Taking kids hunting

kgm

Just wondering if anyone can clairify the rules on taking kids hunting. I know they need to be an apprentice hunter and take the appropriate courses between age 12-15. I am wondering if I can take them and have them sit with me and see what it's all about before deciding to send them for the courses. No using the gun or really doing anything other than watching and spend quality time. One of my boys is younger than 12 and seems very interested. I was thinking of taking him for a morning of turkey hunting when the season opens but want to be sure I am following the rules correctly. Thanks for any input. 

I was taking my son hunting all the time never had a problem i was turkey hunting with my daughter she was 11 and was stopped by a C.O the only thing he said to me that he was happy to see the kids out there and enjoying the outdoors we always took my buddies son never had a problem i'm not saying it's ok but as long as he is not shooting i can't see why not i have never heard of anyone getting crap for this  if you really want to know for sure the answer is just a phone call away i know as soon as my grandson is 11 i'm going to take him out but i really think as long as you are there and he is not shooting i can't see the problem but like i said the MNR would be the best bet for this answer.if you do take him turkey hunting really watch now that hunters don't need to take the turkey course it's going to be interesting to see what kind of hunters we will be up against good luck i hope you get your son out there be safe  and good luck on getting your bird 

As long as they are not actively "participating in the hunt' your fine. Sitting with you is fine, but they can't be dogging the bush for you etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice guys. Hoping he loves it just like I did when I was his age. Certainly going to be very careful especially with the new turkey regs. Hoping that taking the course away wasn't a bad idea. Hope you all have a great turkey season. 

Same to you kgm i'm sure he will love it.I can tell you one thing about just letting guys buy tag's i'm not impressed i just lost another hunting spot do to this move

the spot that was always a great spot for turkey i have hunted there for 7 years the land owner said to me  now that his sons dont have to take the course they wan't to hunt the bush now and i know he has that right but the whole thing is disappointing oh well good luck on your hunt

Archived