First Competition

DaveC

Fished my first competition on sat, and despite the weather i think i did pretty well. My first 1.5 hour beat i was alongside a big tree in not such a great casting area. I had all my rigs pre tied on tippet for quick changing to the leader. With my nerves getting the best of me...and fishing along with Ontarios top IFFC guys and the 2015 IFFC champion. Started out my first beat with my back cast into the tree along side of me. Crap....re- tye. Lift my sunglasses to see and my glasses snap in half. By now im flustered. I tye on and get out in the water....first fish i get broke of at my leader. Re-tye again....second fish i get broke off at my leader....now im losing it....lol. Next fish i land and get to the measuring trough...while taking out my point hook i get my dropper hook in my index finger...nothing bad but enough to draw blood...being on blood thinner im bleeding like a pig...for almost an hour all over my fly rod handle.. i dont give up though. I finish my first beat with 4 points. 5 min break then move to my second beat on the opposite side of the pond. Still not the ideal spot but i manage to score 5 more points before lunch. At lunch i ask one of the experienced guys why my knots have failed?? I was using 20lb floro leader surgeon knot to 8 lb tippet. The guys says the two materials are too dissimalar the i should have used a tappered leader our a lighter leader to tippet connection. After lunch i hit my third beat for my last 1.5 hour session. This time i rack up 12 points to finish the competition for a total of 21 points. A far cry from the gold, silver, and bronze champions who all scored 76, 69, 67. None the less i was presented with the rookie award for my score of 21 points and placed me in 13th position out of 21 guys. I was very pleased with my position despite my difficult start. Im addicted to this now....lol. My single hand casting has improved greatly with lots of practice with these guys helping me. If anyone is interested in competitive fly fishing lake, pond, river, and from a boat. We have about 8 more multi species competitions at various locations in south western ontario....feel free to pm me for details on how to participate.

All trout Tom, some monsters too....over 24". Its a trout hatchery pond, closed to our group.

We have another one there in 2 weeks time, after that.

2 day upper grand in Fergus

2 day boat fish Lake Nipissing Pike series

1 day island lake Orangville pike/bass

1 day thames river london bass

1 day trout lyndon New Dundee.

1 day saugeen trout.

What a story LOL ...save that one for the next Gunner contest Dave ....looks like a winner :clapping:

Sounds like a blast. Why blood thinner? You mean like a low dose asprin a day?
Least you did'nt get last :)

I have been on a blood thinner -water pill for over 10 years Cliff . I'm on Ramipril & it's for high blood pressure , and it thins the blood . I have donated at least a pint a year to the Canadian pike foundation ! There is a new low dose aspirin out that is made in a crystal form that quickly dissolves under the tongue ...supposed to be a big help to those in cardiac distress .....read about it ....carry some with you wherever you go .

I just hand shoveled my driveway & walks , plus two neighbours walkways ....I may need one of those little pills ...... :nea:

Good stuff you stuck it out the more you fish the better you will get not that you did bad not at all i know all about the blood thinners i'm on them to when i cut my self what a mess

keep up the good work your an your way

great report Dave. Pike on the fly will be fun.

Yeh thats the one im looking forward to....was looking at pike flies few days ago, big and flashy stuff. Picked up the new OPSA short head designed to toss big flies either overhead or spey cast. Soon as we get some weather hope to head out and test casting them.

My best luck with pike has been with Zonkers in bright colours. Orange and fuchsia seem effective.

I have also stumbled across a "trick" for attaching smaller tippet to heavier leaders, but I'd have to show it to you; I don't think a written description would work.

That of course means we're going to have to get together for a bit of time on the water this year. LOL.

Archived