12 gauge shots for hunting

Steve_Guelph said it all as a taxidermist i see deer shot with a slug but when i am fleshing the cape i find  buck shot in the skin and it just don't do the job so if your after deer use slugs

I agree with the above post use slugs. if you have a rifled barrel with the proper slug then you can reach out to 200 yards . that's good if your sitting in a blind or on stand with a clear view during a drive . but I found that if your walking or on a drive through the bush your better off using 00buck because some times you can get close to a deer in his bed before he runs . because of heavy brush the 00 buck gives you a better chance at making a hit ..td

Back in the "day" , many moons ago,  we had the option of using "SSG's)"  . I believe each shell held about 9 pea size pellets which some used for jack rabbits as well as deer .  Another favourite by some hunters was the 410 slug which did the job nicely . My first time gun was a 20 gauge Cooey single shot , wish I had kept that nice little piece .

Archived