Boating up the lower niagara

mford

HI Guys,

I followed up a boat past the power plants yesterday and I have to save it was awesome.

I'm looking for some tips or things to look out for as I'm not a expert in that part of the river from the boat.

Coming back down was a little tense driving around the massive eddies but with a little gas we got out of dodge rather quick.

Obviously this part of the river can be dangerous and i'm looking to learn from others "oh doo-doo" moments.

And...... Go!

Always wear a lifejacket and always keep your boat running with someone close to the wheel incase you get a whirlpool start to open up under your boat, or get caught in an eddie you'll have a better chance of getting out before its too late. 

The place you described is called the "devils hole" .  If you are not experienced there are many obstructions that can suck you under. Your path up and down this stretch varies as the amount of water being released varies.  I have been doing it for years and every time I do it my stomach turns. 

5 hours ago, deetch said:

The place you described is called the "devils hole" .  If you are not experienced there are many obstructions that can suck you under. Your path up and down this stretch varies as the amount of water being released varies.  I have been doing it for years and every time I do it my stomach turns. 

My stomach is already turning just reading this.  A guided trip would be nice. 

Thanks for the advice, do you leave your motor on the whole time you are up past the power plants or are you referring to just the way back? We sat in a back Eddie with spot lock on for about a half and hour but we did have the big motor off.

Deetch, i agree with you the path up and down were a thrill.

Does anyone else have some pointers or past experiences to share?

Archived