Coyote hunting

295-Assassin

Just looking for input on everyones preferences for coyote hunting with regards to gun type. I am getting a varmint rifle in a couple months but want to see if people have had success using shotguns and wouldnt mind using shotguns more. Any info helps in the persuit of the hunt.

Hey 295-Assassin i have had good success hunting yotes with shotgun i have used my 222 for them as well. All i do is predator call and have taken yotes at 80 yards but i find it more rewarding calling them in close for a shotgun so 9 x out of 10 i use shotgun with 00.Buck don't get me wrong i love riffle but most spots i hunt it's to much gun for the area houses

roads and just right for a shotgun plus they work great in the bush if your on a drive and you get that shot in the bush give it a try i don't know how you are hunting them but either way it's great but don't forget that there is a chance that you might wish you had that riffle with you as i have had yotes come out 150 yards and just sit there looking around till they catch your sent and run off so keep in mind that this thing will happen but that's hunting you win some and you lose some 

2 minutes ago, gunner-2 said:

Hey 295-Assassin i have had good success hunting yotes with shotgun i have used my 222 for them as well i predator call and have taken yotes at 80 yards but i find it more rewarding calling them in close for a shot gun so 9 x out of 10 i use shotgun with 00.Buck don't get me wrong i love riffle but most spots i hunt it's to much gun for the area houses

roads and just right for a shotgun plus they work great in the bush if your on a drive and you get that shot in the bush give it a try i don't know how you are hunting them but either way it's great but don't forget that there is a chance that you might wish you had that riffle with you as i have had yotes come out 150 yards and just sit there looking around till they catch your sent and run off so keep in mind that this thing will happen but that's hunting you win some and you lose some 

Thanks for the info, ill be sure to give that a shot. Much appreciated 

I started with a heavy varmint type barrel Ruger 77 bolt gun in 6MM Rem with a 4-12 scope the first year cause that is what I had. Second year I went to a light  sporter weight Ruger 77 in 6MM , used the 4-12 Redfield on it and put an straight 16 power glass on the heavy barrel and it then was used for groundhogs only. I also had a Mini 14 but couldn't rely on it to accurately take a yote at 200 yds, friend had a AR15 that could shoot along side a bolt gun, but alas  we can't use AR's in the field with 20 round mags any more. I'd say any sporter bolt gun with a 4-12 scope  in one of the hotshot .22 or .243 cals. would do you good.

Only used a shotgun if we had a wounded yote take to the brush, 3 inch #4 buck seemed to be the ticket.

204 Ruger, .223 and 22-250 are all great Yote guns. I also agree with Gunner that a shotgun works well too. Depends on the set up. Even when using a rifle it is nice to bring the shotgun along in case one sneaks in close on you. When I go with my buddy we usually take 1 rifle and 1 shotgun for our setups.

8 hours ago, Lungpuncher said:

204 Ruger, .223 and 22-250 are all great Yote guns. I also agree with Gunner that a shotgun works well too. Depends on the set up. Even when using a rifle it is nice to bring the shotgun along in case one sneaks in close on you. When I go with my buddy we usually take 1 rifle and 1 shotgun for our setups.

X2.  I prefer my .204. Shot 2 yotes last year over 400yrd.  The .204 ballistics actually surpass the     22-250 after 500yrd, with zero muzzle jump. 

19 hours ago, SamNicholson said:

I was looking at getting a 22 250 savage any thoughts ? I heard they're actually pretty good. 

My .204 is a savage model 25. With the heavy barrel.

Tack driver......

delete this post if feel it's not appropriate. But I am curious. I don't care that you shoot them. It's fine with me

What happens to the coyotes you shoot? Surely you don't eat them. Do you skin them for the pelts?

Personally, any coyotes I shoot are taken to a friend or trapper if the coyote pelt is in fair shape or better. A problem when there are too many coyotes is often an epidemic of mange which causes the fur to fall out. I have seen extreme cases where there was only fur on the head and tail - obviously the coyote cannot maintain body heat in cold weather and suffers horribly. If you are a hunter you know that coyotes take a huge toll on wildlife. Our club would purchase and release pheasants every year in an attempt to create a local population but all too often we would find a pile of feathers where the coyote had supper. A coyote hunting friend put a trail camera over the summer one year at a coyote den. He saw a total of 28 fawns brought back to the den for the pups during that time - and that was only one den. People I know have lost pets to coyotes. And if they are not hunted they don't learn to fear humans and will be found around houses. Not a good feeling when a little one is playing in the back yard and a coyote pack is yodeling not far away.

Talking with my doctor Friday ..he hunts & fishes . He shot a deer recently with a cross bow but it took off . He followed a blood trail but it was late so he came back in the morning hoping to find it either dead or still alive .  What he found was just a long strip of hide with skull and a few pieces of the back bone . No doubt the yotes cleaned out every piece of flesh and innards .  He showed me the remains of the deer on his phone ....not much left of it .

What are pelts going for at the North Bay Fur Auction ? When I hunted with a crew in the late seventies we were getting 50 to 60 bucks for a fox or coyote pelt, good money as I was making maybe 7or8 dollars a hour in  a Hamilton Steel Mill.

Archived