Fishing from Shore in Grimsby Area?

JoshK

Hi there - new to the site.

I haven't fished in 20+ years, my issue is that my 9 year old is showing some interest and I would like to take him out with at least a chance of us or someone near by landing a fish.

I now live in the Grimsby area and was just looking for any hints on where we can fish that is accessible from land (we do not have a boat) and what we could expect to catch (so we can have the correct bait/lures).

We have been on walks near 40 mile creak and there is a pier there so I'm thinking maybe some bass and if we are lucky some trout in that area, I have seen people around Jordan Harbour but I'm not sure what they are catching there (if anything!) and Port Dalhousie isn't too far so we could go there  - not really sure where else to go that is close to Grimsby.

I still have my old tackle with mepps, flat fish (used to like the f7 or smaller for trout) etc. etc.

Thanks,

Josh

Josh, a good place to start would be the pond at Fifty Point Conservation area. There are some small bass and panfish there. Good for worm dunking with kids. They also stock it with trout around this time, at least they used to. Another great spot for kids is Binbrook Conservation Area, just a short drive away, lots of Crappy and Bass and you can rent canoes and jon boats on site too. Just don't eat anything out of there as heavily polluted. I used to take the kids to both spots when they were little.

50 should have the trout pond stocked by now and I used to set up where the pond narrows (old bridge area).  I used the bright green trout play dough stuff and weight was all.  another great place I like to take kids in Hamitlon by the Williams coffee pub at the break wall.  You will catch lots of big perch and crappy.  Wouldn't eat anything from the bay but the bite is always pretty good.  PM me if you want better details for that area.

Archived