Need a job ?

smerchly

Is any job safe these days ?  I am fortunate to be a "boomer" when jobs were so plentiful before most of the manufacturing moved to Asia , Mexico , Brazil , etc.  I saw the beginning of robotics & automation back in the 80's . Now we have phones that will track every movement we make (big bro) , and the kids today love it !  The quote below is just the start to how technology will control the generations to come .....I think it's sad really ......

....oh yes....fishing related    :Gonefishing:

This week, Dominos announced sidewalk robots will begin delivering pizzas in Germany and Holland.

A New York firm is touting a robo-bricklayer that can build a wall six times faster than a human, without whistling at passing women.

In Bermuda, a diving robot will catch poisonous, but delicious, lionfish by the bushel. There are even fishing bots made of gel that will catch and release.

Name an occupation — including yours — and someone likely is working on a robot to take it over.

So, surely, artificial intelligence newspaper columnnists can’t be far off — which is why I’m retiring early from the Sun, next month.

I'm all for progress, however I would agree that some things were better the way it used to be! I love the comfort of new cars, love the fishing gadgets we have now & the internet is a great tool that helps me out regularly! But a robot brick layer? How could it tell when the slump wasn't just right? Or be able to see when there was a problem yet to arise from some other issue! I guess its those people with innovative minds that bring us the comforts that we all enjoy. Unfortunately it will cost us some jobs! To gain something, you almost always give something else up! Just my $.02

I myself Smerchly have a trade and just started a new job this past week with one of the school boards(hopefully retiring there).I highly recommend a trade for any person starting out looking for a career.I have never been out of a job and can,t see robots doing my job.I,m up ladders,on roofs,in ceilings etc with my trade.All the best

2 hours ago, shadow said:

I myself Smerchly have a trade and just started a new job this past week with one of the school boards(hopefully retiring there).I highly recommend a trade for any person starting out looking for a career.I have never been out of a job and can,t see robots doing my job.I,m up ladders,on roofs,in ceilings etc with my trade.All the best

You are right Shadow !  Most of the robotics will be in manufacturing . One day we will not need people to make cars ....just a small crew to maintain the robots . I have seen many jobs taken over by the bots that were back breaking & monotonous . Robots can save a lot of manpower , but don't buy goods ....guess it works both ways .   Thanks Shadow ....missing my ham & eggs ......:)

6 hours ago, smerchly said:

You are right Shadow !  Most of the robotics will be in manufacturing . One day we will not need people to make cars ....just a small crew to maintain the robots . I have seen many jobs taken over by the bots that were back breaking & monotonous . Robots can save a lot of manpower , but don't buy goods ....guess it works both ways .   Thanks Shadow ....missing my ham & eggs ......:)

You put a smile on my face with the ham & eggs comment Smerchly,he,s alive and kicking,take care

2 hours ago, Flycarp said:

We are trying to hire in Brantford and can't get people.

It's getting harder and harder now to find skilled trades, or even in skilled people who want to work and learn. 

And they can't get people to pick fruit any more , need to hire Mexicans , etc.  Do they offer apprenticeships for skilled trades ? Are most new jobs minimum wages ? It sure has changed over the years .  Many good paying jobs have "morphed" over the years ....taking one $22 per hour job & making two $11 jobs ....minus the benefits .  Some will elect to live on welfare & work under the table & live better than working part time min.wage jobs.  When I was a teen , I would wait at the Can.Manpower center for farmers looking for pickers ....bought my 1st car from picking fruit money .  Where did the work ethic go ?? 

Smerch, today's population does not want to perform hard work nor do they want to have to try hard to get money.

When I was in a hiring position one of the most common questions was "how often are raises given out" or "how long do I have to work there before I can become management".  Fair questions if you ask follow-up questions that provide insight into yourself, but most left it at that.  There was also a few "I have a college education in your field, so I should be paid more" ... good for you one education, but you have zero experience in the industry, so no you don't get more than someone who has years in it.

There is something out there about hours for agriculture work and overtime that may drive kids away from the jobs ... I think you can work up to 60 hours a week without OT depending on how the jobs are classified as long as you don't work over a certain amount of hours in a year.

1 hour ago, Snags said:

Smerch, today's population does not want to perform hard work nor do they want to have to try hard to get money.

When I was in a hiring position one of the most common questions was "how often are raises given out" or "how long do I have to work there before I can become management".  Fair questions if you ask follow-up questions that provide insight into yourself, but most left it at that.  There was also a few "I have a college education in your field, so I should be paid more" ... good for you one education, but you have zero experience in the industry, so no you don't get more than someone who has years in it.

There is something out there about hours for agriculture work and overtime that may drive kids away from the jobs ... I think you can work up to 60 hours a week without OT depending on how the jobs are classified as long as you don't work over a certain amount of hours in a year.

This. The entitlement mentality.

My experience in the engineering/design/manufacturing side of things is that schools (both high school and higher education) do not teach critical thinking or technical problem solving. Pump the kids full of software knowledge, they don't need actual design knowledge - the computer will figure it out for them. What you end up with is things like Smerch's brick-laying robot. Maybe a good concept, but looking at the video it's pretty obvious that the people who are needed to make concept a reality were not consulted. I look at some of the 'new' and 'exciting' things that companies like Autodesk promote (Titans of CNC? Really? Show is garbage manufacturing) and it makes me sad and upset. Exciting engineering is things like the Hoover Dam, Merlin Engines, Space travel, and the like. Not pushing buttons and letting the computer do the 'thinking'. Bring back the engineering programs that were more like an apprenticeship where they learned about tools and machines and the real world.

For true Snags ...it's a lot tougher to get a decent paying job these days compared to the jobs in the 60's  where one could get an auto job with a grade 10 education . The jobs at GM /Toyota pay well over $30 per hr. but they hire more highly educated people . Farm workers need to have a union to represent their needs . Everyone should be treated with respect on the job .

I will disagree on the union smerch, if the cost of farming goes up by 5 cents an apple, by the time that apple gets to the grocery store it will be up 50 cents, or the suppliers will opt for bringing in more apples from other countries.

I was talking with someone in the agriculture business recently, they said they can hire more people as opposed to making people work 60 hours a week, but then when things even out and all the gardens have been planted, everyone will get way less hours at that operation and then there will be plenty of whining ... so short term pain for long term gain.

Agreed with Snags. Unions will only increase the cost of agriculture without really doing much for the worker in the end. It's one of those 'make hay while the sun shines' type of jobs. Certain times of year you're going to be expected to put a lot of hours, other times of the year you won't get many hours. I know many landscapers who are almost unreachable in the summer because they are getting in as much work as they can, but in the winter they have lots of time for personal projects and doing things with the family. It's not a 9-5 type of job, which is why some people love it and others can't stand it. 

The idea of having a union would not be for more wages but for protecting the workers from abuse which does happen . They either kiss a$$ or get shipped out . They need some form of representation for abuse , and making sure medical issues are addressed properly . Farmers rely on these people ,and as said they can't get locals to do farm jobs . Way back when I picked fruit in the late 50's American cherries would be sitting on the shelf beside local ones at a cheaper price . We can't compete these days with other countries that have a much lower standard of living ,& pay the workers peanuts and use chemicals that are banned here . Without a level playing field we will end up having to buy our food from other countries and our farms will slowly die . .....or we sell our farmlands to off shore conglomerates as China is doing now , buying up our vineyards , or building shopping plazas ....

Here is a story from 2015 about the migrant workers . Most of them are treated well & are covered for illness & accidents . The photo brings back many good memories because I worked for the Troup farm picking peaches ....a hot itchy job ! After work we could take his cedar strip boat out on the 16 Mile pond using oars and check out the carp along the shoreline . We were treated well , and worked for our money . Those were the days my friends . :)

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2015/09/03/army-of-migrant-workers-power-niagaras-farms

• 2 months later...

1958 -59 , worked for Len Troup . We had a foreman named Collin Nichols who assigned us to pick certain varieties of "V' peaches like Victory , Viceroy , Vedet and Alberta . After work we would take the old cedar strip boat out (paddles) and explore the 16 mile pond and watch schools of carp scooping up air from the warm low oxygen water . 

We had a radio !!  I remember listening to Paul Anka ...." Put Your Head on My Shoulder "  :wub:  .....now you know how old the smerch is.......:unsure:

WOW ..That goes back !! Just saw Leonard the other day (assuming LakeLea orchards on service road) .. I went to  school with his and Doug's kids.

Funny though . I've used an old cedar strip on the pond bank to go camp out on that Island years back ( not Paul Anka back !!)  

Archived