Which style of Yak??

boogaloo

I would like to get into kayak fishing. What style is best for this old man?? Sit in or sit on?? I would use it in creeks and small lakes up North. Thanks........................Daniel

Hey Boogaloo,

As you'll probably see, most folks use a sit on top for fishing, but there are some who still prefer a sit inside. Consider a few things when deciding what's best for you;

- Are you planning on using it in colder months? If so, a sit inside will be a dryer ride, and allows the use of a sprayskirt.

- Are you planning on paddling it for fun as well as fishing? Generally speaking (there's always exceptions) a sit inside will paddle more efficiently than a sit on top.

- Do you want maximum stability and/or the ability to stand up? Sit on top all the way here.

- Do you want to be able to outfit it with lots of accessories? Typically the sit on tops will be better here too.

We sell lots of kayaks and have a bit of everything so if you have a chance stop in and see us and we can show you what's available and are always happy to pull boats out/down from our racks to check out and sit in/on. If you're coming in ask for myself or "BR" as we're the two who have the most experience with all the models.

Jamie

• 3 weeks later...

Generally, a sit on top is more stable, has more storage space for gear and is easier to get in and out of. Sit-ins are lighter, more nimble and paddle easier.  I fished out of a 9.5 foot sit-in for over a decade before upgrading to a sit on top about 4 years ago. If you're wanting to fish out of it I'd strongly suggest a sit on top. They are generally more comfortable which would allow you more time to fish. 

Also, I'm not sure where you're from, but if you're near Welland you're more than welcome to meet me at the river if you'd want to try my kayak out.

• 4 months later...

Im a big fan of my sit on top for fishing. Super stable and tons of storage. Downside is you tend to get a little wet in choppy water, definitely not pleasant in cold water. Also, at 6'8 tall, it' the only option I have for vast amounts of leg room! 

• 5 weeks later...

Archived