bass opener

teedee

Does anyone have an actual map of where the fish sanctuary is?  I was planning on heading closer to Morgan's point to avoid it, but would love to know the boundaries of it. 

Yesterday at 6AM there was a bassboat just off the palmwood with two guys casting the shallows for bass. I was always under the impression that you could not target a closed species. Accidental catch and release is fine but you are not supposed to be actively fishing for a species that is out of season. I was out for pics. Both east and west from the gas wells. Used a variety of worm harness colours and stickbaits mainly in the top 20 feet on very long lines both off the riggers and flat lining. Nothing, not a mark a knock-off or anything. The whole time I was out a tug (presumably from Minor's) was hauling nets.

Reebs bay out of the kayak for me.  As for the idiots above, take photos of them and report them.  However, you have to be prepared for confrontation.  I speak to people all the time about their illegal fishing.  It actually influences some of them to stop, if only for the time being.  We have to be stewards of our fisheries because the government doesn't do it properly.  Report them and hope for the best.  Or at least tactfully talk to them.  Just an idea.  I'm of the opinion lately that these people need to be publicly identified by people like us on a private website that someone could create.  You take a risk as a citizen with legalities, but that is still a decision for someone to consider.  The gentleman who abused the musky on St. Claire was publicly identified for thousands to see.  Why not others? Perhaps this case can be used to set a precedent of people recording illegal fishing acts without repercussion.  Sorry for the digression.  Good luck next time out.

what are the punishments for fishing out of season fish? I work on the Niagara parkway, and for the last few weeks have seen people casting and trolling the shallows. It's the same thing every year. It seems like an easy money grab for the government to fine these people. Are the fines not worth the cost of patrolling? Or is it to difficult to actually catch these people? obviously someone gets paid more money than me to make these decisions, just wondering what the reasoning is.

With pike being open it makes it hard to say your targeting one over the other. Its when you see them haul 8 smallies out and take pics of each one you ask them to move along. But even that can get you in a tight situation now-a-days.

Back on topic. Won't be out tomorrow. But will hopefully get a mix if smallies and bucket's Sunday.

Archived