Places to waterfoul hunt

kgm

Hey all, this is my first year hunting and I am looking for some places to duck hunt. I have been out to long point already this year but would like to find a place closer. Just wondering if there are spots on the grand river around dunville that are ok to hunt. I have read that the marsh between dunville and port maitland is all privately owned. What about up river from the dam, is there anywhere up that way that is not privately owned?  Not looking for anyone's spots, I am totally willing to put in the leg work to find a spot. I just want to make sure it's ok to hunt up that way. Also if there are any other areas around. Any help is greatly appreciated

thanks

mud lake has always been good hunting . they have 3 blinds set up . its first come set up . you park your car in the numbered spot of blind and walk in . there is a big map in parking lot of the blind locations .

20 hours ago, kgm said:

Hey all, this is my first year hunting and I am looking for some places to duck hunt. I have been out to long point already this year but would like to find a place closer. Just wondering if there are spots on the grand river around dunville that are ok to hunt. I have read that the marsh between dunville and port maitland is all privately owned. What about up river from the dam, is there anywhere up that way that is not privately owned?  Not looking for anyone's spots, I am totally willing to put in the leg work to find a spot. I just want to make sure it's ok to hunt up that way. Also if there are any other areas around. Any help is greatly appreciated

thanks

Hey kgm yes all the spots on the lower grand is privately owned the BBQ in dunnville rents out spots 200$ and i can tell you it is not worth the money the owner pretty much

rented the marsh to his buddies from Toronto my buddy hunted there for 2 years at 200$ a blind now he want's 200 a person and no ducks and geese have been shot there this year The lower river has been crap for 2 years now i do hunt the lower river around December but i hunt out of my boat no one can say a thing all legal thats why i built a blind

for my boat the upper river is a rat race fights all the time there are lots of spots but getting access is hard unless you know the river trying to find these spots are hard and have to put in at dunnville and that can be hard and a long boat ride to get to a spot where there is no one hunting down in york if you know york there are islands there you can hunt but you have to park on the road and walk across the river to the islands and that can be very tricky my buddies hunt there and almost every time someone goes for a swim not nice

when the water is cold 

There was a group sitting in a boat out front of my cottage this morning blasting away. Last week they were shooting from shore. This would be at the end of golf course road where it turns to Lakeshore.

I went out with a friend to Reebs Bay with a aluminum boat, we didn't get any ducks or geese but could have shot about 2,000 cormorants lol.

I have been trying to duck & goose hunt for 2 years now but its tough,I am luck if I can get out twice a year,  a boat is pretty much a necessity unless you can get permission elsewhere, I am saving for a aluminum boat, or i'll just bite the bullet so to speak and go finance one. 

I was fishing gibson last week when a huge flock of geese came in . I heard the racket first and couldn't believe the size of the herd  !   There must have been over 200 geese in that flock !   Most of them left during the morning in bunches of 4 to 30 at a time .  No hunting ....and they KNOW it !    :th_fudd:...:tease:

NPMyqFARykq0GUHpK7h4Pa6LzLF43busW_DemRz0

this year i did my home work and found a farm with a good source of water and now i'm  starting to feed it and will feed it till freeze up it was holding some wood duck / Mallards no great numbers yet  but now that i'm feeding it i can't hunt it when the ice is out i will start to feed it again i won't hunt it next fall as well as i will let the ducks get accustomed to that spot.I know it's hard to find spots to hunt duck and geese but ask farmers you will be surprised how many farmers hate geese and will let you hunt them what i do is get out and find flocks of geese or ducks and go on a road trip following them to there feeding spot then try for permission if i get the go ahead i would go to that spot the same day a hour before dark and as they get up and head off to there  roosting spot for the night i will follow them to see where they go if there is someone that own's the land  i would try for that spot and if i got the go ahead two spots to hunt the same day if i don't limit out in the morning. but unfortunately most of the time it don't pan out that way oh well that's the game we as hunters go through but hopefully in 2 years i will have that dream spot

Thanks very much guys for all the pointers. I have a boat and the guys I hunt with have a smaller boat so access to some of these areas shouldn't be to difficult. I will make sure to post my success or lack of it. 

On 2016-10-23 at 7:24 PM, smerchly said:

I was fishing gibson last week when a huge flock of geese came in . I heard the racket first and couldn't believe the size of the herd  !   There must have been over 200 geese in that flock !   Most of them left during the morning in bunches of 4 to 30 at a time .  No hunting ....and they KNOW it !    :th_fudd:...:tease:

NPMyqFARykq0GUHpK7h4Pa6LzLF43busW_DemRz0

I drove by Gibson the other day and was wishing there was a few spots to hunt there. Always full of ducks and geese

On 2016-10-23 at 9:28 PM, gunner-2 said:

this year i did my home work and found a farm with a good source of water and now i'm  starting to feed it and will feed it till freeze up it was holding some wood duck / Mallards no great numbers yet  but now that i'm feeding it i can't hunt it when the ice is out i will start to feed it again i won't hunt it next fall as well as i will let the ducks get accustomed to that spot.I know it's hard to find spots to hunt duck and geese but ask farmers you will be surprised how many farmers hate geese and will let you hunt them what i do is get out and find flocks of geese or ducks and go on a road trip following them to there feeding spot then try for permission if i get the go ahead i would go to that spot the same day a hour before dark and as they get up and head off to there  roosting spot for the night i will follow them to see where they go if there is someone that own's the land  i would try for that spot and if i got the go ahead two spots to hunt the same day if i don't limit out in the morning. but unfortunately most of the time it don't pan out that way oh well that's the game we as hunters go through but hopefully in 2 years i will have that dream spot

That's awesome Gunner. I hope all your hard work pays off.  Thanks for all the advise on the grand as well. Now that the weather is changing maybe the ducks will get moving. 

3 hours ago, kgm said:

That's awesome Gunner. I hope all your hard work pays off.  Thanks for all the advise on the grand as well. Now that the weather is changing maybe the ducks will get moving. 

The birds are moving around now ya it's hard work for sure but i'm confident it will work out i will be checking on it this weekend my buddy is helping so it takes a load off me

Archived