Contest Time

cplummer

Gunner has offered a male mallard mount for the best hunting or fishing story.

Gunner (Mike) will be running this contest. So lets see some of those great stories you guys n gals have.

Ok guys n gals it's story time this year this goes out not only to the hunters but to the fishermen n gal as wellWhat i am looking for is your best story that you can

tell that happened to you i'm looking for something to make me laugh or go wow the winner will win a Drake Mallard mount

there are 3 mounts to choose from

1images%203_zpsfn4cs8qu.jpg

2imgres%203_zpsslhhrtoc.jpg

imgres%202_zpsdgg1q3rz.jpg

Before you enter the contest you have to be 100% sure you wan't this as a lot of work goes into the mounts ithe contest will last 1 week then i will pick the winner

you can start now LETS HAVE SOME FUN GOOD LUCK GUYS N GALS

I would love to have the wall mount , you did an AWESOME JOB.....I might have to do a re write on the jaws movie to win .....haha

Sorry guys i didn't state in the beginning the mounts in the pics are not mine the winner picks one he /she likes and i will mount the bird to the one he/she likes

LOL hey rocknreel go with Nemo i didn't like Jaws

Funny story, Now, but at the time ?? Last summer at the cottage, the weather was a bit crappy and I was bite jonzing big time ! but there were chores to do, You know how it is. I kinda new the fishing would be off, but i was drawn like a magnet to steel by the sound of the water ( which happens frequently ) I took the mouring cover off fired up the engine and shoved off, realizing I left my coffee on the dock,I went back to pick up my caffeine drink and off I went, again. Soon as I left the bay and hit open water the wind was howling , the spots I like on the lake are susceptible to bad weather conditions.After spilling my coffee on the carpet and getting frustrated (not having any boat control) I decided to go shallow maybe I can get out of the wind.Casting a none weighted plastic bait ( my favorite ) Finally getting a big bite, I tried setting the hook / keeping boat control and being careful of the rocks ( talk about multi tasking with out my caffeine ) I missed the fish and it was a dandy.... holy crap ! now im pissed ! I continue casting now I got a birds nest to un tangle OK, what next ? Well I`ll tell you, I pick up another rod and continue casting, another bite but this time the bait comes flying back at me, I duck, now with the boat completley out of control I have to get on the trolling motor fast to gain control but I can`t find my bait so I wip the rod looking for the bait thats when I found it STUCK IN MY BUTT I tell you it caught me completely off guard I dropped the rod in the water still attached to the bait WTF gives!! after cutting the line pulling up the rod dealing with the wind the boat driving me nuts I HEAD HOME back to the dock . I managed to get back safely, but my ego was hurt. Just sitting there I was thnkn maybe I should have stayed in and done my chores and scored brownie points and who knows what else, hmmm ? Im startled by this loud sound, a voice yelling ARE YOU GONA SLEEP ALL DAY or are you gona do your CHORES ??????? ..... that mount will look great on my wall .....

Rocknreel

LMAO Rocknreel ......That episode would have made a great video . It was a learning experience ....and you did hook "the big one" ...left cheek or right ? :lol:

Thought I would post about my very last hunting trip .....I'll always remember fondly .....with a smirk .....

It was the year 2000 and six warriors headed out to Thunder Bay to get us a moose dinner , or two . It was new territory not too far from our last hunting grounds that was destroyed ....completely flattened by a bad hurricane at Arrow Lake and Rose Lake (1999) which borders the state of Minnesota , USA. We set up camp in the bush , about 200 yards from the lake during a snowfall . We had atv's , aluminum car toppers and a canoe . Getting ready for the morning hunt I discovered I DID NOT PACK A KEY for my trigger lock !! Barry gave me his multi knife which had a small file which could cut through the lock in a few days or so .......We had "walkie talkies", so while the guys were hunting , smercho was filing like a lunatic to get that @%#&*! lock off . Meanwhile , the guys found some tracks in the snow and were getting close ...I could hear their conversations ! ......I'm waiting for the sound of a 30:06 to blow my speaker on my w.t......In the meanwhile , I hear an atv approaching ....a man and lady riding to the lake with shotguns !! They said they are hunting grouse ! Fifteen minutes later I hear boom boom bang bang boom !! The guys got a moose !!! Nope ! "They" got a grouse !

About 3 hours later I finally cut the lock and headed out on foot to meet the guys on the lake to see the moose ? They asked me if I shot something as they heard the shots . I told them about the grouse hunters ......So the first day ended with no moose . Next day , we all headed out by boat to the other side of the lake . Gorgeous morning ! We decided drop everyone off along the lake about 100 yards apart and head north to a marshy area about 200 yards back . I took the right side . After slowly walking northward for about 20 minutes , looking for sign , I found fresh bull tracks in the patches of snow . Adrenaline kicking in .....I followed the tracks like an Indian scout with my nose to the ground . I happened to look left and there in the small spruce trees I saw a big black mass of "something" .....I froze ....didn't blink , breathing slow and easy ....then I saw a big rack ! It was facing me , head down and eating . There was no wind , and shooting through the roughage was a 50/50 chance of a kill .... I will wait for it to move to a better spot . After 10 minutes (which seemed like an hour) my knees were giving out , my mouth was dry , and the moose turned sideways and started to inch it's way to my left .....another 10 yards there was a 5 foot clearing between two large trees . I slowly brought my 4x scope to the clearing as he slowly made his way to the magic spot . I only had about 2 seconds to zero in on the magic spot ....and let 'er rip, a 30 yard shot . He turned and took off towards a clearing about 50 yards ahead ....and dropped . I was shaking like a lunatic, trying to message the guys , but they called me first and asked was it a bull or cow ? I told them it had the biggest rack of all time for me . After one hour the hunt was over for me ! I decided on the spot it was my last hunt for various reasons . I was shaking for the next three days ......lol

I still laugh about that hunt today , over 15 years later .....one hour , one moose !

here is the lake ....such a beautiful lake ...... keeps me smiling with fond memories ...... looks like a mirror .....

SAM_6892.JPG

....btw ...this picture is up-side -down .....aha .... :santa:

Generous offer Gunner...some very nice work. Thanks for a great contribution !!!

2 great stories.

Smerch please stop making me turn my phone upside down. Straighten that pic out ! Lol.

We got some nice eyes in that lake Cliff .....

I'll post this right side up ......

SAM_6858.JPG

Man 4 great stories and i mean great this is going to be hard but lots of time i will be picking sunday Ilove the Walleye strapped to the ATV

I hope that atv didn't struggle getting that fish back to camp LOL :bb2:

Smerch that's a great way to end a hunting career, do you have a picture of the moose?

Got a few shots after it was dressed ......this one show me with the rack .......

SAM_6857.JPG

Lets have some more stories guys .......Fishermen always have "tales" to tell . :Gonefishing:

Lots of crazy things happen on the waterway ......Guy next to our trailer at Quinte went to board his 16' tinny , almost stepped on a water snake in the boat....slipped and broke his leg while trying to get out of the boat !

I left a string of perch and crappies tied to the dock at the French river , came back to clean them after supper , and I pulled up a stinger full of heads ....snapper got them !

....I caught a 12" smallie at the French and it "stung" me with it's dorsal fin . About 2 weeks later a plastic surgeon removed a 1/4" piece of bone from my hand ....almost passed out watching him using the scalpel .... :o .....but not as bad as my nose job last year !!

Lots of stories to tell .....but I'm older ,so more stuff to remember ....... :crazy:

I have many misshap stories but staying out of a contest due to i own this site and don't want favortisim

Come on Cliffy ...just one mishap ....... :clapping:

Ya Cliff tell a story if you don't wan't to be in the contest that's fine but i'm sure the guys would love to hear one from you like i said

at the start lets have some fun :worthy:

Ok guys 2 days left i will be picking sunday morning so if you have a story to enter now is the time to do it you don't have to be a hunter to enjoy a good mount

they make a great added peace in that man cave or office

My most action packed trip was a fly in moose hunt to Quebec a few years ago. I think I could probably write a book out of this one. Here are the highlights!

We started by driving to the seaplane north of Mount Tremblant with all of our gear in tow. Our gear allotment was 125lbs per person but they had a surcharge for extra weight that maxed out quickly at $400 so given that their were 8 of us we figured we would each through in $50 and then bring everything we wanted! We tend to go with the “it’s better to look at it than for it theory” and tend to eat and drink well too!

Well after checking in they had us start to unload our gear onto carts which they then weighed and then loaded into two separate planes which were Beaver bush plances. All our gear, then the food, then out comes the beer and bottles. They couldn’t believe how much gear we had but when they weighed the “bar cart” they just about lost it, over 700lbs!. Too much to put on the planes! So into the office we go and they get on the radio and are talking to the radio arranging to have another plane to deliver the beer! Well this got the attention of all their pilots and they were all talking about the crazy guys that needed an extra plane for their beer.

While we are flying one guy with us realizes that he left his box of shells in his truck. He is the only one in the group shooting .308 so his is out of luck. He then tells the pilot that he will give him $50 if he will drop off his shells to him if he his flying by which he agrees too.

The rest of the flight in goes smoothly and we land on the lake and taxi up to the cabin dock with out incident. I was in the second plane so some of the guys had already gone into the cabin and started unpacking their stuff. We are unloading our stuff when we hear all this yelling from the cabin and go running up to find out what’s going on. Well the fridge, stove and lights are all propane and one of the guys sets the plastic shroud on the fridge on fire trying to light it! They manage to get it out without any casualties!

We finish unpacking and getting set up and decide to do a bit of scouting. I love hunting water so myself and another guy decide to take a canoe for a paddle up the lake to look around. So we get the canoe in the water and place our packs and rifles on the bottom and gingerly climb in. This isn’t a big canoe, maybe a 15 footer at best and we are the two biggest guys in the group. Buddy is in the front and as I push away from shore I notice that his whole body is shifting from one side of the canoe to the other, in rapid succession, the whole things starts to wobble and then over we go about 20ft from shore! It turned out the bracket on his seat was broken and it was acting like a sideways swing!

A couple of the guys were watching this unfold from the cabin window. We could hear roars of laughter from inside as we fished our gear from the lake, poured out our boots and guns and dragged the canoe back on shore. Someone finally composed themselves long enough to come out and ask if we where all right. Well we were off to a good start!

Well after some scouting by land, we decide to retire to a great dinner and a few pops spending the evening telling war stories and making fun of the guy who forgot his shells, trying to talk him into letting us make a muzzleloader out of his rifle (bad idea I know) and the guys that fell in the lake, of course!

The next day we’re off before dawn to hit our spots, except for our buddy with no bullets! While we hunted he sat by lakeside in eager anticipation for an approaching plane. Well I guess by the end of the day when he realized that no plane was coming he decided to drown his sorrows. When I finally got back to camp he was a quite a mess and before we even had dinner ready, he was passed out stone cold on the deck. We had now finished dinner had a few drinks and by now the temperature had really dropped so I thought we should check on our friend . He was starting to develop a nice coating of frost (no kidding) so dragged him the kitchen where he spend the next couple of hours thawing out. Again being the nice guy that I am took pity on him and dragged him up on the couch. We are sitting at the table playing cards when buddy rolls off the couch and crawls past us, reaches up to the door handle, pauses, turns his head and pukes in my only dry pair of boots! And then carries on out to the porch where he passes out again. Well we are all in disbelief. I yell, that #$%^^^6$$! Just puked in my boot. I jump up and sure enough I had a full boot! So I wash out my boot as best I can. I’m not impressed! Well I was outnumbered and they voted to bring him in again rather then smear him with peanut butter and leave him out for the bears, damn!

The next morning we’re off again, except for the hung over guy with no bullets. We hunt the morning and come back for lunch. Shortly after getting back to camp we hear a plane coming in. Buddy is like Tatoo yelling the plane the plane and runs outside. Well the plane comes over the camp and lands in the lake and we walk down to the dock to meet it. Well the pilot jumps out and ties up the plane. He says he has buddy’s shells that he’s lucky because he had to pick up a guy close by that had a chainsaw accident. We then notice this poor guy in the back , moaning with his arm all bandaged up and bloody. I’m sure he was impressed with the detour! Well at least buddy was happy to get his shells, and the pilot got his 50 bucks.

After lunch we head back out. I make the long trek to clearing I located with lots of fresh sign. I actually followed a well worn moose trail from the edge of the lake back about half a km through a tangle of blow downs and muskeg. After not seeing anything but the odd “stump moose” after a couple of hours and it getting close to dusk I pack it in and head back to the lake while there is still light. Once I get to the lake and into the canoe I notice something odd at the end of the lake in a small bay. In the shadows of the shoreline I see white sticks in the water that looked out of place. Odd, could it be? I start paddling closer after a few minutes I can now see that those white sticks are supporting a cow and calf moose! I put the range finder on them and am out just over 300yrds. I continue to paddle stopping periodically to range them 250 then 200, 175, then Smack!. I’m busted by a damn beaver! Now momma moose is looking at me and starting to move a bit. So I lie down in the front of the canoe get the calf in my cross hairs and the wind starts pushing me sideways! So I get it back in my sights and try to compensate for the drift and squeeze off a shot. Well the shot didn’t seem to bother the moose much but it got the canoe bobbing a bit. I manage to squeeze off two more shots before the moose decide they have better places to be. I head over to where the moose stood just minutes before and spent the next half hour or so searching for sign any sign, no drops of blood, no dead moose. Damn, clean miss!

Well back to camp with an exciting story to tell at least.

The next day I decide to set up within range of where I saw the moose the day before. After an hour or two I hear some noises back in the bush behind me. I try to get a look at what it is but the brush is too thick. A minute goes by and I hear a crack to my left and out comes the cow with calf in tow and jump in the lake. I watch them swim across the lake to where I had come out the night before and head into the bush in the same direction as the clearing I was hunting earlier. That was the last we saw of them for the week.

A couple other guys had been hunting another small lake that was a real chore to get back into. It was a about a 3 mile boat ride across the main lake then a 1.5 mile hike up and over a small mountain. Well they made the treck a few days in a row and decided that they wanted to try a new area, so the next morning I checked it out. I made it into the lake just as the sun was coming up and spent the entire day their doing a bit of calling here and there but without any response whatsoever. Then just before dusk off to my left out of nowhere a young bull silently walks out of the bush onto the shoreline and proceeds to walk down the beach away from me. Between the water and the bush is literally 10 feet wide so I am terrified that he is going to step into the bush before presenting a shot. Finally he pauses and turns out just enough to give me a clear shot. I squeeze off a shot and he literally jumps into the lake and starts swimming. Now I’m thinking this is crazy, did I miss? Is he is going to swim across the lake and escape? Well after swimming maybe 50 ft or so, he turns around and swims back to shore, slowly staggers up into the shallows. He looks like he’s hit hard but I squeeze off a second shot and down he goes! Yee Haa, moose down!

Now dusk is setting in so I take an old row boat across the lake which is approx. 200 yards across at that point and put my orange hat on his antler so we can find him later in the dark. Just as I’m heading back a storm starts to roll in, torrential rain, lightning wind a real bad one. So up the mountain I go hoping to get the gang on the radio trying all the way up. Even at the top I can’t reach anyone so down the other side right to the waters edge and finally I reach a buddy on the radio that was heading over my way wondering where I was. He relayed the message back to camp and the games began.

The others were just sitting down to dinner by the time the message came in so they gathered up their gear and headed out. There was no way we could dress the moose where it lay there was next to no beach to work on so we decided to drag it back across the lake. We had a bit of a debate over whether moose float, once that was settled we finally got it across to shore we did the old “heave ho” a few inches at a time until we got it up onto dry land. I decided that I wanted to have it mounted so we took the extra time to cape it which was quite a chore in itself especially at night in the driving rain. So we get him caped out then quartered. We then started the long hike up the mountain back down to the main lake to the boats. Finally we were back at camp, got the quarters up on the meat pole and covered with tarps. Finally dinner time 3:30 a.m. and chilli dogs on the menu! I’ll tell you getting that moose was brutal but rewarding, you couldn’t be paid enough to do that as a job but we would have done it all over again the next day without hesitation!

The next morning we put the head and cape out on the dock so that a passing plane would report it in so they would pick it up and take it back to base to put in their cooler. The following day a plane landed to pick up the moose, apparently they couldn’t believe we got a moose. And that was all the talk that the crazy guys with the plane load of beer got their moose!

Well before we know it were scheduled for pickup. We load up our gear, they only need two planes for the ride home! Roaring across the water towards the end of the lake and slowly rising up and over the trees is quit a feeling and getting a last few glances of the areas we hunted over the week from a totally different perspective was really neat.

We are now cruising along with the fall colours as far as you can see passing over many lakes below. We’re still scanning for moose! There are three of us in the back seat, with me against the right side door, another guy in the middle and the guy that puked in my boot is against the far door. He doesn’t like flying to begin with and is looking a bit green behind the gills at this point when suddenly he starts screaming that the door’s open. The latch let go and it is flapping in the wind. The pilot yells back to stay calm and shut it. Buddy is really freaking out trying to pull it shut but it won’t latch. So still having a taste for revenge over my boots still I yell out “how big of a splash will buddy make if he falls out over this lake”? So guestimates of 15 feet, 12 feet and so on ring out amidst the screams and swearing. Karma’s a female dog!

Another successful hunt that I won’t soon forget.

Sorry but I haven't figured out to post pictures yet.

here is Marks pictures.

Cliff.

412268522.jpg

412268521.jpg

412268523.jpg

Wow , and great story . As a hunter it's easy to put yourself into the story .....( except the barf boot ) lol . We always took canned beer in & flattened the cans for ease while going out . You seem to be the lucky one who runs into the moose just as I have been in our moose escapades . Every trip has a story to tell , whether it's hunting or fishing . I'll bet you could right a book on it ! And yes , karma's a biotch ain't it ...... :)

Hey Smerchly, yea I wouldn't recommend to the boot experience, Ha! We always bring cans too. Luck? Don't be modest, pure skill! Well maybe a bit of luck involved? I really treasure my time hunting and fishing and the moose hunt for me is always the ultimate vacation. Usually come away with more stories and memories than the rest of the year combined!

Cheers!

Archived