Back to vanning

smerchly

I miss my old van ...... the pickup is not as handy for fishing . I have been looking for the past couple months for a full size passenger van but nothing much in my price range . I finally saw a  97  Astro.in nice shape that I bought today with barn doors at back for easy loading . I hate to part with the truck since it runs so nice and is in immaculate shape , but a van is so much more convenient  for my regular short fishing trips . It's 5 yrs. older than my F150 and I hope to get a few more years+  out of it . I had a Safari 95 (same drive train) and it pulled my 15.5' Legend very well on the hwy , and not bad on gas (4.3l  V6). ..and the roof rack is handy for canoes , etc.  Still lots of them old mini vans on the road with over 300K on them  . Look for a beige Astro van with a big Harley Davidson decal on the back door .......

Cliff .....can I remove my NFN decal off the back window of the truck .....in one piece ?   :huh:

9 hours ago, smerchly said:

I miss my old van ...... the pickup is not as handy for fishing . I have been looking for the past couple months for a full size passenger van but nothing much in my price range . I finally saw a  97  Astro.in nice shape that I bought today with barn doors at back for easy loading . I hate to part with the truck since it runs so nice and is in immaculate shape , but a van is so much more convenient  for my regular short fishing trips . It's 5 yrs. older than my F150 and I hope to get a few more years+  out of it . I had a Safari 95 (same drive train) and it pulled my 15.5' Legend very well on the hwy , and not bad on gas (4.3l  V6). ..and the roof rack is handy for canoes , etc.  Still lots of them old mini vans on the road with over 300K on them  . Look for a beige Astro van with a big Harley Davidson decal on the back door .......

Cliff .....can I remove my NFN decal off the back window of the truck .....in one piece ?   :huh:

Cant be removed Bill.

I have another one here for you free of charge.

Don't attempt to remove old one it will be messy.I am going to st kitts early this afternoon if you want to meet or pm me your address and i leave in mail box

Cliff

2 hours ago, cplummer said:

Cant be removed Bill.

I have another one here for you free of charge.

Don't attempt to remove old one it will be messy.I am going to st kitts early this afternoon if you want to meet or pm me your address and i leave in mail box

Cliff

That's very kind of you Cliff ,  thank you ! 

Sent you a message , but you may have a full mail box .......  ok now Cliff , message sent

Drifter .....ya , should have kept the old beast ,  none of them around with only 110 km.......

Have to agree with the vans i love my truck but i had a 97 ford aerostar it was the most reliable vehicle i ever had when i got my truck i retired the van

at four hundred thousand clicks and drove it to the scrap yard 

3 hours ago, gunner-2 said:

Have to agree with the vans i love my truck but i had a 97 ford aerostar it was the most reliable vehicle i ever had when i got my truck i retired the van

at four hundred thousand clicks and drove it to the scrap yard 

I prefer the big old vans Gunner but it's hard to find a 6-10 yr. old Savana passernger van with low mileage ....and they hold their value well .

4 hours ago, Loonietoon1 said:

What type p;u do you have and price could be interested in it

My truck is a 2002  F150 ext. cab....2 wheel drive  in mint condition .  ...135,500 km. on 4.6 L. V8 engine .  ...4 section hard top cover on box.....new Michelin 17" tires & all receipts for passed work done ....runs smooth & quiet with no rattles . ...

I will be putting for sale signs on it tonight ...our street is very busy and the best place to sell or get rid of anything like scrap metal /junk  lol .

26 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I prefer the big old vans Gunner but it's hard to find a 6-10 yr. old Savana passernger van with low mileage ....and they hold their value well .

My truck is a 2002  F150 ext. van....2 wheel drive  in mint condition .  ...135,500 km. on 4.6 L. V8 engine .  ...4 section hard top cover on box.....new Michelin 17" tires & all receipts for passed work done ....runs smooth & quiet with no rattles . ...price ...$6000 with safety .

I will be putting for sale signs on it tonight ...our street is very busy and the best place to sell or get rid of anything like scrap metal /junk  lol .

Okay thanks smerchly looking for 4x4 and newer but thanks any way 

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't take long to sell the pickup .....neighbour bought it the second day after the for sale sign went up . My "new" van is 20 yrs.old in nice shape except for some minor rust on the panels ,  no power locks or windows etc....just pulse wipers , cruise , and yes , AIR !!   ......hope it gives me a few years of service ..

smerchmobile II .....

SAM_7370.JPG

.....look for the big Harley Davidson stickers on the back ......B)

7 minutes ago, I'm_A_Drifter said:

Looks like its in good shape. The 4.3 V6 is an engine GM should have never discontinued, but rather to evolve, like their great 3.8 V6 for the fwds.

Kms?

...170 km ....very clean inside & out .  .....new gas tank & gauge , new serp. belt & new compressor for the a.c.  Those old 4.3  cast iron engines have proved to be very reliable & many still on the road with over 300 km.  I had a 95 Safari ....great van !    These vans are quite roomy &  will seat 8 people or take a sheet of 4 x 8 plywood inside ....easy to remove the two bench seats .....Big gas tank too !!   :o

....will add my NFN sticker to it when I see Cliff .....

SAM_7371.JPG

15 hours ago, I'm_A_Drifter said:

Needs a bright green or orange G.Loomis decal on the back, too.

Too many people have their sticker yet never use their product...kinda dumb

• 2 weeks later...

Took the van to my mechanic to check out road noise  and small grinding sound during right hand turns , plus a few small leaks .....Well , over 2 grand later a new rear end was installed plus new tranny lines , seals , hoses and bearings and a set of high quality shocks all around . I wanted it to be in tip top shape before venturing off to Deseronto  pulling the boat .  It doesn't take much to go through a couple grand these days , but I have great trust in my mechanic who really knows his stuff and fixes things right .  Look out fish , the smerch is on the loose !   :o:Gonefishing:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-08-04 at 11:44 AM, Tyler0420 said:

It's only $$$$$ it gets spent everyday. If it's not the vehicle it's somthing else. 

Good luck on quinte smerch n stay safe. 

Thanks Tyler .....before venturing that distance I want some assurance the van can take the trip ( pulling boat) . As I was driving up Decew hill yesterday the van lost power near the top & wouldn't take the gas ...didn't stall , just had no power .  It's in the shop today ....could be cat.converter , fuel line filter , sensor .....It's a 20 year old van .....needs to see the doc. more often ....just like me .....:unsure:

The dealers make more $$$ with newer high tech vehicles ....they want to make it impossible for us to do repairs & charge $100 per hr. for labour ,  & the gov't gets another $13 /hr. tax ....They know what they're doing .....<_<  If they force their latest "idea" on us to have yearly safety checks ,  we will get our wallets thinned out again .   Lots of luck with your truck , hope it's only a minor issue ....like a fuse .  :unsure: 

6 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

They had to push it in and can't get a reading from the Ecu.  That was the 1st phone call. Let's see what they say next. 

They had to push my van inside since it wouldn't even start (cranks ok) but doesn't seem to be getting any gas . Best case scenario ....it's a clogged fuel filter ...

Could also be the fuel control module  or even a bad fuel pump ( tank & fuel pump are new).....This is cutting into my  :Gonefishing:  time .......:(...(need a crying emoticon)  ...............but I also have a bike .....B)

...turns out it isn't a fuel problem ...lots of pressure from the tank . After cranking the engine , sparks could be seen coming from the coil -distributor ....it would never start with the coil split open like this , so a complete tune up is being done today ....new plugs, wires ...the works ! 

So I believe I blew the ecu from a bad power connection to the battery. The connector was jus a bit wiggly n cracked, full of corrosion when I checked it. Could of arched n blew the ecu when I went to start it that morning  

we don't really know Forsure but could be it. 

Archived