Went Catfishing On Welland River - No Luck

RaedwulfFisher

So my girlfriend oh so badly wants catch catfish. I have never gone out to catch catfish and have no idea how it's done. So I spent my spare time researching and watching videos of catfishing rigs and baits..

well last couple of days we went to the welland river and tried to get some channel cats. Yesterday and today not even so much as a bite.

I heard suckers make great cutbaits but all I could get my hands on were herring strips from petes bait and tackle.

We'd go from shore (we dont own a boat) and make our casts not quite midway. I was using a three way swivel with hook and bell sinker..

today I tried a slip sinker rig. We'd cast out and let it sit for oh..maybe not quite 45 minutes..I changed the bait to keep it fresh and cast out in a slightly different spot..

So I guess I'm at a loss..is it the bait? or are they just stubborn fish to catch?

There slow every were right now the grand is the same way just keep trying i tried a couple times and not much happening yet if you get the chance try at night i find they turn on a bit better

but even that is slow as well in may things should turn around try using raw shrimp i have luck with it

The welland river is a good sized water body, there are some areas which seem to get them more, chances are if you see Styrofoam worm containers, deli counter packaging (chicken hearts), or a bonfire people like to catfish there, if you see none of that ... it might not be a spot for them.

I second the shrimp works really well I find the shallow parts of the welland river is good to start warms up a Lil quicker I do well in the chippewa Creek out by chippewa conservation just becarful people do own those parts and not everyone likes u fishing there I figured that out already

I second the shrimp works really well I find the shallow parts of the welland river is good to start warms up a Lil quicker I do well in the chippewa Creek out by chippewa conservation just becarful people do own those parts and not everyone likes u fishing there I figured that out already

Wellandport can be good as well but again i have better luck at night

I'm going to try Jordan Harbour this week I think :)

ALmost every video I watch on catfishing the guy says to use whats in the river..more often than not its gizzard shad or suckers..wish I was more proficient in my fishing...need more experience..want to get my hand son some suckers..when I was a kid I used to catch salmon and suckers with my hands in the oshawa creek....yea..I was a little crazy then...all in good fun :D

ALmost every video I watch on catfishing the guy says to use whats in the river..more often than not its gizzard shad or suckers..wish I was more proficient in my fishing...need more experience..want to get my hand son some suckers..when I was a kid I used to catch salmon and suckers with my hands in the oshawa creek....yea..I was a little crazy then...all in good fun :D

This is a list of bait i use that works very well

shrimp

sucker

chicken liver/beef

Catch gobies cut them up. Dynamite for channels in Jordan harbour gotta be at night though. Just my two cents.

^^ Dont do this. Using gobies as bait is against regulations and can get you a nice fine with that being an extreamly invasive fish.

Are the packaged shiners you buy at bassproshop worth trying?

I have never had luck with prepackaged dead fish ... but what is a few bucks if you can get a good sized cat ... you would be better off trying chicken livers though.

In jordan harbor worms will work. It appears suckers are out of the local creeks, but there is a few week window where they move up the creeks to spawn.

A dead chub minnow will also work, just a matter of putting in the leg work to find them ... also gives you a shot at some pike ... hoping the water stays higher in a few creeks so I can get some chubs once the pike season reopens.

Unlike the various species of catfish in the states that like smelly, stinky, half rotten bait, it is my experience that our Channel Catfish up here like fresh dead bait or live bait over the stink bait variety.

Unlike the various species of catfish in the states that like smelly, stinky, half rotten bait, it is my experience that our Channel Catfish up here like fresh dead bait or live bait over the stink bait variety.

I would have to agree i never had to let my bait get stinky

^^ Dont do this. Using gobies as bait is against regulations and can get you a nice fine with that being an extreamly invasive fish.

Didn't know cut gobies was against the rules. My bad guess I should refresh my regs. My bad don't do what I said and I won't anymore either :/

Didn't know cut gobies was against the rules. My bad guess I should refresh my regs. My bad don't do what I said and I won't anymore either :/

It is one of those odd rules ... since they exist and they won't be going anywhere ... especially if you are fishing the waters you caught it in ... but ya, that is one nice fine if caught.

I have always just used worms for catfish. Don't have to fish deep either, can catch them 10' off shore in the welland river just as good as out in the middle. Out by the welland airport and towards wainfleet has always been good catfishing for me

I haven't really targeted them much but my son and I did one day last year in Jordan and hit it just right. Non-stop action for the hour and a half we were in the canoe actively fishing, worms and cut bait worked equally well. Cats up to about 10 pounds that evening.

I was just wondering if the cats caught in the welland or grand river were good to eat . I have caught a lot up north the ones with the black back and white belly and they were very tasty .

I was just wondering if the cats caught in the welland or grand river were good to eat . I have caught a lot up north the ones with the black back and white belly and they were very tasty .

I've eaten grand river cats.

Archived