Boat Problems Like Usual

Tyler0420

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow thanks for all the replys guys. I'll be taking a look it this weekend. Maybe even take it for a troll Sunday (only need to start it once lol)

Cutting out when lifting the throttle would indicate a lack of fuel. Fuel could be draining back as it sits.

Inspect all fuel lines closely for cracks.

lines were replaced last fall.

Found the following on a tech site:

Whenever an engine is stopped the temperature goes UP and then slowly down again. This temp increase in coils etc might be enough to reduce the coil-output or in cases shorten coils/powerpacks/capacitors/points due to thermal expansion.

Purchase a can of freeze spray and use it to cool down the coils after the engine has been running for about fifteen minutes, I used to use this technique frequently to find intermittent faults when I was an electronic technician in the navy. If the motor starts after the coil is cooled down, you've saved yourself a couple of hundred bucks in labour costs. You should be able to purchase a can of freeze spray at The Source.

Good to hear Tyler0420 just don't go to far the first time till you know it's running good for is that the only thing you had to do so far?

Seafoam is all I've done sofar. Didn't get to check spark because the boat started lol.

Yes my friend was trying to use 1 year old gas is his mower & it wouldn't run.I told him to dump the half full can on the fire pit & put new gas(not gales) in it.Did that & it ran perfect,the gas would not even light in the pit.It was like starting diesel fuel.Old gas is bad news

if its not turning over when you turn the key look for loose or dirty connections at the starter . also have someone turn the key while you use your 12 volt probe to check for voltage ....td

Yes my friend was trying to use 1 year old gas is his mower & it wouldn't run.I told him to dump the half full can on the fire pit & put new gas(not gales) in it.Did that & it ran perfect,the gas would not even light in the pit.It was like starting diesel fuel.Old gas is bad news

Dumping gas( no matter how old it was ) on a fire pit is not good advice. It's a good way to kill yourself. You got lucky this time.

Ok. So the last time it didn't start it was my fault. I only reached under the tarp n turned the key not realizing the boat was in gear n that's why it wouldn't start. But I was "not happy" n said screw it I'll check it another day. So same thing happened today. So I lift the tarp n it's in gear. Put it in neutral n it starts. So I lift the motor cover anyways n find some corrosion on the grounds for the coil packs

(I believe). A72D4D3B-E10B-4E16-95DF-56DCFA8CBFD7_zps

66AB86FB-8B83-40C9-AE1E-53DA88D82186_zps Should probably replace these wires

its a wonder it ever started with that much corrosion .yes replace wires and clean head and bolt connections . that should put a end to all your problems td

I agree...thats some poor grounds. Replace those rusty nuts too. Wire brush the cinnections.

• 3 months later...

still boat problems, so today I take the motor cover off and start looking around. When I replaced the coil pack grounds I missed this one wire that was taped up.  Looks to be the only shoty wire left in the motor. So I untape it n the wire falls apart. FAF1766B-518E-485A-BA24-EC933B60C369_zps

does this mean my motor is a 1987?A68C1A76-529E-44DA-B4A0-E74735791935_zps

Archived