Reel drag question

jay33

I have 2 Quantum reels with the flipping switch. Both of them the drag even cranked down are no good for flipping.  I cannot pull the fish from the grass or weeds.  My Abu Garcia reels have great drags but all my Quantum reels have weak drags. Anyone have an idea?

You just need to replace the drag washers.  The could be worn or squished - they get shiny and lose their grip.

Carbontex washers will provide some good, heavy drag pressure and don't burn out like the cardboard washers.  Give me a PM or text if you need help with it.  Pretty easy to change.

4 hours ago, Canalinvader said:

Cant buy a plastic shovel to dig in clay

Same as cant buy junk reels to do serious hard work.  I stick to shimanos high end stuff. Never have problems and customer service is awsome worth the extra money.

I have lots of high-end and low-end reels (Shimano)...the drag washers wear out eventually when filpping - when you have they drag as tight as possible and you heave out 40lbs of salad, you're going to burn out some drags.  $1000 saltwater reels burn out drag too!

Oh please .... Abu and quantum are canadian tire brands yea they have some better reels but for the most part cheap junk cheap plastic parts cheap cardboard drag washers ...yea upgrade your drag washer then your bearings while youre at it and hey maybe after 150dollars your cheap reel will work better.....or just buy a good one :) hey to each their own you wana buy junk then thats what you get. Yes all drag washers wear out thats true but ive had my calcutta for 6 years hundreds of salmon and rainbows landed drag cranked down and still rocking.... I dobt thibk i could say the same for abu or quantum.  I have a 'backup' abu for muskie it broke before my calcutta 400 te and i use the te always and the abu maybe a handful of times before it broke.  Luckily i got it for free (the most id pay for abu)

But hey get what you want use what tou want just dont be surprized if you buy a pontiac sunfire and i whizz by you in my lambo ;)

Thanks... Also i duno what that guy is talking about.  I think you are either misinformed or just talking when you really dont know... Generally salt water gear has lever drag system...no washers but sure.   Unless of coarse you buy some cheap cardboard abu or quantum salt gear lol hey why not try the shakespear baitcaster while your at it its only 19.99

Heres the true way to fix your abu or quantum reel 2 easy steps 

Step 1 Place the reel in your right hand with the handle facing away from your body

Step 2 proceed to throw the reel far into the lake.  

Problem solved now go buy a mans reel and leave the canadian tire crap for the kids ;)

I don't know about that canalinvader I have a quantum smoke with a veracity and I love it to fish heavy heavy lillies and weed cover.  Never ever had a problem with the drag. Jay33 when you put your braid on did you use some backing it is very possibile your lines spinning around your reel? Also remember to keep that fishes head up to help from grabbing way to many weeds ;) 

Lol yea as i said abu and quantum make some better reels but they still junk compared to shimano.  And yes shimano makes junk reels too..... I duno why youre getting so butt hurt about it sorry you bought a crappy reel.  And yes by posting that video you proved my point.  Hoe many hours of modifications did it take to beat that STOCK lambo..... Lmao sure whatever man do what you want.

Canal invader, why so opinionated?... 

Sure shimano is great but it's no van stall... Other brands make good reels as well.. sure shimano makes Stella's, and the ci4+ and the sustain, but in my opinion I believe they are priced higher than they should be. 

On to my next point, and again, my opinion. Diawa, who makes some very nice reels is a cabelas brand. Which is basically a bass pro brand. And in terms of box box stores should mean they are crap with your understanding? I know I see a lot more low end shimano rod/reel at places like Canadian tire, Walmart. You also see low end quantum bait cast combos. Why are they sold at Canadian tire?.. to get people into bait cast fishing without dropping major bucks. 

In the end, every company makes low/med/high quality reels. From business perspective they have to. But when it comes to high end reels, were talking smoke, ci4, mgxtreme, ext... They all become the same reel to an extent..

Maybe my mindset is to open. But I get to fiddle with these reels all the time. You'd be amazed to see where these reels are manufactured and what ones we have more problens with.

Just to cover myself, this is not me bashing any brand or anyone for that matter. Simply putting my thought out there that all brand have ups and downs with products they put out there.

a $200 ebay turbo.... not many hours there lmao

spinning sucks? so how do you dropshot? with your 400te lmao

anywho whats im saying is not everyone has that kind of budget but just to prove a point id put my bass pro qualifier with boca bearings almost as good as my 16stile.. in fact the qualifier is usually the one I choose to bring out over the stile.....

No worries just my opinion didnt mean to start a huge debate about it. Sure those companies make some decent reels but i just dont trust em.  Thats all im saying is shimanos been tried tested and true to me so thats why i plug then so much.  After getting burned by the others numerous times just would rather stick with the better one imo 

Also i dont fish for bass so i dont dropshot ever too boring for me (dont get mad bass guys im just not into it) plus dragging a 2lb bass in with 10lbs of weeds just dont do it for me but hey to each their own. 

So you have no experience fishing for bass in heavy cover but go all out to trash a guy who does? Trolling for salmon and flipping for bass are two different animals entirely. He wouldn't use a Calcutta 400 for flipping any more than you would use an smaller low line capacity reel for trolling.... apples and oranges people....

As far as drag systems go, when you are done your day, lossen off you drag completely, it will last forever, I've got a number of $25 reels I've owned for 20+ years that will attest to that no different than my $200 reels. It's all in the care and maintenance you put into them.

Wo easy there killer whered you get the info that i have 0 exp fishing for bass buddy listen ive been around for a long time done it all i said i dont fish for bass because its boring... Not that ive never done it.  I said it doesnt do it for me. If ypud read what i said instead of getting all little kid tantrum mad on me ypud realize that.   Chill bro catch what you want how you want it dont bother me. He asked for opinions i gave mine thats called democracy people can say what they want to doesnt mean you have to get mad just disagree its called discussion 

4 hours ago, Canalinvader said:

No worries just my opinion didnt mean to start a huge debate about it. Sure those companies make some decent reels but i just dont trust em.  Thats all im saying is shimanos been tried tested and true to me so thats why i plug then so much.  After getting burned by the others numerous times just would rather stick with the better one imo 

Also i dont fish for bass so i dont dropshot ever too boring for me (dont get mad bass guys im just not into it) plus dragging a 2lb bass in with 10lbs of weeds just dont do it for me but hey to each their own. 

No worries the 400te is more suited big baits, swim baits and we aren't on the California delta lol so I assumed bass fishing wasn't your cup of tea.. tight lines

1 hour ago, Canalinvader said:

Lol

Enough already.....if you cant answer the posters question, move on

On 2016-09-18 at 4:22 PM, jjcanoe said:

So you have no experience fishing for bass in heavy cover but go all out to trash a guy who does? Trolling for salmon and flipping for bass are two different animals entirely. He wouldn't use a Calcutta 400 for flipping any more than you would use an smaller low line capacity reel for trolling.... apples and oranges people....

As far as drag systems go, when you are done your day, lossen off you drag completely, it will last forever, I've got a number of $25 reels I've owned for 20+ years that will attest to that no different than my $200 reels. It's all in the care and maintenance you put into them.

Agree JJ .....I bought one "expensive"  spinning reel in the 80's , a Stradic 4000  with 2 spools , for $120 .....caught a nice carp with it last Thurs. The rod was bought at C.Tire for $60 about 15 yrs.ago ( 10.5' Berkley , very lively)  . As JJ said , back the drag off every time .  My carp rod & reel combo are both under $100 & that works for me . My best gear is mid range in price and I have broken a few rods , in car doors etc.  Got a new bail arm for my Strad.4000 this spring & hope to get many more years out of it . I'm a chevy guy , not a BMW .....I think we have gone overboard with our fishing equipment  over the years....way to high tech & over complicated  &  $$$$.  Looking for carp tomorrow ....hook , sinker , corn .  :Gonefishing:     (old school)   ;)

How did we manage to catch those big cats & carp on my Dad's old South Bend bait casters with the thumb drags ? LOL . I suppose , when you reach "professional " status and have a fat paycheck , price doesn't matter ....sort of like paying 5 grand for a bicycle or a golf club. For average Joe , going mid range in price to suit the type of fish targeted is sufficient . Some men drive a Cadillac , some men drive a Ford , but my old man (me) is satisfied with 4 wheels and a board. (old song)

In a recent carp post I got hung up in some very heavy weeds , fish still on .....Rather than put a lot of strain on my cheaper bait runner spinning reel , I wrapped my braid line around a piece of wood & pulled to the breaking point & dislodged the weeds with fish intact . I have never tightened the drag down to the max. Maybe that's why many of my reels are still ticking.....

On 15/09/2016 at 5:07 PM, Canalinvader said:

Thanks... Also i duno what that guy is talking about.  I think you are either misinformed or just talking when you really dont know... Generally salt water gear has lever drag system...no washers but sure.   Unless of coarse you buy some cheap cardboard abu or quantum salt gear lol hey why not try the shakespear baitcaster while your at it its only 19.99

Heres the true way to fix your abu or quantum reel 2 easy steps 

Step 1 Place the reel in your right hand with the handle facing away from your body

Step 2 proceed to throw the reel far into the lake.  

Problem solved now go buy a mans reel and leave the canadian tire crap for the kids ;)

At 4:43, you can clearly see this gentlemen is changing a drag washer on a high-end, Shimano, saltwater lever drag, round reel.  

How did you think drags worked...with magic and hope?  Do you even know what the lever drag is for or how it works?  It would be metal on metal without a drag washer...sorry, who doesn't know what they are talking about?  Please don't give anymore terrible advice to a guy who clearly just had a question and needed help.  If you would care to discuss this further over a coffee, I would be happy to meet you for one, but it probably doesn't need to be hashed out on here any further.

Archived