Large Mouth On The Fly

Bow Man

So with all this drought and heat i have not been able to fish for my beloved trout, so decided to try and hit up some bass today on the fly. Landed 8 LMB. . So this is the first time I have tried to target bass on the fly, so I am very happy with the results. All caught on size 10 black and brown wolly buggers. Landed a couple nice LMB

tightlines

NICE good job Bow Man good size bass for sure That's the thing about fishing if you can't get one species go for another and looks like it was a good call

congrats

Nice going Bowman. Been hitting them myself on the grand...lots fun on poppers and gurglers.

1 hour ago, DaveC said:

Nice going Bowman. Been hitting them myself on the grand...lots fun on poppers and gurglers.

Thank you Dave, this is the first year I have really targeted bass on the fly, and have to say it is a lot of fun.

Nice Largemouth Bow Man. I left summer trout fishing 4 seasons a go and became a Smallie addict.There can be some truly world class bass fishing in the area...

I'll give you some suggestions to try for Bass:

You can use much larger flies than size 8 for Bass.I can not believe how big of a fly even a dink Smallie can inhale.Most of my flies for river bass are tied on size 4 hooks and range in size from 3 to 4 inches.

For colours my go to are purple,Black,Sculpin Olive and rusty brown.Dark Purple is an extremely effective colour and just as good as black...

Obviously weight them with beads and also clouser eyes.A simple woolly bugger can be tied riding hook point up using a clouser dumbbell.Great for fishing deeper in a rocky river... Try substituting a rabbit strip for the marabou tail for a different kind of action.Try a Lefty Kreh loop knot which will change the speed of how the fly drops.

Bass love rubber legs get 4 rubber legs in to the body of your woolly buggers.try two flanking the tail of your buggers.I try to get rubber hackle in to the majority of my bass flies.Don't over do the number but tie some with the rubber on the long side...This and a rabbit strip tail and you have the ultimate wacky rig.If you're in a river dead drift these with a twitch,I also use this technique for Lake Erie Smallies. 

I use the rubber legs in mine quite often, and your right about purple...works great. 

Bass are great on the fly. Willing biters, get to a decent size, and they can put up a decent fight. Nice fish.

Pulled a largemouth out of a weedline in a river this past week on vacation using a deerhair popper. Not as productive as some other methods, but a whole lot of fun. Takes range from a gentle sip to rock-your-socks hard. Give it a try one evening before packing up. 

Archived