that. Ill come say hi Craig. Free lessons?? Lol. Im going to pick up a scandi for my dec hogan 6.5 wt to test out while im at it. Cant wait for some cooler weather to get things going. Seems everything always comes up during fishing season...told my wife for next few months im booked solid so dont plan anything or volunteer me anywhere..lol.

I hit up the lower grand on Wednesday for smallmouth (I was swinging flies and praying for chrome). The water temperature was still sitting around 19-20° with max 16 inches of visibility. Only saw a few other anglers but didn't talk to anyone.

I was talking to the guy at the fly shop in Fergus and he said people were catching on northern tribs consistently.

I think by next week there will be some good numbers running.

Hope to see some of you guys on the water.

That guy in the fly shop is lying to you...i was up to the bighead, beaver, notty and it was dead dead dead....the odd salmon but definately not consistant. That may have changed in the last week...but 2 weeks ago it was all quiet. The only thing i know going on right now is in the east " saulmon" slaying....lol think thats how i heard it...lol.

Im hoping to make it to the clave. Looking like I'm gonna get the last spot in the free lesson w/ Jay Newell on the sunday so hopefully it works out. If not I'll test some rods since I want to eventually swing a few spots on the niagara.

Hey Dave I can totally help you out with that scandic when you get it. Bring it by and we'll get it dialed in at the clave. Cold weather is coming soon and so are the chrome!!! :-)

Jay is a great guy, great caster and instructor. If he's too busy come on by and I'll help you out a bit catfish :-)

Hey Dave I can totally help you out with that scandic when you get it. Bring it by and we'll get it dialed in at the clave. Cold weather is coming soon and so are the chrome!!! :-)Jay is a great guy, great caster and instructor. If he's too busy come on by and I'll help you out a bit catfish :-)

Thanks Craig! I'll make sure to swing by your tent (see what I did there?). Will you have beulah, mystic, snowbee rods to try out?

Im hoping to make it to the clave. Looking like I'm gonna get the last spot in the free lesson w/ Jay Newell on the sunday so hopefully it works out. If not I'll test some rods since I want to eventually swing a few spots on the niagara.

Jays a good guy, dont be afraid to ask questions if your not sure of something. I tested out loops xcross 7126 with my lesson with jay last year with a scandi head and that is one sweet stick.

Hey Dave I can totally help you out with that scandic when you get it. Bring it by and we'll get it dialed in at the clave. Cold weather is coming soon and so are the chrome!!! :-)Jay is a great guy, great caster and instructor. If he's too busy come on by and I'll help you out a bit catfish :-)

I will come by Craig. Hey i see on a friend of my wifes facebook page he has you listed as a friend? Cosmin Muresan? Small world...lol. He offered my wife and i to come to his fly competitions hes had all summer...but we have been so busy. So next year we are going to get involved more to learn than really compete. I met another guy Mark Pietrovich who also fly fishes so knowing a few people makes me not feel too uncomfortable. I saw a little chinese woman at the clave last year that showed me i have lots to learn...lol.

Spent some time with Peter Charles this afternoon, he showed me how to do a circle spey cast with my single hand rod and a switch line. He showed me a lot, now I just need to practice to get some muscle memory.

FYI, I've got a 8WT Rio Salmon & Steelhead line for sale if anyone needs one, and I'm looking for a switch line.

Hey catfish we will definitely have a bunch of Beulah, mystic and snowed stuff there to play with so come check it out.

Dave I don't know him personally I just met him through Facebook. His competitions seem pretty good and would be a blast to do sometime.

Tom, Peter is a great instructor as well and have fished with him many times. Switch lines on a single hander is pretty slick eh. That's pretty much all I use on my singles now also. Cheers guys

I was thinking about it. Checked out the website, not sure how it works. Do you have to buy a ticket and it's an all day event? Or is it more like the outdoors shows where you can walk around to different vendors and see different speakers?

I believe this year they are charging an event fee or admission. Small price to pay for the day. Yes you can walk around and talk to the manufacturer reps and thier prostaff teams. There is no real vending of any kind more a display of the various equipment you can try out if you like. There is usually some guest presenters doing on the water demonstrations of equpment and techniques. The is a break for lunch and then more of the same. They will have a few guys on hand doing fly tying presentations and raffles they sell tickets for a chance to win some nice prizes. If you enjoy fly fishing, its a relaxing day out with like minded individuals.

It's an outdoor event that has all the different vendors at with all the rods to try out. 3 or 4 people fly tying demos all day both days. Each day has different guest speakers doing casting demos on the water as well. I believe there's an entrance fee to get in but not sure if you pay at the gate or once you get to the clave location in the park. Hope to see some of you guys there.

Hmmmmm. I was hoping to be able to make a purchase or two, or many. Lol. I'm still fairly new to swinging (my second season with the long rod) so I think I need some tweaking with my set up. Sink tip lengths and grains etc.

Hmmmmm. I was hoping to be able to make a purchase or two, or many. Lol. I'm still fairly new to swinging (my second season with the long rod) so I think I need some tweaking with my set up. Sink tip lengths and grains etc.

Oh you can make a purchase....lol. Maybe not right on the spot, but the vendors will gladly put you in touch of thier distributors of that product. If you need advice on grain weights and what you should be using this is the place. Bring your rod. Someone like Craig can help you out im sure. Its a good day...youll like it.

Archived