Scouting For Turkey

gunner-2

any one been out scouting for turkey yet i wen't for a drive this morning not really looking for turkey but came across a field

i seen two toms strutting with about ten hens with them.I think it's going to be a tough season this year remembering the last time

the weather was nice early like this year by the time hunting season came along the toms wanted nothing to do with new hens

they would gobble on the roost then after hitting the ground they would shut up basically saying if you want me you come to me even the

Jake's were quiet .But we will have to see what happens

Just put tom decoy and call em and get them on fight decoy, works for me.

Ya that does work for sure in the end thats what we did left the hen decoy home and used a tom decoy we did end up with a bird each in the end

I'm seeing a lot of birds in my area. But soon as opening day rolls around I

won't see a damn thing. :-)

Your not the only one that happens to lol that happens to me from time to time it can get frustrating

Only seen a few on my property this year. Last year we had many. The rabbits are goon as are the stray cats but coyote population here has exploded.

The coyotes is prob the reason way every thing is gone there taking over

They're taking their toll for sure.

I also didn't see deer yard up this year like they have the last couple, and I think their numbers might have been reduced over the last couple years as well.

They're taking their toll for sure.

I also didn't see deer yard up this year like they have the last couple, and I think their numbers might have been reduced over the last couple years as well.

Yes i believe the numbers of deer and turkey are down my brother-in-law has a farm in hagersville and he has seen good numbers of deer and turkey this year so they might just be

down is certain areas i hunt dunnville area for deer and turkey and i haven't seen the deer or turkey like i use to but if they are down they should spring back turkey are a hardy bird

i do have a good spot that i get a turkey every year i will see how that pans out this year.

Lots of deer here. See them everyday and usually 8 or more .coyotes come in low light and some pretty large size packs of 4 to 10.

10 in in a pack is a lot they need to be thinned out thats hell on for legs i don't think i ever seen that many in a pack the biggest pack i have seen had 5

the most deer i have seen this year was 2 weeks ago around 10 never seen them again

The coyotes around here are out of control. I hear them loudly every night and when I'm cutting the grass in the orchards I see them all over the place. As far as deer go I haven't seen any yet this year usually see quite a few by now. Only time will tell.

Gunner, it is normal for the Toms to be silent if most of the breeding is over. Patience is what pays off in times like that. The Toms will still come to your "expert" calling but may come in silent without gobbling. I have seen it many times where a hunter will get frustrated because there are no answering gobbles to the calls, they get up to walk away and get busted by a Tom that was coming in. Best of luck to you this season..............................Daniel

this is true i have had it before i had turkey gobble at first lite then after hitting the ground they just shut up and patience is a big thing in hunting if you don't have patience and just pack it in

you won't fill you tag in times like this i spend more time out there i have filled my tag around noon before .I have seen them come in silent even on a good day .Lets face it we are trying to make them

go against the rules as the hen is supposed to go to the toms . Another thing i like to do is not sit in the same spot i like to try to cut them off by moving around them if i can and that helps bag a bird as well but that can be hard if you cant get them to talk but thats why we call it hunting nothing is for sure

Nobody has more patience than a taxidermist ! ;) A buddy gave me some cooked Jake and it was just awesome ! I have never hunted for turkeys .....there were pheasants and grouse in the Smithville area about 50 years ago .

Gunner ....have you mounted any turkey's yet ? I was looking through Google Images and saw many poor mounts .....must be a real job to do up one of those toms .

...this mount was exceptional ...... Good Luck Gentlemen !

stuffed%2Bturkeys.jpg

OOOOH yes i do turkey they are very time consuming i rather do 10 deer heads than 1 turkey but thats all part of it so i don't complain

i just get it done

this is a bearded hen cape i did her beard is longer than most Jakes

Picture%20033_zpsaghfqj7i.jpg

this tom was 22lbs

032%203_zpskj7jjsf4.jpg

can't remember how much this one weighed

011%202_zpsyrgi6gnp.jpg

this is the breast mount i did for last years contest on hear

021%202_zpsbg5zhabe.jpg

There are more but i lost the pic or forgot to take pics

Amazing work Gunner.

I may have to get a turkey for you to do.

Trouble is.. I gave hunting up a few years back. I doubt no frills has a suitable turkey for me. Lol

GOOD JOB Gunner ! .....a lot of hours have gone into those mounts for sure ! I had a few free pheasant dinners & I hope you enjoyed some of the "meats of your labour . The colours of their plumage is amazing .

Cliff ....ask No Frills for a bird with feathers , may get a discount for saving on plucking .....

Archived