Coyotes

Slevin

Ya know,I,m not a hunter(never have been and never will be)but understand it is legal.What I don,t like is when people make smarta$$ comments about killing an animal because apparently there are too many.If you think coyotes are over populated try working in the GTA area and you will see what over population is(just an example).Try and be a little more respectful before you put a DENT in their population or close their mouths quickly

Ya know,I,m not a hunter(never have been and never will be)but understand it is legal.What I don,t like is when people make smarta$$ comments about killing an animal because apparently there are too many.If you think coyotes are over populated try working in the GTA area and you will see what over population is(just an example).Try and be a little more respectful before you put a DENT in their population or close their mouths quickly

do they keep you awake for hours a night? Do you fear not going into your own back yard? Do you fear your dogs might get torn up? I know what overpopulation is. And it is time to thin them out when all this is happening don't you think?

What many folks don't realize is that coyotes are not native to Eastern Canada. They migrated here following routes established by human activity (farmland, highways, power lines etc). They are here because we created an environment that is ideal for them, NOT because we "invaded" their territory. They're not living "out in the boonies;" they are in our backyards!

Pets have been killed, children attacked, livestock mauled. The only reason coyotes are not considered an invasive species here is because they migrated here on their own. . . with our help. They don't belong here and they are a threat.

To the person that thinks coyotes are not a problem.....i had a farm in wainfleet for 10yrs, over that time I lost about 30 barn cats to coyotes and countless ducks and geese! Ya might want to keep your opinions to yourself when you're completley ignorant of the real situation!

I'm confused shadow...why are you looking under the hunting forum if as you say...I am not a hunter...never have been..never will be...kind if an odd place too be lurking if you have zero interest...

It's under the heading " Hunting & Conservation" . As a former hunter , I did not "like" to kill an animal for the "fun & pleasure " of it . When hunters make open statements where they regard the life of an animal as nothing more than a target to kill , many people regard hunters as trigger happy red necks . Use some tact please . We have many "invaders" here that have come by land and sea . When I hunted , we never saw possums ....or even turkeys . We didn't have problems with cormorants and Canada geese , and never heard of all the invasive species in our lakes . With world trade rapidly expanding we will see many more invasive species that will cost us billions . So , we will have to "control" , "cull" , "manage" these plants, animals, birds , insects , fish , etc etc . Lets use language (like the MNR ) to harvest our food , and cull the wildlife that is causing problems in the cities and on the farm . Shadow was just saying the same thing .......

.....his last remark was try to be a little more respectful ...... understand what that means ........ :ArcherySmiley: ... :th_fudd: ..... :thx:

If you ever saw a coyote take a fawn and heard it bawling while it killed it, you might change your opinion. There are too many coyotes and they are getting bolder. I know a farmer that recently lost 5 sheep and has lost ducks, geese. I recently read that turkey's number one threat now is coyotes. I haven't hunted them much in recent years but due to what I have seen recently, I have started to do so in my hunting spots in hopes of reducing their numbers.

If the ministry thinks that there are too many coyotes they should put a bounty on them like they used to have years ago. More hunters would go after them and that would get rid of quite a few. The problem would be in city limits where you can not use a gun. These are the ones that should be removed.

If you ever saw a coyote take a fawn and heard it bawling while it killed it, you might change your opinion. There are too many coyotes and they are getting bolder. I know a farmer that recently lost 5 sheep and has lost ducks, geese. I recently read that turkey's number one threat now is coyotes. I haven't hunted them much in recent years but due to what I have seen recently, I have started to do so in my hunting spots in hopes of reducing their numbers.

That is nature and it occurs all the time. You do not need an over population of an animal for this to happen. I've heard deer cry after they were shot and it is a terrible feeling.

I wonder where shadow lives...I've seen them run right down my street late at night..and i live in the city...for someone to call out someone else out for using words like dent or shut their mouths when they probably have no idea of the coyote problem because as he says he is not a hunter and never will be ...is pretty condescending...and smerchly I don't think anybody kills for fun and pleasure and it might say hunting and conservation but come on 99 % of the conversations are all about hunting..give me a break

It's the public perception of hunting that I'm trying to get across here . It matters how the public in general perceive us hunters . I have shot my share of big and small game over the years and did my best to "dispatch" the animals as quickly as possible . When wolves and coyotes are hungry , they can be be very vicious ! We humans have infringed upon the land they once roamed and now we must kill them off to protect the farm & city animals which has been the norm for decades . Some would like to see the city dweller yotes trapped and released , but the cost would be too high .....and where would they go ? Before the yotes became a problem , foxes would raid the barnyard for chickens , etc. and eat pheasants eggs and young birds . Because of the ever expanding human population all hunting in the Niagara area will be a thing of the past some day ....that's "nature" .

And yes many hunters hunt for pleasure ....the thrill of the kill ....and I was part of it 10 years ago . Some anglers kill carp with bows for the thrill of it , certainly not for c & r or food . Put a bounty on yotes ....sure , that has been done in the past but maybe find some use for the fur. I have posted many times about conservation ....perhaps it's time to make it a separate thread . I am not anti hunting by any means ....there are many anglers who do not agree with hunting and many more of the general population who would like to see hunting banned . Let's keep it as respectable as we can before the " No Hunting " signs stop us from having a venison or wild turkey dinner .

I understand your point and his (too a degree).. but a comment about smart-ass comments coming from a guy that says he"doesn't hunt and never will".. is condescending...and I believe would come from an anti...I think if he was losing his pets or his way of living (farmer)..he might have a different opinion...jmo

I understand your point and his (too a degree).. but a comment about smart-ass comments coming from a guy that says he"doesn't hunt and never will".. is condescending...and I believe would come from an anti...I think if he was losing his pets or his way of living (farmer)..he might have a different opinion...jmo

I can agree with that Pudge ......sometimes our feelings get the best of us and we use words that inflame others , setting ourselves up for a harsh rebuke . I have been guilty of that , and have changed my wording after re-reading my post . I have gotten into it with some anti hunting people , especially the ones who eat store bought meat . Good hunting , safe hunting , and bon appetit to all who had a successful hunt .

Deer population is not hurting. Thats a stupid excuse. It must be the coyote! People always say the deer population is hurting because of coyotes, but fail to see the 1000's of hunters taking deer every fall. A coyote has a really hard time taking down a healthy deer. Fawns, yes they get the odd one but thats nature, we all need to eat right? If youre not seeing deer while hunting dont blame it on the coyote. Blame it on yourself or the terrible hunting habits you have. There are plenty of deer out there. I spend nearly everyday in the fall in the bush and can assure you there are plenty of deer. Im all for hunting coyotes and I spend a fair amount of time hunting them. Not because they are killers but more for their fur to sell. Again we all need to eat.

Archived