Early Lake O Browns And Lakers

dwc67

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I have been fishing Lake O for a few seasons now.

What works are:

Bob Clouser Half N Half's or regular clousers tied about 4 inches long on #1 or #1/0 salt water hook Chart/White, Light or Dark Olive /white, Green/White. Popovics jiggies about the same length and in the same colours as mentioned above.I like this fly because it has the weight but also casts farther than clousers.Large White Zonkers tied clouser style.Rabbit fur is tough to cast for distance so I keep them to about 4 inches as well.So far I have not needed huge flys but will be trying some larger flys in the future.I prefer all flys to ride hook point up as you will be bouncing off of shore line rocks. Fish in the Lake can follow a fly for quite some time before they commit to a strike.The longer you can cast the better.I use a #10 wt. salt water stick that really is over kill but there is always wind to fight and large flys to cast.I mostly use an Air flo 40+ clear intermediate line and a stripping basket very much like you would fish for Stripers in Cape Cod.I'm shopping for a 9 wt. at the moment and that is the lowest weight I would use for this style of fishing.It takes the beefier fly rods to cast these flys to 90-100 ft. in the wind...

Archived