Shed Hunting

Jmo1685

Hey everyone,

Has anyone gone out or is going out shed hunting this year? Me and the girfriend are going out tomorrow up the Humber River corridor up by our place in Brampton. Hoping to find some this year. We have a few spots we are really confident that we should be able to find some. Just wondering if you guys have any tips or anything specific to look for in regards to where sheds could be? We're going to be checking all the stream crossings, places where we know there is lots of food (AKA, where we planted trees and shrubs for work this fall) as well as places with lots of conifer trees they may have used for shelter this winter.If you guys have any other ideas, I'd love to hear em.

Thanks,

Jake Mokrynski

I have been out a few times but no luck yet i found some good trails and some spots were they have been crossing ditches and fences but like i said no luck

there is another post on here i put up on shed hunting wanted to know the same thing as you lol some pretty good advice good luck to you and keep us posted

on how things work out for you

I have been out a few times but no luck yet i found some good trails and some spots were they have been crossing ditches and fences but like i said no luck

there is another post on here i put up on shed hunting wanted to know the same thing as you lol some pretty good advice good luck to you and keep us posted

on how things work out for you

Thanks Gunner ! Its looking like a solid 20km hike tomorrow... At least thats what Google Earth is telling me... By the end of the day im sure its going to be a solid 35km+ day. I will be for sure making a report when i get back in !

Got to keep a sharp eye out JMO (just my opinion) . They can be hard to spot in the bush among branches on the ground . I like to walk slowly in a zig zag manner and cover a 100' swath through the bush . When I hunted for moose near Elliot Lake we found the odd deer & moose shed ....lots of deer as well as moose in that area . Happy shedding .

Got to keep a sharp eye out JMO (just my opinion) . They can be hard to spot in the bush among branches on the ground . I like to walk slowly in a zig zag manner and cover a 100' swath through the bush . When I hunted for moose near Elliot Lake we found the odd deer & moose shed ....lots of deer as well as moose in that area . Happy shedding .

Thanks for the tip Smerch ! We have a map of the area and have made blocks out of areas we think we will find some. Will for sure be doing the zig zag idea that you have suggested !

Thanks for the tip Smerch ! We have a map of the area and have made blocks out of areas we think we will find some. Will for sure be doing the zig zag idea that you have suggested !

at least you won't sweat on your long walk nice cool temps for you good luck

Bedding areas are a good spot to look although you kinda have to distinguish between buck and doe beds always good to use a dog. My little gsp and I found a few along Bruce trail last year. Going out today Good luck

Well, we put in a lot of time and effort, but alas, no sheds for us. We found promising signs in one paticular area. There was scat, lots of tracks, rubs, some browsed plants and shrubs too. We really took our time at this spot but we came out empty handed. Was a beautiful day to spend walking around ! Goodluck to all those going out !

Well it was a good try getting out there is the first step and the next thing is to hope that there was any bucks in the area at the time of shedding

the weather don't look to good this week but hopping to get out this week and try again just keep trying Jmo1685 it will happen sooner or later

• 3 weeks later...

I Was just out on a hike right now looking for sheds. Was walking down a trail through some thick brush and kicked up a deer. I couldnt believe it was a 6pt buck still holding its rack. No wonder I havent seen any sheds around. Maybe this crazy winter has something to do with it?

Archived