Hunting Amendments In Thorold

pudge

• 6 months later...

I just got an email regarding this. If your free thursday night.

Thursday October 27, 2016 
6:00 to 8:00 pm 
Council Chambers, City Hall 
3540 Schmon Parkway 
Thorold L2V 4A7 

Another meeting in November. Different location

Wednesday November 2, 2016 
Thorold Fire Station #2 
701 Allanburg Road 
Thorold L2V 1B1

they have been trying for years though?

• 3 weeks later...

The Thorold Legion Conservation club (that I belong to) made a presentation at the April city council meeting and got the word out. The  attendance was overwhelming and surprised the Council members showing that they didn't have all the facts and underestimated the number of hunters and shooters up in "arms" about the effect of the firearms bylaw restrictions. They voted to table the bylaw revision to gather more facts and conduct public meetings. At that time we had discussions with the OFAH and they had sent a letter to the City Clerk expressing their opinion of the effects of the various parts of the bylaw revision. They suggested that parts of the proposed bylaw may not be legally enforceable. Having had some experience in consulting municipalities on crafting discharge of firearms bylaws that are fair to hunters and shooters and the public. They were told "no thanks " by the City Clerk at that time. That clerk has retired and the new clerk invited our club to meet and have another discussion. I represented the Club and the three hours discussion  was very educational for the Clerk and assistant who were there. They were very open to our concerns and welcomed our information. They also informed me that they had arranged for a meeting on Nov. 3rd with a representative of the OFAH. After the meeting, the OFAH rep contacted us and said he had a good feeling about the meeting and had some confidence about a better bylaw revision. As of today the Clerk had not issued any new draft of the Bylaw but said that more public consult was being considered with nothing happening until the new year.

I am a member of the Thorold Conservation group as well and helped put together a big presentation at the first council meeting. I met with council members before and had support which helped to get it deferred. I had also contacted Brian McRae at the OFAH, who met with the clerk. Two presidents of the club had met with the prior clerk and she basically dismissed everyone's opinion. The new clerk is open to ideas and listening to the OFAH and to us. There were 2 public meetings and OFAH recently met with her for what they described as a very good meeting. I have been in touch with the OFAH and we are also pursuing getting Sunday gun hunting in Thorold while they are amending the bylaw.

Archived