Dr. Smerch

smerchly

Well , it looks like my fishing time will be less since I will be giving my dog shots of insulin every morning (after he eats) & evening as he now has diabetes . Special food is needed to help control this and pee has to be checked everyday with test strips . ....hoping to get him in shape for our upcoming trips to Quinte in a few weeks or so ....

Not having any luck with the needle ...he bolted when I tried to give him the shot ....tried again , and he growled and will bite . He doesn't understand why I would inflict pain on him . Fishing time will be greatly reduced ....I have to wait until he eats before needle time . My wife has vision probs. & is not ready for this. The food is $33 per 8 lb.bag ( 2 cups daily).. plus canned food for extra flavour . The cost for insulin & syringes is about $50 per month . An alternative may be getting a muzzle and he would fight that tooth and nail and also be traumatic for this 11 yr .old dog , but it may be the last resort . The alternative is going with the new food & forget the shots which will cut his life short . He loves people and would sit on anyone's lap ....never had an issue with strangers ....a very lovable little guy .

I never had that kind of problems with my dogs but a few years back i took my dogs swimming at wellandport and my female choc lab stepped on broken beer bottle and almost took

her toe off i had to dr her up with that what a job and my male has allergies and the scratching get's way out of control and the meds are $100 and will have to get them soon but start him

on benadryl that seems to help till his allergies kick up bad good luck smerchly

Thanks for the tips and kind advice guys . I bought a nylon muzzle today from Pet value , but it's too big ....covered way past his eyes ....short snout and wide taper with a 16" neck ....hoping a size 3 will fit .

he doesn't see the humour with this rig.....

SAM_7073.JPG

I never had that kind of problems with my dogs but a few years back i took my dogs swimming at wellandport and my female choc lab stepped on broken beer bottle and almost took

her toe off i had to dr her up with that what a job and my male has allergies and the scratching get's way out of control and the meds are $100 and will have to get them soon but start him

on benadryl that seems to help till his allergies kick up bad good luck smerchly

He also has allergies that flare up in warm weather . We give him Benadryl for mild times and prescription Vanectyl for the worst times of scratching and panting .... Gravol for road trips . Dogs seem to have more health problems these days ....just like us ...Now we have more ticks and infectious mosquitos to deal with .

Thanks for the tips and kind advice guys . I bought a nylon muzzle today from Pet value , but it's too big ....covered way past his eyes ....short snout and wide taper with a 16" neck ....hoping a size 3 will fit .

he doesn't see the humour with this rig.....

SAM_7073.JPG

sorry to say we lost our beloved Rex today .....he was fine this morning , gave him his shot , he chased a rabbit & sat with us on the couch this morning . I cut the grass & my wife came to me & said something is wrong with Rex. He was panting & not responsive & very weak . I lifted him into the car & straight to our vet . She took one look & said , this doesn't look good ....did all the tests & said he is losing blood inside ....apparent rupture of the spleen and was losing the battle . We opted to end his life there .....She cried with us as it was a sad time for all of us ....She called us back to say he had cancer in the spleen and we did the right thing to end it quickly . We are going to miss him dearly ......

Thanks everyone , we spent many hours of our days with him & only had him for 4 years (age 7 to 11 ) . He was a very affectionate little dog , always wanting to make body contact with us . Every day as I read the paper , he would jump up beside me on the lazy boy chair and have a snooze for an hour ....so many little things we take for granted each day . It's going to be tough without him at our side.....Things like this can happen so fast leaving you in a daze .. Love your pets , they can be gone in a heart beat .

So sorry to hear of your loss, I know how much it hurts. I lost my partner to cancer last September and she was only 8. One thing that can't be taken away are the memories of all the good times, treasure them.

Thank you all again , cancer in dogs is a growing concern . There is an emptiness in the home after losing your pet as they have become part of the family , and it takes time to enjoy the memories and fun times they gave you .

This disease is common among dog breed such as boxers , golden retrievers , German shepherds & more. Rex was a pug/boxer mix .

Those who have dogs may be interested in this info about hemangiosarcoma .....it can happen so suddenly !

http://www.caninecancer.com/hemangiosarcoma/

Archived