Today's River dive

Jim K

Beat the heat with a Nice dive today. I paid particular attention to the smallmouth bass, as they are the river's most prevalent game fish. I tried to film as many as I could. The fishing for everything (except  salmon ) has been  pretty tough. I wanted to sort of get a general idea of the health of the fishery, particularly in this warm water. Even though the Smallmouth's range extends well to the south, higher water temps increase the metabolism of all life in the system. Sorry for the production quality, I strung it together quickly.

Thank you all. I sure wished I could have been underwater today instead of sweltering at work in this oppressive heat and humidity.

Hi Jim

I wanted to ask how you make out with all of the boat traffic on the river?

Thanks for sharing, I always enjoy the videos... makes for a relaxing lunch  hour at the office :)

John

I'd say we do ok. We tend to avoid low light conditions where the flag might not be seen, and also events like the poker run. In 20 years of doing it, there have been a few incidents, got hooked once by a #8 in the wetsuit, and the jet skis were a real menace until they made them take some safety classes. I actually worry more about the sailboats. I know that sounds kind of silly, but it takes a bit of skill and talent to sail well, and there's varying levels of that out there. They don't stop or turn quickly, they often have a keel that reaches down 2 meters, and they are  silent. I can hear a power boat a long way off.  

That said, most watercraft injuries to divers are by the boat that brought them out.  Tied off to a wreck in 4 foot rollers, diver's coming up the line, the bow dips down and catches him right on the noggin, or he gets nailed by the ladder.  the lower unit will get you too. Then there's the prop. 

Thank's for watching.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank's again. Do any of you guys fish the Thousand Islands region?  I dove up there last week and shot some video. haven't checked it out myself yet but i probably could string something together if enough are interested.

Archived