Sign in to follow this  
smerchly

Perchin

Walking along Lake O this a.m. I spot schools of nice  +&- 2" minnows. No net with me , but have worms for perching . I caught a dozen or so plus some white perch & a good size drum ( frisky gal) !   I cleaned up the perch & found they have been dining on small gobies , 2" minnows , and a couple of 3" alewives . The perch were hitting hard & fighting like a spekkie !  :)  Always fun catching them on the light rod and float .

...got this little "ski" on a worm .....hungry little fella .....

Vjr3o2PYzHWiIBZMfJWj2AypEQ4bhZMtyCW7xXT5

Fish Farmer ....looks like this new post went ok ......:Gonefishing:

2 hours ago, I'm_A_Drifter said:

Logperch?

Yessiree , log perch . We called them sand pike in my young days .  They are a hard bodied tough little fish and are legal bait fish ( but I don't like to use them for bait ) The markings on them look like a tiger musky .(without the teeth)

26 minutes ago, Bubba14 said:

Fished for many years and never seen one of those. Great post as usual Smerch!

Thanks Bubba ....they are in many of the places I fish . they like shallow waters with current and sandy bottoms . I have caught many in the 12 Mile creek system . They only get to be about 7-8"  and I have caught them in lakes near Perry sound . Small hooks & a piece of worm or minnow . I posted a picture of one here last year ....went for my corn !

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/index.php?/topic/33910-tiger-surprise/#comment-271704

Edited by smerchly

I gave it another go this am ...before the monsoon rains hit us .  Took a few worms ....hoping to catch some minnows (no go) . Started with the float rod & caught a few perch & small sheephead ....changed to bottom fishing with the few worms left ....took 10 nice perch for the table . It's feast or famine with the perch .....seems like I hit them at the right time ....very aggressive bite  !  Next trip ....carping ! 

It looks like some visitors had their dinner there,  over a fire ....and of course left the "dishes" for someone else to clean up ..... I did my usual line pickup and took home a "head chopper" . Looks like they enjoyed some sheephead with rice ......

8AwOWn8uebz1UFgVA2OufD9LDj9wYHHn3pN8FJhd

they left this meat cleaver behind ....chipped badly , chopping rocks ???( disregard the garbage) :rolleyes:

sD7ZU8jhp6XystsVHpb8rxpqwIlrRFFdRNjSNnJb

Cig, package ....Dunhill  brand ?  American ?

Good day on the water .....got home before the rain .....Frying the perch in coconut oil ,thanks to Knightfisher for the info . :Gonefishing:

That's a cool looking fish for sure!

Good on you for picking up that garbage Smerch. It's a crying shame that it is necessary.

S & T ....There's enough garbage in that area to fill a pickup truck . I always pick up the fishing line out of concern for our wildlife that may get entangled in it . It would take a crew of 5-6 people a few hours to collect the garbage . People can easily carry in coolers full of food & drink and not take back 1/10th the weight back to dispose of their garbage .

e.g.    took this shot a few days ago .....a large container full of trash .....and no one to take it away .....It is in a no access spot where it can't be taken by garbage trucks . Lots of beer cans for anyone wanting to make some money ......:unsure:  ~~~

HAxtcgfpJ_SXjAI1e2Ngs5MbwLFehfsZWLcYT-M-

...heard on my car radio this morning ......the largest problem in the world concerning garbage is plastic ....millions of tons of it on the planet , both land and sea , killing birds ,animals and even whales .  Our governments (cities) could do much more to clean up after the piggies .

Guest brookie slayer

By the looks of it seems like that spot will be closed for fishing in the near future