New to Fly Fishing - Looking to Learn

norestnorust

I am in my forties and for years have been very interested in learning how to fish, specifically, on the fly.  I have been hesitant to get out there, because as a beginner, I have been a bit intimidated - - as most folks my age have been at it for decades. I've been reading loads and watching countless videos, hoping to get myself more familiar with the sport.  I finally decided that it was time to stop talking about it and get started.  I took my first fly-tying class up at Drift Outfitters on Queen East in Toronto (wonderful crew of folks up there!) and have joined the forum to learn more about what is available locally (I'm in St. Catharines).  I am looking forward to everything the forum has to offer and even more keen to get my tail out on the water.  

Any thoughts on what is the best set-up to get started?  A heavier combo for the steelhead season or a lighter, more adaptable one for everything else? I am sure that in time I will have multiple rods and reels, but looking to get my feet wet, so to speak, and would be very appreciative of any advice.

Thank you,

Colin

The best advice I can give is to get lessons on casting. Just like golf if you learn the proper technique from the start it will make life easier. Grindstone Angling in Waterdown is the closest place I know of. They run various lessons and would also be able to help you with gear selection as well. The equipment will really depend on what your after. I personally like a 4 weight with 9 foot rod for dry fly fishing for browns on the Credit around Caledon or Upper Grand near Fergus. If your looking to go for bass you might be able to get something that will double for steelhead as well. I was on a mission a few years ago to take a steelhead on the fly and finally got one in Caledonia but a lot of work. It was a blast to have one on, but I think float fishing is a more practical method personally. Much prefer fishing with dry flies where you spot and stalk the trout, much like hunting.

Surf and Turf,

Thank you so much for the insightful advice.  From everything I have read and heard - you are bang on.  Learning to cast properly is key.  I have checked into Grindstone and would like to sign up for something in the spring.  I was also hoping to be able to get out a little closer to home, and was looking for some potential spots right in Niagara. I purchased the 'Introducing Fly Fishing' booklet produced by the local chapter of Trout Unlimited and it had some wonderful advice for a beginner like me.  Ideally, I love the idea of popping out for a bit on the way home from work or on a weekend morning.  Not sure if fly fishing right in Niagara is my best bet for that, or if I am better off going with another approach.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Colin

There really aren't any trout streams in the Niagara Region. The best bet would probably be going for bass and panfish in the area. The lower river offers some great fly fishing opportunities however I think it is mainly done by boat. I know that Paul Castellano of Cast Adventures (castadventures.ca) offers fly fishing charters in the lower river and the next couple of months are some of the best times to go.

Thank you for all the helpful information.  I've watched some of the Cast Adventures videos and been to the site. I think I may start with bass and panfish and maybe work my way up to steelhead.  I don't want to invest too much initially, until I can get a better idea of what I enjoy, can become proficient at, and have the time for - - really just looking for some quiet time in nature.

Thanks again.

CS

I'm going to recommend you get in touch with Peter Charles from Hooked4Life Fly Fishing School. Peter is based out of Haldimand, has reasonable rates, and is a great instructor. He works around your schedule and location, and offers courses for both learning fly casting and for learning fly fishing, from total beginner casting to advanced spey casting. 

Whatever you do, get some lessons before investing in equipment. A good instructor will be willing to show you different rods based on what you want to fish for and can make recommendations on equipment based on how you cast. They should have a number of rods and lines you can try out to see what fits. 

And beware - after you get into fly fishing you will want more than two outfits. You're going to want a 3wt for panfish, 4/5wt for trout, 5/6wt for general bass use, 7/8wt for larger streamers and poppers, 9wt for steelhead, maybe a switch rod, then a spey. Get some awesome vintage fiberglass in there to. 

like everyone said take the lessons

my only advice is have fun catching. if you start out saying i want a steelhead you stand a chance of many hours of fishless time. when you could start learning flyfishing on panfish like bluegills. gills are fun and a blast with poppers

dwc767 and Tom S - - Thank you!  I am digesting everything you folks have to say and sincerely appreciate all the help to get me going in the right direction.  It looks as though I need to get myself signed up for some casting lessons and some more information before I get hooked up with equipment.

Thank you again!

Colin

I agree 100% with what Tom said. Peter Charles would be the ideal instructor and very reasonable rates. Also check out sffl.com sotto fly fishing league. Im a member of this group and we run tournaments all over southern ontario. All though its competetive fishing we have anglers of various degrees from beginners to Canadian champions. We fish all species and styles from still water, ponds, lakes, rivers. You will really enjoy it, and learn from some national and international champions. Everyone you meet with this club is a class act and will guide you and help you improve your game. I joined this group 3 yrs ago knowing nothing about fly fishing, and cant say enough about the group. There is no money to be made from this club. We pay entry fees to every comp that covers expenses and for our lunch thats provided. If you would like to come out to an event id be more than happy to introduce you and get you going in the right direction. I promise youll have a blast. Pm me if your interested. We also have practice sessions for beginners  if you would like to try one of these...fun is our number one goal...so dont let the word competition scare you away.

i second dave c comments.only catch is..if you are allergic to boiled eggs...

comps are great...i too am a memeber of the club, big dave brought me in under the pro category. It has been nothing but gold medals since day one..lol

look forward to some new faces on the rivers and lakes.....

5 hours ago, schnipster said:

i second dave c comments.only catch is..if you are allergic to boiled eggs...

comps are great...i too am a memeber of the club, big dave brought me in under the pro category. It has been nothing but gold medals since day one..lol

look forward to some new faces on the rivers and lakes.....

Hahahaha....geez I just about lost it there with the boiled eggs. hahaha.  Brought you in under the pro category...hahahah. It helps if you like sausage...lol  Plus as an added bonus, you get a free dose of the schnipsters comedy hour.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you DaveC, Schnipster, and Tom S!

Thank you gentlemen - - I sincerely appreciate the valuable information and invites.  I have been very pleasantly surprised by how willing everyone I have met has been toward people just entering the sport, as I am.  It is something which has fascinated me for years, and I finally decided to stop talking about and get going.  Looking forward to buying my first set-up shortly, and get out on the water.  I will be sure to look into all your advice.

Cheers,

Colin

the help is always solid in this forum and freely given...ask us where we catch our fish and you may be on the wrong side of an internet war....lol

we ask that you adhere to a few rules please. and this goes for anyone that needs a refresher.

1. no asking anyone here about rivers, lakes, ponds, drainage ponds, koi ponds or any other productive body of water.

2. absolutely no center pinning or spin fishing will be undertaken or discussed as an active memeber of ths fly only forum

3. downrigging makes you a bad person

4.wooly buggers and san juan worms are not flies...they are not.

5.when you see a centerpinner on the river..cast on the downstream side of them no more that 12 ft away in order to not allow an      otherwise perfect 400ft drift.

6. when fishing with schnipster dont ever ever...bring hard boiled eggs as a shore lunch.

last one.....

if you catch a boot please dont say it was a hard strike....its called flossing, we all want to believe the dying, wanna make babies, last leg of life, semi rotted zombies we catch are agressively feeding down the green mile however...we all know this is a fallacy.

PS join us on the water brother..between dave c and myself you will surely catch something and a few tips. at minimum piss your pants laughing.

i said it before and i will say it again. 9ft 6wt rod will do everything shy of stripers and tarpon. i ave caugh 10lbs steel to pecker speckles....one rod....you will collect more sadly however to begin with this rig will take you to the promised land.

1 hour ago, schnipster said:

the help is always solid in this forum and freely given...ask us where we catch our fish and you may be on the wrong side of an internet war....lol

we ask that you adhere to a few rules please. and this goes for anyone that needs a refresher.

1. no asking anyone here about rivers, lakes, ponds, drainage ponds, koi ponds or any other productive body of water.

2. absolutely no center pinning or spin fishing will be undertaken or discussed as an active memeber of ths fly only forum

5.when you see a centerpinner on the river..cast on the downstream side of them no more that 12 ft away in order to not allow an      otherwise perfect 400ft drift.

6. when fishing with schnipster dont ever ever...bring hard boiled eggs as a shore lunch.

Hahaha...don't forget I still centerpin !!!!  Allthough I'm not a hero drifter...lol.  Since I came over to the dark side I can appreciate the space a fly fisherman requires...but you still wont catch me in a Tilly hat...lol

4 hours ago, schnipster said:

i said it before and i will say it again. 9ft 6wt rod will do everything shy of stripers and tarpon. i ave caugh 10lbs steel to pecker speckles....one rod....you will collect more sadly however to begin with this rig will take you to the promised land.

Schnip quit lying you've never catch a 10lb steal.  I've never seen a fish on the end of your line hahahahah.  

You are in STC so you aren't too far from the Orvis store in NY.

They have free fly casting classes and class 2 and 3 are on the water fishing with their staff.

They also have free fly tying classes as well.

On 2/8/2017 at 1:23 PM, schnipster said:

On 2/8/2017 at 1:26 PM, schnipster said:

last one.....

if you catch a boot please dont say it was a hard strike....its called flossing, we all want to believe the dying, wanna make babies, last leg of life, semi rotted zombies we catch are agressively feeding down the green mile however...we all know this is a fallacy.

PS join us on the water brother..between dave c and myself you will surely catch something and a few tips. at minimum piss your pants laughing.

On 2/8/2017 at 1:28 PM, schnipster said:

Have you been into Grandpa's Cough Medicine again Schnip?

Archived