Rabies in Niagara

Snags

Just a reminder to keep your pets on leashes or within sight ... there was a rabid raccoon found in Port Colborne this week.

Appears the MNR has blitzed the area with vaccines throughout the areas.  The article has picture to show in the event you find one while walking around.

Welland Tribune Article

Lady on Face Book said there were 2 small dogs killed yesterday by coyotes , in Fort Erie . The dogs were being walked, one just around 8 pm . Strange there is no info in the Ft.Erie Times . People need to know this stuff .

Ok! I got chased off my spot by a raccoon in the Glen last week! It was crazy... He kept coming at me even after I hit him in the head multiple times with my rod. It was dangerous. I had to scale a section of the gorge I normally would never try. I made it out and went for a ten minute walk. Sure enough... Here he comes again! Unbelievable. I kept walking and eventually lost him. I thought at the time he was blind and he was trying to get at my stinky fish net but it seems otherwise now...

Good thing it didn't get a piece of you !  If it bit you , best to kill it somehow ... bag it & take it for testing . If rabid you would need the shots ....if it bit and got away , you will still need the shots . My daughter came into contact with a rabid horse's saliva while feeding it an apple  that wasn't showing the signs yet . She had to endure the painful abdomen shots . That coon may be lurking in some neighbourhood  now ....hope this isn't spreading ....Thanks for the heads up Bobert !

Yeah, that would throw you off for sure. Definitely don't want to take any chances around sick animals. Distemper is quite common with Racoons too. I had one walk around my tree stand a couple of years ago in broad daylight while deer hunting, he then layed down in the corn on his back like he was lounging in the sun, almost had a deer step on him and then decided to try to come up my tree! I put a bolt through him and he didn't make a sound or even twitch, done. Not as easy to fend off with a fishing pole though! Best to have a slow moving friend with you to fight them off while you go for help. 

That must have been terrible for you daughter Smerch las thing you'd ever fear getting rabies from would be a horse.

Archived