Boat Problems Like Usual

Tyler0420

I started my boat yesterday, 1st try it starts I was in heaven. Let it run for a bit (in a barrel) forward reverse n at a idle. Shut it off after a bit n turn it back on 2-3 mins later starts back up. Did that 2-3 times n it worked great. But the problem is always after shutting it off n trying to start it 10-15 mins later. So I wait that long n start it. Like usual doesn't start n won't start again. I tried for a few mins then leave it n try again n again still no luck. WHY WONT MY BOAT START AFTER LEAVING IT FOR 10-15 mins but always starts the 1st time I try it. Thanks for any help u guys. (It's going to a shop anyways)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 stk-4 stk ? EFI ? I would check the fuel first . Unplug the line at the motor & push the pin with a screwdriver in to see if gas spurts out . Check the air vent on the tank see if it's clean & open , check the gas tank-filter to see if it not plugged up with dirt . The motor can run for several minutes with no gas line connected . Sometimes the rubber lines in older tanks deteriorate from using methanol gas . I would start there Tyler . You may find more info on Google by punching in the motor info . Good luck .

It's 2stroke. (Not sure what efi is)The gas lines were jus changed on it late last year. Tank vent was not open yesterday thanks for the reminder but don't think it's the problem. I will definitely try to start it again tho. N I will check the filter also. Thanks for the tips smerch :)

Do you choke when first start?

Do you choke when restart after 2-3 mins?

Do you choke when start after 15 mins?

Pull plugs once and see if wet when not starting?

What HP is motor? I have always worked on my own motors (lawn mowers, chainsaws, outboards etc.)and have only once taken one in for shop service.

I open the vent all the way to make sure it has good flow. Have you checked to see if you have spark when it's not starting? Maybe your coils are being effected by the heat of the engine, and need to cool down before they work properly again?

Do you choke when first start? Yes

Do you choke when restart after 2-3 mins? Yes if it don't start 1st try

Do you choke when start after 15 mins? I try both ways.

Pull plugs once and see if wet when not starting?

What HP is motor? I have always worked on my own motors (lawn mowers, chainsaws, outboards etc.)and have only once taken one in for shop service.

I have a 50hp mercury. I'm going to do a few small things u guys have mentioned n I'll let yas know how it works out. Thanks for all info guys

Run a can of seafoam through it when you can get it running, is it new fresh gas?

Thats a good idea. Try running it with the gas cap right off. You need fuel, spark, and air. If its gummed up inside the seafoam will clean that up. Then all you need to test is for good spark, like mentioned a coil problem after warming up...with the gas cap off that will let you know your tanks getting air.Also it helps to fog the engine and replace your bottom end oil at the end of every season...you can google fogging the engine. I can come down and help you if you still cant find the problem...txt me if you need a hand.

buy a cheap spark plug tester .then the next time you have the problem check for spark . if you don't have spark then (and it sounds like you wont ) then it depends on how old your motor is . it could be a condenser on a old motors or a bad coil or your modular . I hope that helps you a little .

My boat had a 1990 Merc 40 HP 2 stk .& after it warmed up it would stall out when trolling . After 3 trips to marina mechanics it was determined a complete rebuild was needed at a cost of about 2 grand . I happened to spot a 16' boat for sale with a 2005 Merc 50 HP EFI 4 stk & asked if the guy would sell the motor .....I got it installed for $3500 & it runs like a charm . I sold the old 40 HP for $700 .....happy happy . I hope you don't have the same problem ...whatever that was......I use Seafoam for all my small engines now . It made my snow blower run smoother .....maybe it would have helped my old 40 run better 6 years ago.

.....fresh gas Tyler .....

btw.....EFI ....electronic fuel injection

the old 40 HP had oil injection which made the engine smoke like crazy on startup .

Another thought. Heat.

When was the last time you changed the water pump? Do you have a compression tester? Test compression in each cylinder cold and after running when it won't start.

Water pump hasn't been done since I've had the boat 2yrs. Maybe that's something to try. I'm going to go over a few small things n check for spark when not starting. Is there a way to tell if the water pump Isent wrking? (Water shoots out of motor when running)

Archived