Brown trout fun

pauly

Nice going Paul ....browns always intrigued me since I first caught them in a beautiful stream that ran adjacent to the old canal (gate 12) .....back in the late 50's . The smaller ones had a purple hue on the sides and we got them up to 16" ....always liked catching them to this day !  It was sad to see that stream turned into a haulage road for GM .

Question ? .....I has been nasty cold .....what line are you using , and how are you keeping the guides from freezing up Paul ?

It's raven mono. It's cheap and I've never broken off. Once in a while I use my nails to chip ice out of the guides but only when it gets really bad.  Some guides can't handle this procedure because the inserts are not glued in properly.  A recent purchase saw 4 guides fall out during normal temperature use. I miss Gate 12!  I used to fish the old canal in my earlier days!  

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

Nice going Paul ....browns always intrigued me since I first caught them in a beautiful stream that ran adjacent to the old canal (gate 12) .....back in the late 50's . The smaller ones had a purple hue on the sides and we got them up to 16" ....always liked catching them to this day !  It was sad to see that stream turned into a haulage road for GM .

I remember Dad catching the first trout I ever saw there back in the late 50's, that sounds like the place, searching on google maps and going by memory I kinda figured it got swallowed up when they built the GM Plant. 

1936 shot from Navigator ....shows the old canal locks and a stream/pond combo just to the left . There was a one foot spillway at Glendale where the stream spilled into a nice pond .Some spots along the steam went into old timbers where the browns like to hide . We caught them on a drop shot -worm -grasshopper rig ....some nice ones over a pound . Other spots in the stream had shallow rapids where we used our "silver doctors" to catch them .Other spots that were slow had some pike to catch on silver spoons or a Canadian Wiggler  . Near the top end was a trestle and a nice 6' waterfall , and loaded with browns , The stream originated from Lake Louise which was used to fill the locks when needed . We biked from west St.Kitts and spend many days in that area , fishing the trout/pike stream , some pike ponds and the old canal for pike, perch & carp ....just one of many old spots that are not on the list anymore .....

EqxSBAc40gq3cl62DK6hAbMbp4998GYPKe4lcdoU

Archived