Rain!!!

bigugli

1 hour ago, bigugli said:

Time for me to build another Ark!

Yes this rain is crazy just keeps coming just as things start to dry up we get hit again:wall: if it keeps up we all will need an Ark lol

3 hours ago, bigugli said:

Time for me to build another Ark!

Well Noah , I had a pair of rats to get you started  . B)

I have fished this area for over 65 years and can't recall seeing the water level of Lake Ontario this high .....

Checked out Port Dal. Thursday where trouters fish & saw this .....that 12 volt battery for the solar light is almost submerged !  Hope it drops for Kids Day .

O3UxTVATR_jAAZgbqMqNw8vSdGlVLhgeRM-XyyMI

Lake Ontario water level is 100% controlled. The only problem is they can't let out too much at Cornwall or the lower St Lawrence will flood. They have to balance it out.

http://ijc.org/en_/islrbc/Regulating_Lake_Ontario-St._Lawrence_River

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2016/12/new_plan_to_control_lake_ontarios_water_levels_may_have_winners_losers.html

16 minutes ago, Snags said:

Waters are still high with parts of the pier being washed over further down towards the lake as well.

And the east pier,  just passed the lighthouse has water washing over it . As Chris'  link says , the lake is controlled at the St.Lawrence R. , so it's at a crucial balancing point on both sides of the dam .  Hope to get out tomorrow , check a few spots & drop a worm or two .   :Gonefishing:

It is also a new policy they are operating under. Apparently it is good for the environment to have fluctuating levels. It helps the marshy zones along the shore be more natural, so they are allowing(creating) more fluctuations.

" more fluctuations" ......can also cause loss of aquatic life such as frogs .  I know a few spots that are now flooded beyond the marsh grasses/rushes where I've seen large deposits of frog eggs . If the water drops too quickly , the eggs will dry up or the tadpoles will die. We must be very careful when playing with mother nature. I hope the MOE has done their homework on this ......:mellow:

The plan, which increase the allowed highs and lows of the waterways, will restore damaged natural habitats along hundreds of miles of shoreline. It will be put in place at the end of January.

It represents the largest wetlands restoration effort in the United States outside of the Florida Everglades, according to the Nature Conservancy and taps the forces of nature to restore 64,000 acres -- 100 square miles -- of valuable wetlands.

I was up north of Huntsville this weekend and all of the lakes up that way have higher water levels as well, so I don't think this is a case of the simple control of keeping an extra couple of inches of water in the lake.

Looking at the forecast we will get rain for the next while ... the systems that come in from the gulf of Mexico go north up towards up.  The systems that come from the west rise up towards Sudbury and such.  Depending on the winds and the jet stream they can also fall towards us and hit Niagara.

Severe thunderstorm watch for Niagara today ,  heavy rains and high winds may develop ......MORE rain coming this week . Maybe I'll head to Brazil to do some fishing .......:Gonefishing:

31 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

I'll be picking worms tonight. 

Ditto .....got me a new head light , can pick with both hands . I have a stryo-foam box ready with fresh Buss bedding ,,,,keeps them cool all summer in a fridge, or use large flat ice packs , change every 12 hrs. 

4 hours ago, possem said:

Rain last night made it into the basement a bit as I had a pond beside the house.   Wow that rain came down. Hope it lets up soon I got some fishing to do

My 6 cu.ft wheel barrel was over half full from the rains .  Lots of flooding all over Niagara , and we can expect more heavy rains for Thurs-Fri. into Sat. ...up to 50mm more ! ( I hope not) !! As for picking worms ....I got a couple dozen .....lawn too wet for them .....I think they go further down instead of laying in the water on the lawn ...had this happen earlier this April . Also , I have some early seeds to plant , but it's too damn wet ! ( need to plant rice) ?

Went out last week for 10 minutes and stopped at 80 worms. Easy pickins lol. My buddy has kept worms all winter with just a couple dying. Says he feeds them used coffee grounds or tea bags once in a while. Going to try it...maybe caffeinated worms will be more active.

I can't see any food value in caffeine .....but yes , those worms could be super worms , hyped up on the caffeinated bedding !  :)

I use crushed up goldfish flakes to feed them , and I've heard people use milk in the bedding ....but I think it may sour and kill them  ...I've kept them in moss for short spans , not sure about long term in it.......

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

DAM !   Gotta get out fishing ....come hell or high water .....:Gonefishing:

Well you got the high water covered.  I was hoping to get out tomorrow afternoon. Looking at the current forecast I think that's bust

Archived