Dufferin islands carp

So me and my friend took our bikes down to dufferin islands today and I brought a rod and some corn because I know there are carp in there. When we got there we spooked a bunch but they   Continued to swim around. We could see all the fish but couldn't get them to pick up the corn we had out.

so my question is how can you catch carp that you can see? Keep in mind I have never really targeted carp so don't know much about it but figured corn was a good choice . I'm now pretty determined to catch one of these but don't really know how.

Any help I could get would be appreciated .

Could try whipping up some pack baits with corn to get them feeding . If they can see you moving , they may be too shy to feed .  I would not chum the spot too much this time of the year......can corn should work .  Good luck . :Gonefishing:

Dufferin carp never have a shortage of food.  There is always someone feeding the geese and ducks, often bread, so any feed that goes unconsumed by the birds will be consumed by the carp.

Dufferin carp seem to like white bread, they seem to snub their snout to the corn, but they will go if they are hungry.  For the carp, you want to fish the middle pond (the old swimming area), not the last one (the biggest).  Less people feed the birds there.  You also want to chum the area up, just because you see the carp, doesn't mean they are feeding.

People feeding ducks & geese bread aren't doing them any favour . The carp will get some of it and for dessert the carp will have goose doo doo !   There should be some big "honkin" carp in there !  :)

Snags ....you did some carping there last year ?  ....can't recall what the date was .....

As a whole the carp are smaller than what you could get out the river or the great lakes.  They drop the water level in the winter and most of the ponds through Dufferin Islands wind up empty, so it is whatever gets washed into there when they opt to fill it.

When I carped there last year I got a few, at best maybe 5 pounds.  Once the weed growth comes in it can be a real pain to fish.

It also is an area that is no longer maintained like they used to, the whole main "pond" needs a good dredging as it has filled in greatly over the years.  Used to have a bass, perch, and crappie population (someone told me it was a stocked pond).  But I can honestly say I have not see a catchable sized fish between those species in over 20 years.

There is also a resident beaver or two that seem set on taking down as many trees as possible.

A little off topic but remember when we were kids it was a popular swimming spot. I believe they had lifeguards, vendors, paddle boat rentals there, and the "slippery beach". Series of what I remember as dams or locks that you had to be careful climbing behind as you could get sucked up against the "spill ways".  Getting there was always a blast, coming down the hill on our bikes like a bat out of hell and just making the turn at the bottom or stopping by the skin of your teeth! Can't recall ever fishing there though.

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen some moster carp in there cpl years back 2 of them swimming side by side must have been over 4 feet each I personal could never catch one there use to try all the time would watch them eat up all the chum corn and once they got to my hook there would be like 5 to ten carp eating and they would all scatter use to male me so frustrated I stopped going there lol

• 2 weeks later...
On April 12, 2017 at 4:07 PM, RyanTheRiverBoy said:

Thanks for the replys 

i will try some bread but I was wondering has anyone on here used a fly rod to target carp

Absolutely yes people use a fly rod and with some good results.  I find the carp less cooperative with cold water but late May to mid July are very eager to take the flies.

Archived