Marlatts Pond first day Bass Fishing :D

RaedwulfFisher

Sorry no pics right now...

Just wanted to share my experience today fishing for Bass :)

I was using a texas rigged 10" berkely powerworm(dark purple) ...moved it reaaaaaal slow on the bottom..gave it a twitch here or there and let it sit..twitch twitch..sit..repeat..seems to work well

Well got to the ponds at 8:30 am. Not even 20 minutes into it and....MISSED three strikes D:..nothing biting for a while..moved location..got a small one first cast on the other side of the pond..got another one just a few minutes later.

Had a big one on (caught me by surprise) ..after that fun morning I was fishing for a couple hours with no more bites. I was about to go home because it was getting hot and I had work to do..not paying attention I missed a good fish. Casted it out..looked to the side..and boom my rod pulls down out of my hands..picked it up..fish off after just a couple seconds :(

Tried to catch him again...hooked him after just a few casts...had him on a good say 20 seconds...lost him again D:!!!!...tried to catch him again no luck..

well fished around some more..missed another fish on the bigger of the ponds...went back to where I had the big one on annnnddd GOT HIM AGAIN!...and lost him again *facepalm*..so annoying! So many missed fish today but had a lot of fun.

Got done at 12:30 and went home. Came back at 7pm with my girlfriend and went right to the spot I catch the most fish. Gave her my same setup..showed her how to fish it. We weren't catching anything (it's only been 15 minutes!) ..she gives up and walks way on the other side of the big pond XD!! Well too bad for her. I caught two small bass while she was gone...

Anyway..after the 2 catches in a short time I make my way to her. Hook a big one just minutes into it..damn thing jumped right out of the water and spit the hook out..was amazing..but such a shame to lose a nice fish..

so..had a hell of a day. Damn they were biting like crazy

Thats to bad Raedwulfisher but most of all you had a good day and that's what counts any thing more is a bonus keep at it you will get that big one 

just a matter of time this hot weather sucks i hate it makes for a hard day on the water but thats the game we play good luck to ya

Good report................It was fun reading it.........................I was there with my son, late in the afternoon....Only came up with three sunfish..............................................

Last year I was allover those ponds..it took a while before I caught anything..I was using all kinds of different lures to try and catch bass..I caught a couple here or there on spinners..then I tried plastics...dark colors and went reaaaal slow. Started catching them and hadn't had to use anything else..

I've tried at least a dozen different types of lures..and it all came down to a big plastic worms

Anyway..

I have a question.. usually in these type of ponds you see crawfish around the rocks. I haven't ever seen one at all.. are they in there? I have been getting great success on big worm plastics..but I want to try crawfish plastics

Caught this nice one today....same thing as always..big ol' plastic worm. Caught a few today actually. Missed a couple though (again!) ...need to get better at setting that hook...but it's not totally my fault..the setup I'm using isn't very sensitive and I usually notice the fish when it's too late.

Went to get my phone from the car to take a picture and...... ..I freeking dropped it on the ground -_-. It flipped under the car...I wasn't very impressed with myself. He was okay though..poor guy D:

bi.jpg

11 hours ago, RaedwulfFisher said:

Caught this nice one today....same thing as always..big ol' plastic worm. Caught a few today actually. Missed a couple though (again!) ...need to get better at setting that hook...but it's not totally my fault..the setup I'm using isn't very sensitive and I usually notice the fish when it's too late.

Went to get my phone from the car to take a picture and...... ..I freeking dropped it on the ground -_-. It flipped under the car...I wasn't very impressed with myself. He was okay though..poor guy D:

bi.jpg

I enjoy reading your reports'''

I have some  small plastic crayfish in a jar (Gulp) . I had more luck with the small size tubes ( green-brown-crayfish colour) . If the bottom is clean let it sit on bottom for a few seconds then pick up the rod tip & lift for a foot or so .....they will pick it up off bottom or hit it when it is moved , If there is algae on bottom I have used a 3 way with a light sinker and just a hook in the tube (no lead head)....slow retrieve. Hone the hooks whenever they appear slightly dull .....rocks will kill the points quickly . Tried good old fashioned worm?   :) Good luck.     :Gonefishing:

Fishing has been balls last couple days..literally not even a single bite ..prettttty lame.

I can even see the bass in the ponds around all the matted weeds and nothing I throw at them gets them to strike.

Funny how sometimes they're on fire other times they don't even care

Change your colours and your size of lures. I always throw an assortment especially if u know they're there but can't get them to commit. Fish can be like church girls, it may take a little more time and finese but they'll take it..... ??

I tried a bunch of different things but no luck. Almost had one go for a small worm with green tail..but it was just a reaction bite...otherwise they were very lazy today. At one point I counted 5 bass (all very small) just sitting RIGHT at the edge..schools of sunfish hanging with them as well...you could have scooped them up with a net.

Edit:

I think I understand why people want to safeguard their fishing spots so bad.

Where I go to catch the bass..I rarely see anyone there. I always see everyone else bunched together in the same spots everyday...and yet I RARELY catch anything in those spots.

I wouldn't want people to come and catch and keep all the bass ya know...would be nice to have a pond like Marlatts where it was catch and release only

U should try and expand your water.its probably not in your favour that your fishing areas that see mass pressure. Plus my best bass times are right before dark and early morning unless I'm fishing deep water. Don't get me wrong you'll get em in the day but the evening bite is way better for me anyways. 

I haven't gone fishing as much this week but I've still accumulated a dozen hours or so. It's likely been the most uneventful week of fishing for me. Absolutely nothing!

34 minutes ago, RaedwulfFisher said:

I haven't gone fishing as much this week but I've still accumulated a dozen hours or so. It's likely been the most uneventful week of fishing for me. Absolutely nothing!

Don't feel so bad RWF .....I  went to Port Dal. to nab a walleye or two for dinner  , using a worm harness in that muddy water but only managed a single gobie  ....great fight !  :rolleyes:

I also took the last dozen of my pond chubs to try for pike (or anything) at Rennie .......not a sniff after one hour .....

But ....we did have fish & chips for supper  .......thanks to Beamsville Fish & Chips !  ......costs about the same price as a J-13    :D

This goose helped pass the time away as it hopped through the grass  ......

SAM_7270.JPG

mm fish and chips..sounds nice..haven't had that in a while.

Sigh*

Well went out today for a few hours this morning....a lot of bass feeding on the surface per usual on a morning like today.

...and well..nothing.. =\...again... D:..losing confidence in muh skillz

It ain't yer skillz RWF  ....dem feesh are gittin smarter ......  :read:

Even though we have much more on the menu to offer them , & we have all the latest electronic toys & expensive rigs to find/catch them ,  they are playing hard to get .....giving us the old  :tease:eroo !  

Keep on them .....sooner or later they will forget it's a fake dinner with a hook   ..............:Gonefishing:

Happy Hookin  !   :)

17 hours ago, smerchly said:

Don't feel so bad RWF .....I  went to Port Dal. to nab a walleye or two for dinner  , using a worm harness in that muddy water but only managed a single gobie  ....great fight !  :rolleyes:

I also took the last dozen of my pond chubs to try for pike (or anything) at Rennie .......not a sniff after one hour .....

But ....we did have fish & chips for supper  .......thanks to Beamsville Fish & Chips !  ......costs about the same price as a J-13    :D

This goose helped pass the time away as it hopped through the grass  ......

SAM_7270.JPG

Kind of sounds like my fishing outings for this year''''

With my very limited knowledge I've had no luck but getting out is better than sitting at home staring at all your tackle. I think my problem is being limited to bicycle and ebike. I can't get to the less fished areas. My dad has always said it's called fishing and not catching for a reason. It took him decades of fishing to catch his first walleye. All we can do is keep trying and adventuring.

Well...I've been doing alright....I've already landed at least a dozen or more bass..would have been more but missed a lot...but the last 5 days or so man lmao..I dunno..the bass just aren't freaking biting...it's weird..it's like they just got turned right off...but hey...usually when a period is this slow it's followed by a good high

14 hours ago, Jer said:

The amount of one legged geese I'm seeing this year so far is unreal!

It must be hard for them to balance 20 pounds on one leg ....wonder what happened to the other foot ?  Maybe lost a foot when it got frozen in the ice ,  or  bitten off by a musky or snapping turtle ?   Any ideas ?    

Finally things turned around :)

Landed three nice bass, missed a few strikes though. Was only out for a couple hours! Lots of small bass feeding right on the shore..had a couple little guys keep following my big plastic worm was amusing....they would try to grab it but only managed to bite the tail off my lure :)

This one was just shy of 3lbs

20160708_101631.jpg

Another day..another update.

Great fishing again this morning. Nailed 3 bass in not even a half hour of time..that was a good start to the day so went home after that and time to get to work

Archived