Just want to introduce myself and have few info

roman

Hello guys,

My name is Romain but I go with Roman, it is the English way to say it and it is also to avoid people saying "Romaine lettuce..." lol. I am from France and I leave in Canada, Thorold more exactly, since 2012 and I love Niagara region.

I used to fish for carp back in France when I was teenager but I was not really into it, so I new the basic stuffs of fishing but nothing more. I started to appreciate fishing during summer 2013. We went couple time to the Welland canal my girlfriend and I, we got lots of bluegills, crappies and very few small mouth caught with live worms and minnows but It started to get boring... So during the winter I searched what/where to fish, I went through NFN very often (great forum), and I found out lot of very good info... As you all know.

I caught my first big fish (other than bluegills and crappies) it was a lake trout, at my favorite fishing area, the Niagara Glen/whirlpool, (which gives me a good exercise as well) since then I go regularly go there and I caught lots of lake trout, few steelheads, lots of small mouth, white bass and sheephead. I mostly use spoons, spinners and I'd love to try these long rods with center pin but it is a bit expensive and I have been traveling a lot lately so I need to save a bit of money, hopefully I can have this kind of setup for next spring. I also tried Port Dalhousie with 3 way on eggs bag and streamer but no luck at all. I also go to Lake Gibson and I got couple large mouth with live minnows but I haven't try lot of places there, only east side of Kaye ave but i'll go tmr and try every where I'm allowed to fish. I also tried few other places but no luck and I haven't tried hard either because as I said I mostly go at the lower Niagara river.

I also would like to catch other big fish like walleye, pike, brown trout and salmon (maybe other that I don't know about) but I don't know much about these ones, maybe next year. I'd like to go with some one that know that area and the species very well to learn more about them. I always catch and release. I really love fishing (mostly just being in the nature) I can stay all day long even without catching anything. I even when back to school to get my grade 12 in order to do a 2 years program (fish and wildlife) at Lindsay college.  I usually go fishing by my self or with a friend once I a while but I really would like to go with a knowledgeable person or people.

I also want to say thank you to NFN for creating this forum and every one that posted all these info because it helped me so much.

Welcome Aboard! 

I too too am a fellow Fish and No Life graduate from Fleming. When did you graduate ? I graduated in 2014 and have been lucky enough to be doing fisheries work with TRCA ever since. 

Hope to see some fish from ya soon ! :)

Hi jmo1685, I didn't start the program yet I need the high school diploma first and I'll get it in june nest year. Then I'll start the "fish and no life" program September 2017. I will go at lake gibson today, I hope the weather will be nice with us, so I may put few pics if I catch anything. 

Hi tyler, oooh yeah I'll definitely go to the pool the next 2 months, I'll go back to school mid October and I'm free every morning during the week days so I have plenty of time to go. I'm not really sure about how to catch the salmons but I will find out.

8 minutes ago, roman said:

Hi tyler, oooh yeah I'll definitely go to the pool the next 2 months, I'll go back to school mid October and I'm free every morning during the week days so I have plenty of time to go. I'm not really sure about how to catch the salmons but I will find out.

Welcome, toss spoons at the pool of stick baits.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 4:49 PM, Tyler0420 said:

Glow spoons at night, spoons,rapala j13 is a good start. 

Hi Tyler, thanks for the info.

Is that a Glow spoon and do you think I can use smaller size for the regular spoon or the same size as this one?

fish.jpg

Hard to tell if its a glow spoon. A glow spoon has a dull off white colour that you flash with a camera flash or flash light and it glows neon green in the dark. Cup it in your hand so its dark...youll see right away if it glows. Many people have been lost in the dark down there "pool" at night and cant find the stairs...i suggest if your not familiar to go with someone who knows, or head down early morning before it gets light. When theres cars in the parking lot at the pool...theres likely fish.

Ya like Dave said. Shine a flashlight on it n see if it glows in the dark.   If u jus bought it the package would say glow on it. Local shops should have them n some even make their own so they r cheeper like 3 for 10$ rather then 7$ a piece.  Also a KwickFish is always good to have. I jus let it sit in the current. They put off so much vibration it calls the fish in. Then bang fish on lol.   Pm me if u want n maybe we can meet up somtime. 

1 hour ago, DaveC said:

Hard to tell if its a glow spoon. A glow spoon has a dull off white colour that you flash with a camera flash or flash light and it glows neon green in the dark. Cup it in your hand so its dark...youll see right away if it glows. Many people have been lost in the dark down there "pool" at night and cant find the stairs...i suggest if your not familiar to go with someone who knows, or head down early morning before it gets light. When theres cars in the parking lot at the pool...theres likely fish.

Thank you DaveC,

Sorry I actually did not know what glow meant but now I got it, it has been sitting on my shelf for a while just below the window and it glows green at night but only the clear side of that spoon. I'm very familiar with the paths at the Pool, I came back from the rapids after 9pm last Monday with only the screen light of my phone. I completely forgot to bring a flashlight, I was also supposed to come back around 7pm but you know, when you say 5 more minutes it becomes 2 more hours...

59 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Ya like Dave said. Shine a flashlight on it n see if it glows in the dark.   If u jus bought it the package would say glow on it. Local shops should have them n some even make their own so they r cheeper like 3 for 10$ rather then 7$ a piece.  Also a KwickFish is always good to have. I jus let it sit in the current. They put off so much vibration it calls the fish in. Then bang fish on lol.   Pm me if u want n maybe we can meet up somtime. 

Thank you for the advise,

I wild definitely go have a look at peter's tackle shop for these spoons (I found this spoon at the Pool while picking up garbage on my way back to the parking lot). I already tried KwickFish black and silver on 3 way with no luck and I always get stuck on a rock or something even if I to off the bottom hook of it, maybe the weight is to heavy, don't know. I will try again during the next months, the thing is that I had so much success with spinners and spoon that when I try some thing else and it does not work for like 20 minutes, I give up and go back to spinners even though I don't get anything for 1 hour (human's brain is funny some times).

Archived