Fishing Environment

Same old story ......the first comment made " too many idiot fishermen "..... the garbage factor will close up more spots , and I can't blame them for doing so ....... :dunno:

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6546887-photographers-quick-thinking-saves-life-of-hooked-baby-swan/

Discarded line is one of the most destructive kinds of garbage. I've rescued a few animals and found more than a few that were beyond help. It infuriates me, especially considering that there are garbage receptacles all over the place, and if you can't find one, most of us have pockets.

Fishing line and cigarette butts are the worst type of garbage for our wildlife friends . Last trip to Jordan , a young guy got his new spool of 10 lb. Trilene mono into a huge bird nest , and left there ! These are the dopes who cause the closer to our fishing pleasures......If I see him again I'll thank him for the new leader line ... :slap:

Mute Swan ----> Invasive Species

Kill'em all like Gobies, Zebra Mussels and Asian Carp

That could be a consideration if the swans were as numerous as the cormorants which probably outnumber the swans by 100,000 to 1 ...... :)

More correctly, the mute swan is an introduced species. Like many other introduced species they are thriving. They may need to have some control measures imposed, but that is open to debate.

Other introduced species that are doing well include ringneck pheasant, the Hungarian partridge, brown trout, rainbow trout, and all of the salmon species in the Great Lakes except the Atlantic. And that's just a few examples.

Mute Swans were confined to parks when I was a kid, now feral populations are competing with native species in the wild. Yeah they are not generally numerous yet, maybe we should have just a few feral hogs out there as well . Neighbouring jurisdictions are serious looking at them as a problem, maybe we should as well. Most feral domestic species like pigeons and rats are offered no protection under game laws but the Mute Swan is :wall:

Good points on the mute swans Dave ....the links posted explain it well . Since we don't see many of them in this area , most people think they are harmless as well as very attractive to photograph ,etc . A few years ago, about 15 mute swans died at Martindale ponds , caused by eating toxic water plants . Many people were concerned about the deaths and the MNR did a thorough investigation to find the cause . Over the years we have seen many invasive species attacking our lakes & rivers and also seeing animals like beavers increasing in Niagara , causing much damage to trees , etc. And since world trade has been greatly expanded , we can expect to have many more invasives take residence here at a huge cost to our tax dollars...

I know a guy in long point he has been working with the MNR to get a swan season going if there going to be a season it will be a limited tag for now but

there not talking Mute Swans there going for the Trumpeter Swans

• 2 weeks later...

The rescuer is lucky he didn't get hurt.  It's not uncommon for an adult swan to kill a human, especially when protecting their young.  I've heard of more than one case where a person in a canoe or kayak got too close and was killed by a swan, they'll get right on top of you and start beating you with their wings and refuse to let you surface until you drown.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an Uncle that got his arm broke by a Swan he tried to rescue at the maid of the mist landing years ago. They are delicious by the way:P................Daniel

Archived