Great Sight On The Grand Today.

iHasFish

I had an experience today that was both aggravating and very mesmerizing.

I was swinging flies downstream from the mouth of whitemans creek this afternoon and getting nothing when a decent hatch of small caddis started around 4pm and I saw two very large trout lips begin to breach the surface and feed not 20feet in front of me. I slowly reeled in my switch line, removed the sink tip and large intruder fly and started to look through my steelhead fly box which seemed to be the exact opposite of what I was looking for.

I racked my brain to think of what I had. I tried a small wooly bugger on the swing, didn't work, dead drift my smallest Salmon fly, nope. I even tried skating an unweighted tube fly. Nadda.

The fish just continued rising methodically right in front of me for another 20 minutes, picking off little bugs to his left and right. So many for him to choose from, yet he was feeding so selectively that I could have tapped him on the nose with my fly and he'd reject it like it was cheap wine.

I think in the future I'm going to bring a couple dries just in case.

That is a great site...thats the come get me tease. Could have been resident trout. Lots of them in there. Thats one thing i need work on is the single hand fly rod. No problem with switch or spey but a single hander i need work. Might get myself a single hand lesson in the spring. Then tying #22 flies might be the next challange...lol.

Single handed is easy, easier than switch or spey. You already know what a rod feels like when it's loading, that's the biggest hurdle in my opinion. Next comes timing and casting stroke and then you're pro. Casting a #5 compared to a #9 though, very different.

Meet me on the river one day, I'll bring my #8/9 with a double taper line and let you swing it around. Feels good roll casting with the dt line.

Archived