Bog Fire

Figured some local hunters would be interested in this.  With the dry weather and all the fire bans I figured it was only a matter of time.  They even completely closed off access to the bog about a week ago but it caught fire.

http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2016/07/06/wainfleet-bog-burns-due-to-dry-weather

I guess there is some consolation in the fact that thousands of deer ticks are about to go up in flames.

I heard about that one good thing about the fire it's nature's way of cleaning up old growth and have a fresh start but on the down side i hope it don't get out of control 

and start fire's that will take out homes these fire's are hard to put out as these fire's can burn under ground 

Wainfleet fire chief Harry Flagg said the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry has been called to develop a response plan. Flagg said his staff isn't trained to deal with fires like this.

These fires have been happening for years . They have had lots of time to train people to properly deal with these bog fires . They use water bombers for huge forest fires and there may be a water source nearby or underground wells to tap in to if built before hand . It may be nice to burn up a few kazillion ticks , but I'm sure other wildlife perishes in these fires . We should be ready when these (expected) fires happen .  .....hoping we get a real good blast from a thunder storm.......

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

It may be nice to burn up a few kazillion ticks , but I'm sure other wildlife perishes in these fires .

You would be surprised Smerch ... animals know and they get outta dodge quick .... There were a lot of fires last summer where I worked and speaking with one of the teams who counts animals, they went out and retrieved all their trail cams once the one fire was gone, with how fast everything went up the cameras were singed but no damage, so they checked out the memory cards in them ... there were animals running and a little while later there is flames, so the animals knew to get out of there.

Obviously the weak may not make it, but many animals will with ease, and I would wager this includes the ticks.  With how dry it is, a thunderstorm is not needed, we just need rain.  Having witnessed how fast a fire from lightening can start when everything is dry ... it is not needed.  Especially in a place like the bog where everything is kindling and the fires can go deep into the ground.

Ya Snags , I should have said a good rain , not thunder & lightening .  It's good to know most animals can out run a forest fire ....except the young that may still be in nests .  I don't know about the ticks escaping but I haven't seen many mosquitoes lately !  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived