Coyotes

Slevin

I have to agree with bit's and parts of what every one is saying 2 yotes can take down a full grown deer they will run that deer untill it cant run no more

when i hunted yotes we had dogs tire before the yote i seen yotes run steady for a long time. they take out a good portion of the fawns .BUT we as hunters do the same

thing i'm not a shot gun hunter for deer only bow you take a group of hunters and surround a bush where does the deer go in the freezer in some parts the deer pop

is down some guys didn't get tags this year .I talk to a lot of hunters and did bad this year .The last 2 winters did some damages.The yote pop is a lot stronger then deer i can go out on any

given night and here yotes and they are coming close to my town .And as a taxidermist i can tell you the yotes are getting bigger than your average yote .But i am not ashamed to say

if a yote gives me the opportunity i will take it there are far to many .And trying to control the pop is conservation.But there is a more discrete way for saying your going try to control there numbers

hunters all ready have a bad name and remarks like kill em all on a open forum can just add fuel to an all ready burning fire with us hunters

I'd rather shoot a coyote than a deer at this point, the deer population is hurting, weather the coyotes are the issue or not they can't be helping them that's foresure. Kill em all

Get your facts right before you say something. The deer population is not hurting. If it were they would cut back on the hunting.

Get your facts right before you say something. The deer population is not hurting. If it were they would cut back on the hunting.

I heard they did but i know now that they just cut back on the additional tags

Judging from that article there are enough hunters doing damage to their own passion ... expect more no hunting signs to go up throughout the areas or firearms discharge areas to shrink.

I won't say for certain the population is growing, but they are definitely losing habitat to live and being forced into subdivisions, look at all the subdivision expansion going on through Niagara Falls and Welland, all in former treed areas where there was rarely any humans outside of the owners of the land.

However if there are nuisance coyotes, the MNR should be dealing with them, much like they should be dealing with those who call to complain about them but are in turn attracting them. Coyotes are adaptable, they have a chance at free or easy food they will take it, so you put dog food in your yard for your pooches ... a coyote will be back nightly to eat whatever is left.

Depending on what you read they are supposed to top out around 50 pounds ... I have definitely seen some much larger ones in the rural areas around Welland. There is no question the Southern Ontario coyote eats very well.

If this statement was true, the MNR would have cut back on moose hunting before it was decimated. Clearly the MNR has no clue

If this statement was true, the MNR would have cut back on moose hunting before it was decimated. Clearly the MNR has no clue

Moose have declined because of climate, parasites, habitat, hunters, and predators. They have made changes in hunting regulations on moose.

Hey captnn, I am a Deer hunter and have noticed a huge decline in the Deer population and an explosion in Coyotes over the past 10 years. You can spout all the "facts" you want, I am out there making my own observations. Also, the hunting has been cut back in the form of making it very difficult to draw an antlerless tag in many zones.......................Daniel

Do you hunt? I live and breath deer from October 1-dec 31 and for a long time. Trust me the deer #'s are down. I wasn't stating any FACTS. In wmu 88 you could get 5 extra doe tags last year, this year you can get 2, we could get 6 at one point in 89, now you can't get any at all... So yes my facts are straight, the moose are way low, they keep giving tags, but not as many...it doesn't matter what the reason is.

And you can't get any additional shotgun tags either as of this year. So YES they are cutting back on the hunting.

So just as one wise? Man just stated, "get your facts right before you say something".

Moose pop. down .....I can think of a few things I have read & heard ....Too many bears killing moose calves , habitat destruction & chemicals like cadmium in their livers , & more hunters using new technology & vehicles . Some of this may also apply to deer hunting as well.....Fawns would be an easy target for Coyotes .....silent weapons like crossbows make it easier to poach ,even at night ( gun lasers) .....less bush every year , replaced with housing . I'm referring to local hunting , don't know about the north situation on deer . Many deer at Short Hills , at my buds property in Fenwick , even some deer running a ravine within yards of the Pen Center ....they seem to be looking for refuge anywhere they can hide or find food ( people feed them too) . It's a mixed bag which I hope the MNR can properly manage ....

Unfortunately I am unable to hunt anymore but I am not against hunters. I was going by ministry stats and friends of mine who hunt and always get deer. Now I am hearing from other hunters and not afraid to say that maybe I am wrong.

I'm starting to get a bit scared with the coyote problem this past bow season I can't count how many coyotes I've seen its only getting worst

The MNR should know if the yote population is too high & will put a bounty on them if needed . I used to live in the "country" , but now I'm in the middle of a large number of houses & businesses . All of the land around me for miles was grapes , fields & fruit trees . Many wild animals are still here ! I have seen & caught (trap) possums , coons , mega squirrels , hawks eating doves in the yard , a big milk snake (released ) many mice & voles , and rats !

....did I say rats ??

...caught this one in my squirrel trap this morning ....

Ratz%252520004.JPG

....but I haven't seen a yote yet .....

...Got this guy today also ........I'm sure he/she/it will be happy at it's new home ........

Redsquirrel%252520002.JPG

The MNR should know if the yote population is too high & will put a bounty on them if needed . I used to live in the "country" , but now I'm in the middle of a large number of houses & businesses . All of the land around me for miles was grapes , fields & fruit trees . Many wild animals are still here ! I have seen & caught (trap) possums , coons , mega squirrels , hawks eating doves in the yard , a big milk snake (released ) many mice & voles , and rats !

....did I say rats ??

...caught this one in my squirrel trap this morning ....

Ratz%252520004.JPG

....but I haven't seen a yote yet .....

I don't think you can catch a 'yote with peanuts Smerch

You ever want to see high volume of yotes in a neighborhood just go to Secord woods. Every night you hear the pack when they catch something. They frequent the school yards, they have gotten a few dogs. Cross the canal towards the new mall and I see a few every week. They often clean up fresh roadkill before the city gets to it on this end of town. But then go to cyclone and merritville at night and you can expect to see atleast 2-3 dozen dear. And even more towards the short hills mostly does and offspring. Even have a small group of dear over at cats caboose/Dennis Morris ravine.

That is one healthy rat. Never seen one that colour or that clean.

Maybe someone's pet rat capt .....it's fur was very clean and it's more grey in colour than the picture shows , which was taken in low light . It squeeled like a pig when I approached the trap ....felt sorry for it & released it in the upper 12 Mile valley ..... :dunno: I had a few pieces of apple in the trap ....sometimes the birds will steal the peanuts except the ones I have sealed in the wire mesh . Mice will also eat the peanuts during the night . I borrowed my bud's larger trap to catch coons (or yotes) :rolleyes: ....and I caught a BIG Tom cat ! It "flew" over the 6' wood fence after I released it ....never seen it since .

My brother lives in port weller area of St. Catharines. He has pictures of a pack of coyotes walking down the street in his neighbourhood. They are in the city as well as the country

I can attest to that. I used to live right across from broadway gardens. The forest off seaway haulage was rife with yotes. Would see them all the time. Used to hear them on the other side of the fence when walking home at night.

My brother lives in port weller area of St. Catharines. He has pictures of a pack of coyotes walking down the street in his neighbourhood. They are in the city as well as the country

I used to hunt yotes & rabbits near the haulage road close to the GM plant . There is still a lot of bush along that road (Coon Rd.) all the way to Port Weller . I have a 35mm shot of a big coyote at the traffic circle at the Skyway bridge . A day before that I saw a dead yote on the service road under the Skyway bridge ....may have been it's mate ...That was about 35-40 years ago .

Something can be done to "cull" the yotes in the country , but I don't know what they can do in the burbs to reduce their numbers .......

I can attest to that. I used to live right across from broadway gardens. The forest off seaway haulage was rife with yotes. Would see them all the time. Used to hear them on the other side of the fence when walking home at night.

Ha.....looks like we were on the same page .....same time ! B)

I knew someone who would jog the Port D piers every AM rain or shine or snow about 20 years ago ... there was a few coyotes living along the lake between Lake Street and Geneva, he would see them every AM.

Archived