Bird Migration on the way

smerchly

I have seen the robins , red winged black birds ,  turkey vultures , etc. for a few weeks now , and the water birds are pairing up and getting aggressive while they are choosing their mates .  While fishing today the geese were at war and the swans were not welcome either . I spotted two ducks that I haven't seen before .....thought they might be young shoveler ducks ,then noticed the short spiky tails . I checked google & found they are ruddy ducks which I believe are not common in Ontario .  Well , the fishing was bad but the scenery was good ....as usual .  :)

tI2MUICzA69E82nUbIp65CQSx9Vv89q9maOvgK9n

......this "pair" are both males ......waiting for some action .......

5 hours ago, johnny said:

Ruddies & quite common in Ontario.

I'm always on the look out for wildlife on the waters everywhere I fish . Ruddies are very rare on my fishing adventures ....maybe more of them in the Niagara River . ....Spotted a big red tail hovering over my back yard today ....looking to get a nice fat dove at my feeders . 

Before I posted about seeing the Ruddies I checked a few sites out .It looks like they are primarily a western duck that migrates all the way down to Mexico in the winter and as far north as Lake Ontario where the water remains open . I have seen the Shovelers and a few years back , some Turnstones  from the far north tundra areas ....pretty birds .

...from Ducks Unlimited , map shows their large range of migration ....

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterfowl-id/ruddy-duck

Archived