Trolling With The Yak

DNorton

Just looking for some info for trolling lake o with the yak. What kind of rod / reel should I be using ? This is a whole new world to me and just looking for any kind of setup information and I should be able to take it from there. Been scouring the forums for old topics and got some info but would like some advice on what I should be using. I'm in the market for adding to my collection so any tips I'm all for it. Thanks guys

This time of year drag around a J9 or J11 Rapala near the green water/mud line for browns.Not a lot of special equipment needed for them.If you get into Salmon later on a okuma convector 45 is a good real for the $$.

One important tip is do not use too long a rod. It is pretty difficult to land a big fish if you can't get it close to the yak. There is always the possibility of hooking a decent size salmon too so don't go too light on your set-up. I use an Okumu Wild River spinning rod, Okumu Epixor 30 reel with 12-15 lb Stren Fluorocast line. For lures I go with Rapalas, Live Target and Berkley Flicker long bodied, deep diving baits.

my go to trolling rod and reel is a 50 series spinning reel with a 24lb drag spooled with 300 yrds of 20lb tuff line indicator braid on a med 8ft berkley ugly stick.

i like spinning reels over baitcasters in the kayak because its easier to put lures out and chuck spoons. the indicator braid is 3 colours red green yellow and the colours change every 10 ft. so you have the advantages of a line counter without having a clunky level wind.

the rod has a nice soft tip so you can see if the lure action changes because of crap on the hooks but will land anything. i own far better rods but use the ugly stick

my 4 fav baits

gold deep diving small live target banana smelt

gold large jointed live target smelt

clown bomber long a (replace the hooks with #4 2X strong trebles)

silver purple/blue bomber long a (replace the hooks with #4 2X strong trebles)

like mentioned above fish you cant fish too shallow, i landed browns,coho, lakers and a king in less then 8ft last spring in the yak. you dont spook fish like an outboard so you can fish in tight with shorter leads. i normally only have 30 to 60 ft of line out in less then15 ft

All I know for sure is I wish I was out there right now instead of stuck at work. Today is turning out to be a good one. It's the type of day that really gets me itching to be fishing!

Archived