Patching marine gas tank

kgm

Wondering if anyone has experience patching a plastic boat gas can. I have one with a crack on the top. Have tried epoxy and super glue but neither worked. I was thinking on trying jb water weld as it says it works on pvc plastic but thought it would be worth asking first. Thanks for any advice 

There is an epoxy product at canadian tire called "seal all" it will seal a gas can  and is safe for gas cans and works as I've used it. It comes in a squeeze like tube. It may be in auto but last time it was in hardware. They move stuff around all the time 

I have patched a few plastic holding and fresh water tanks on travel trailers and I find that the only thing that works is a hot glue gun. try to v the crack out and clean it good  ,then use your gun . had a plastic canoe once and it had a crack right down the middle . used the glue gun and it never leaked after that .  td

Google gas resistant expoxy ......lots of info .

JB Weld came up often .....maybe look into that product ......a copy-paste to consider .....

Depends upon the plastic and how clean you get it before gluing it.

Gorilla Glue (aka urethane) might not be compatible with gasoline. You might want to test it out.

JB Weld is a good choice, as it's a "reinforced epoxy" that contains some structural fillers to provide extra strength. However, you need to make sure you get all grease/gasoline off the surfaces to be glued, as oils, etc will interfere with the bond.

After degreasing (Simple Green works well in this case), make sure you scuff the area around the crack with a bit of sandpaper/Scotchbrite pad. The scuffed area provides a tad more "grip' for the epoxy/JB Weld to bond to.

You should be good. An alternative to JB Weld is PC-7. I've used both. PC-7 is VERY tough. It's more of a putty than JB-Weld is. Both are good choices.

Cracks in a plastic gas tank are relatively easy to repair so you won't have to purchase a new one at the sign of every crack.

Step 1

Use the sandpaper to sand the area around the crack. This helps to make the area smooth by removing jagged edges. Even if it looks smooth to start with, you will still need to sand as there could be edges that are not visible to the naked eye.

Step 2

Cut your fiberglass cloth into a swatch large enough to cover the hole or crack in your tank. Place the cloth over the crack or hole.

Step 3

Use an epoxy solution. Pre-made epoxy can be purchased at your local hardware store. Brush the solution over the cloth, making sure to get the edges as well.

Step 4

Leave the tank with the epoxy alone for 20 to 30 minutes. The epoxy will make the fiberglass cloth harden and seal to the gas tank. This will make the tank liquid tight again.

Archived