Yotes

WalleyeChaser

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to hunting, this was my first deer season.....no luck. Saw lots on camera at night and they ate well but I was very unsuccessful. 
Anyways, although deer season is over I also noticed some coyotes and foxes on my property so im thinking I should keep at it instead of waiting 9 months for deer season again.  I am hunting in 88, a bows only area.  Has anyone had any success bow hunting coyotes? If so do you have any tips? Cause this guy needs'em!

I have hunted them with a bow and it can get very tricky to get one in that close i have been busted by them in a ground blind and been busted sitting along a fence row

what you need is something to keep there attention off you a decoy works good or if you use a fox pro with the tail that spins is great a fox pro call is the best way to go as you can set it away from you and works good for your range .The best thing to do if your hunting the ground is to use a cross bow yotes can bee a bugger nothing worse then having one come in and stop 50 yds now he is to close to draw your bow he will see you especially if you are using a mouth call they know where that sound came from within a few yds

of where you are calling and they are looking as a fox pro you can set it 30yds to the left or right in front of you or even the same but behind you and can have them walk by you now if your using a compound bow do the same but be in a ground blind or find as much cover as you can without putting your self in a spot that you can't shoot my buddy hunts from tree stands but does the same thing with the fox pro as i said above i have only shot 1 coyote with a bow but never stuck with it but i can tell ya if you get one with a bow you have done something it is hard so i would tell you never give up  you will screw up a lot at first but you will learn from your screw ups and will start to gain your experience and you will find what works for you one thing nice about yotes you can hunt them all year round and if you are serious about it there is always time to hunt them and time to work at it 

good luck and shoot straight 

It's doable to get em with the bow Buchan, have better odds if ur in a tree stand for sure. If u wanna hunt yotes tho I'd get a rifle or shotgun.Deer in 88 and 89 has been tough for last few years now, a ton a pressure in those WMU and not enough bush and field for all the hunters.

Thanks for the advice! Ive got a couple spots with excellent ground cover that I think I will give a try first. I will be using a compound bow so we will see what happens.

43 minutes ago, abuchan1986 said:

Thanks for the advice! Ive got a couple spots with excellent ground cover that I think I will give a try first. I will be using a compound bow so we will see what happens.

Thats all you can do get out there and keep at it one day it will pay off if you get one down put up some pics love to see them good luck

19 minutes ago, gunner-2 said:

Just so people know this is not really me just smerch being smerch lol it is cool though

HA ....yes , the smerch has too much time on his hands lately ......plan to fix that and get out of the house more since they stented me !  I'm supposed to lay low for a while * eat my veggies , etc..... they can't keep a young man down for too long !   :D

Gunner......I'd like to see you do a yote ,  Wile E style ....on two legs chasing a turkey  ?..... 

Yep , the bottom toon is the one !   lol  I don't know where you can get a road runner bird unless you're down Mexico way ....but it's relative , the cuckoo may suffice  lol !   My dad did some "novelty" taxidermy and I'm sure he would do up a yote  for me ....4 legs and all !

• 3 weeks later...

Went out for the first time Wednesday. First set with the rabbit squeal  - out came three coyotes 600 yards across the field! A few more calls and the closest one hung up at 175 yards with the other two at about 350 yards - including a huge blonde coyote. One shot with the 6mm. 75 grain handload dropped him in his tracks. I yelped at the other two and stopped at the far edge of the field but they eventually went into the bush where I didn't have permission. No other coyotes there that day. Followed some jackrabbit tracks for a couple of hours but they didn't freshen up and called it a day.

413124905.jpg

Archived