Odd Duck Call

Jig Head

I found this duck call (or some sort of bird caller) down in my grandfather's basement the other day, and I wanna know what bird it calls and/or the brand. If somebody recognizes it that would be greatly appreciated. :) Here is a video of the caller and what it sounds like.

It sounds like a duck call with the reeds in need of tuning. Most calls you don't just blow air to mimic a sound. You say things and shape your lips. An example would be a goose call you might say tu wit as you blow and create back pressure with your hand and break the call kind of like tuuuuuuuu-wit (picture a goose sound). Bring it to the Erie outdoor show and I am sure someone will know something about it.

Steve

Does it have a manufacture name on it or any kind of writing on it

if you take and twist the small end it will come apart and you will see the reed in it

the reed will be the flexible plastic peace in it they look like this

search_zpstueyiumt.jpg

now on some calls there will be 2 reeds in it they call a dubble reed call they can be very hard to use if you don't

know what you are doing if it has only 1 reed theres a good chance that the reed is out of tune or cracked from age

good luck with it did your Grandfather hunt? it will make a good shelf peace if you would like to see it work again

you can take it to someone that knows how to tune it or can set you up with new reeds good luck

Archived