Big changes possible for turkey hunting!

thefrog

http://www.oodmag.com/news/turkey-hunting-changes-proposed/

So the MNR has proposed some changes to the turkey hunt here in Ontario. I personally haven't gotten my turkey license yet but I do see a bit of a draw back from the funds raised by hunters taking the coarse. On the other hand this may draw more hunters out and that money could potentially be raised by the increase of tag sales. Thoughts? 

IMO It makes total sense to incorporate in the regular hunting course for sure. It will cut down on the time and expense along with the PITA factor as well.

Ya it makes sense to me as well But one thing i do think is that our turkey management need a lot of work with this change every new hunter getting his licence will

get his/her turkey licence as well and with that many more turkey hunters will put a bad mark on the pop as the turkey numbers have dropped a bit and i can see with the growing number of hunters we will put the turkey at risk again 

14 hours ago, kgm said:

This is awesome. Where I took my hunters they pretty much covered turkey hunting, but then told us we still had to take the course. Also excited about a bow season for turkey. 

Yes i'm all for the bow season as well 

20 hours ago, gunner-2 said:

Ya it makes sense to me as well But one thing i do think is that our turkey management need a lot of work with this change every new hunter getting his licence will

get his/her turkey licence as well and with that many more turkey hunters will put a bad mark on the pop as the turkey numbers have dropped a bit and i can see with the growing number of hunters we will put the turkey at risk again 

My exact worries 

I think that it's a sign of success that turkey are being brought back into the regular hunting courses. Ontario has gone from having no turkey before reintroduction in the early 80's to an estimated population of 70,000. I know of at least 3 large flocks within a 20km radius of my house. Sure, the population will go through ups and downs, we've had some harsh winters and the coyote population is on the rise. But with continued management I see no reason to keep it a separate course.

If anything I would like to see tighter regulations on deer in my area. To much stupidity going on during shotgun season.

Archived