Viruses..who Is Ill

cplummer

Hey Cliff,swine flu just went through Forterie.My wife works at a daycare near you & it has been bad for everyone around there.A few people have been hospitalized.Luckily it missed my kids & I while my wife was extremely sick too

I agree drifter and Tyler...unless you have some sort of immune deficiency or are really old I believe the body should fight off any virus that makes you sick...no need to gey the flu shot if your healthy..ps..I had a cold so far this year

I agree drifter and Tyler...unless you have some sort of immune deficiency or are really old I believe the body should fight off any virus that makes you sick...no need to gey the flu shot if your healthy..ps..I had a cold so far this year

What is "really old" ? I'm weeks away from 73 & never had the flu shot & can't remember the last time I got the flu . I've had a few colds or sore throat that lasted up to a week but never bed ridden . My immune system may be more compromised since my gall stones removal , but so far no sickness ......I wash my hands many times per day & avoid crowds when I can . My wife (same age) has not seen an MD for over 30 years , very few colds , no flu shots ....must be her home style cooking !

No flu shots for me. I don't want "Big Brother" injecting me with microscopic transmitters that will track all my movements and relay them to the aliens that are the real rulers of the solar system. Where is my tin foil hat? :crazy: .....................................Daniel

Been fighting something for a couple weeks, sore throat, wicked cough, sheer exhaustion. I haven't felt able to take a day off work because of some major projects (server changeover, software upgrades, project with an absurd timeline), but today I said enough is enough and I'm taking a day to catch up. I can usually rebound pretty quickly once I let myself stop.

No flu shots for me. I don't want "Big Brother" injecting me with microscopic transmitters that will track all my movements and relay them to the aliens that are the real rulers of the solar system. Where is my tin foil hat? :crazy: .....................................Daniel

The problem with getting shots for a variety of diseases , flu's , viruses , insect bites, traveling shots , or a shingles shot is , many believe we are losing our natural body defenses which may be passed down to our children . Many do not trust the system (cancer industry) and the pharm .industry where billions of $$ are spent . We know our foods are loaded with preservatives for longer shelf life and selling "perfect" fruits ,etc. I believe cancer is on the rise because of the chemicals in our foods , especially meats . That was one reason I hunted for moose & small game over many years ......especially wild turkey ! :D

I agree and disagree with you Smerch. It's true that children these day are less exposed to dirt and germs than in years past, and as a result can have less developed immune systems. I don't think that the flu shot is the answer though, I also believe in letting the body build up its own defenses against non-life threatening diseases such as the flu and chicken pox. Vaccines on the other hand should be mandatory in my opinion, because now it's at the point in some regions where because of people have opted out off vaccines that 'herd immunity' is lost and it puts people who cannot receive vaccines (for a variety of reasons) at risk. There is no reason for someone in this day and age in the first world to die of smallpox or measles.

As far as foods, people love to bash GMO's without understanding how much we depend on them. I agree that it can be taken to far (such as when stocked trout were modified to have a lighter colour so they could be seen easily by fishermen), but without GMOs there would be a lot less food to go around. Crop yields on organic farms can be dismal compared to a farm using roundup ready modified seed, and in my opinion it's wasteful to use land in that way. I think the real bad stuff happens during processing, which is why it's probably a good idea to avoid a lot of processed food.

I think that environmental factors have a lot more to do with cancer rates than the food we're eating. Food and Drug administrations keep a pretty tight eye on what goes into the food we eat. I'd be more worried about the air we breath and the water we drink than food you're making at home.

I'm more worried about what will happen in the next decade as we run out of antibiotics to fight infections with. Bacteria adapt and evolve to resist antibiotics faster than we can develop new versions. In the worst case this could lead back to a time when a scratch that becomes infected could lead to blood poisoning and death without a doctor being able to do anything about it.

In 2002 measles was said to be eradicated in the americas. Because people stopped getting the vaccine it is back. If anyone had shingles and could take the vaccine so that they would not get it again I think that they would take it. I did.

In the past 10 years I have had 7 flu shots. I have still gotten the flu every year. The vaccine only works on known and pre-existent strains from the past few years. It will not protect you from the latest new flavour of the year.

I get my flue shot every year and have never had the flue since. Good hand hygiene helps too.

Elderly and children should be getting vaccinated and also anyone with continued exposure to these age population. But I agree with drifter and bigugli it's hard to predict the prominent virus for the season so always that chance of not being covered by the shot.

We got the flu through the house this year with my little guy bringing everything home from school. It's a nightmare. Started with a fever then a head cold then your entire body aches this goes on for a week before you start getting better. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy was horrid.

Archived