Carp

smerchly

Went 2 for 2  last 2 trips . Yesterday was identical to the day before ....2 carp caught between noon & 1:15 pm .....seems they already had breakfast when I started at 10 am , but wanted some lunch .  My first carp at noon put up a great fight ....hung me up in weeds or ? for 5 min. I laid the rod down with some slack line & it decided to move again !  I was amazed to see this strong carp was only about 8 lbs .! 

Water is a little cooler now, so gave it a try . Had a few small bites on the bolt-hair rig & a few pieces of maize was taken ...not likely a carp . So I went to the slip sinker & waited for 10 minutes ....needed to have a whiz...told the carp to lay off for a minute ok ?        Nope ! .... looking over my shoulder & the rod bent & the carp took off ....lucky I had the bait runner set !  Another smallish carp about 7 lbs. & full of P & V.

I spotted something orange about 100 yds.away ....After packing up I had a look & found a 6' rod with the sticker price on it , and a telescopic rod holder . Someone left in a hurry & forgot about the rod & holder ? PM me if it's yours .

I gathered up a big bag of walnuts to eat ....haven't had them for many years ....got a 5 lb. hammer now.....B)

And on the way home I spotted some shrooms ...nice fat ones ....filled up a large bag ....wife is cleaning them up now for the freezer .

Another good day on the water  front !

• 1 month later...

Well ...here it is Dec.10  & I gave it another go .

Grrrrrrrr   !! 

I tried a spot at Gibby where I had some luck last Oct. (above)  :rolleyes: , using can corn on the hair rig -slip sinker .  After 20 minute intervals , I brought the line in to check my bait ....fast retrieve , 12' rod held high to get over the drop off ......THREE times in a row , I got hung up & busted the line !!   :angry::angry::angry:...can you say $@#&*$%#  !!!  I packed it in and put the carp rod in 10 lbs of moth balls !

Where's da ICE ?????   :D

Say it ain't so Smerch!  What are we gonna do without your carpin' reports for the next few months???

Well good on ya for tryin'.  I'm going to try talking myself into trying some Hammy Harbour spots before they freeze over. 

This time of year, the mind is willing but.... 

lol

I should have tried shallower water maybe ? Or different bait ? Or picked another day ?  The water was muddy as well .

I did some more reading on You Tube about cold water carping ......and to my surprise , using worms , both whole or cut up pieces is one of the best baits !

Low & behold smercho has some nice fat dewies in the cold room downstairs . Most of my carp spots are 15' deep with some current , while others are 4 - 5' deep with no or little current . I talked with some carpers last spring who fish for them all years if the water is open ....using pack baits & boilies .

I may give the worms a go Mike , and I'll be sure to inform you of the results .

• 2 months later...

Well ....here we are again smercho ......hope you had a good Christmas !   :D

It's only Feb .23 ....but it's spring out there now !  So ....got me some worms tonight , and cream corn today with some hot sauce , oats & puffed corn . Armed to the teeth !  Going to hit Gibby tomorrow at a spot where the water has little current & drops off gradually to about 15' . I haven't given worms much of a go for carp , but I'm thinking it's more natural at this time of the season in ice cold water . ....never enough time to try various baits ! 

I discovered my "JUG"  Jack Russel/Pug doggie chasing worms ....couldn't get her back in the house for 15 minutes . There are so many on the grass she could feel them moving as she stepped on them ,  then she would try to eat them !  With a little training , I could double my pickings !!

Maggie , the worm dog ........

8lqnzI4-DdDVq6iglcGcqsaJwl2vOaTn5g2lhTVF

Thanks Mike  ! Well , it was a bust today , nice to get out on the open water for a change . Water was clear but more current than anticipated since the water level is down 3' . Tried the oat-corn-hot sauce pack bait with puffed corn but no visible hits , unless a small fish took a few puffs from the hook . Tried the fresh dew worms but no luck there either . The wind picked up there & it got colder (brrrr ) so I packed up the gear & headed to one of my "shallow" water spots , thinking the pack bait would work better there . I spent 15 minutes cleaning up the joint before leaving .......probably about 3 miles of line here ......

6m4OwHCpkFdCGIxQ0zM_b22ewo51VSMcFzvFpUob

And the other spot ?   I forgot to take my AUGER  !    :o

izZCPi62Hk9ByOmcA9XrIm-rtRcAoC-iC5erqhU0

Thanks for the encouragement guys ,  more spots to try & some sunny days ahead this week . I kept the remaining oat/cream corn mix for chumming next carp trip . I read many of the old posts last night , featuring "hammercarp" and his cold water tactics , going back to 2012 . "Lorne" got me into carping & we had some good carp fishing times together ....miss his input here ......

The main thing right now is ......where are they hiding in the cold water ?  Shallow or deep ?  I'll try some bread methods next trip.

All good questions Smerch.  The main thing is we know that carp will feed all year long, and it's never too early to get out.  It's especially nice finding open water spots and fishing the soft water again.  

It was always a pleasure running into Lorne fishing Hammy Harbour.  He promoted carping to kids at various events, and I always consider him one of our carping pioneers.     

Anyhoo, you had a better day then me, as I finally got some much needed patching and painting around the ol' homestead.  lol 

Archived