New to The Forum ... Musky

Spennyfish

Hey guys, 

I am a Brock University student living in St. Catharines form September-April. I live 10 minutes away form long point bay which has provided me with some amazing fishing over the years. I have found the fishing forum for the bay (Channel 6-8) very helpful for me as a fisherman. I have been researching, and asking around about the musky population in the Niagara river, It seems to me that there is a decent population within the river. Seeing as i am a complete newbie to major river systems and current I am curious about what precautions I should take on the river in terms of boating, and if any of you bass guys have any tips for catching musky on the river. Also if someone could confirm that the Upper Niagara season opens on the 3rd Saturday of June. I plan on getting my bearings throughout the late spring/summer then try to get some sort of a pattern together by the fall. Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

P.s sorry for posting in the bass section of the forum. Figured this was my best bet at musky help.

Thanks     

Depends on where you want to fish, the upper or the lower.  Muskie can be found in both.  The upper has the higher numbers it seems, lower is more trout/salmon based.

I would suggest maybe taking someone along who knows the river (especially the lower if you plan on going in the direction of the falls from the queenston launch).  With either portions of the river you want to know your boat's capabilities and also you need to be weary of your surroundings (lots of guys who dive in the upper, one member here posts his videos of the fish he sees).

You should also have a very good GPS or know the border line between Canada and the USA, crossing it accidentally could be a huge pain for yourself, I have not fished the river in a boat, but I have seen the US authorities board boats to perform their checks (which you also need your documentation).

Maybe another member can post here about the details on fishing the river and when you need to call it in returning to Canada.

Talking with guys who have fished muskie in the past on the river ... they are notorious for following right to the boat in the river.

Snags, Thanks for the info. I will need to look into the regulations for NY fishing and licencing more to get it figured out. I have a couple buddies down here that have fished the river. maybe will try going out with them first. 

Thanks for the warm wlecome TeeDee

Hi, used to do a fair bit of musky fishing in the niagara. Upper has bigger numbers, lower has bigger fish! Not uncommon to see 6-8 fish per outing in the upper. Lots of follows! My favourite tactic was casting spinners just up on the weed edge.  Most fish Ive hooked in the upper was in the first cpl cranks of the handle, they commonly sit in the edge and ambush. Good luck!

Archived