Controlled Deer Hunt

Well, only a couple of days left to go before opener! Unfortunately we haven't had much time to prepare, managed to set up a new ladder stand , brushed in a pop up, and spruced up some existing tried and true stands, but that's pretty much it. Wanted to get some cameras set up, food plots in, and shooting lanes trimmed this summer, etc. etc. but just never happened. Hopefully the deer won't mind the lack of effort!

Looking forward to getting out in the woods on Monday and wish everyone a successful and safe hunt!

Good luck, i also didnot get time to do any prep work.....doing it old school like the old days when there were no cameras. Headed out to the spot in about 20 min. Beautiful little spot in 89A. 

This year was our best year in quite a few years. Lots of deer seen and shot.

The second day of the hunt in the early afternoon I was doing a few grunt calls. I noticed a bit of white on the far side of a hedge row dividing a hay field. Checking with my binoculars it was the the biggest buck I've ever seen coming across a field towards me, I could hardly hold the binoculars on him my heart was pounding so hard! It was now moving slowly, cutting on an angle to my left along the hedgerow about 200 yards out . I had my sights on him waiting for him to step through an opening just before the bush line, but instead he stepped into the bush. I'm pretty sure he circled me in the bush to get down wind. contemplated getting out of stand and trying to cut him off in the bush but thought I'd make to much noise, and rather hoped that he give me a shot. Unfortunately I didn't see him again.

On Wednesday around 7:30 am, again after making a couple of grunt calls, I spotted another buck , much smaller than the day before, working it's way across the same field towards me. This time he kept coming. When he was around the 100 yd and quartering towards me I made a soft grunt stopping him in his tracks. I put the cross hairs on him and squeezed off a shot.

He ran about 50 yards back into the field and dropped. Buck down, a nice six pointer!

Of our gang of 5 we all tagged out, with 2 being taken on Saturday which I wasn't there for. 

I keep thinking of that big buck. Should I have chanced a shot, should I have tried stalking him. I guess I'll never know, but I hope that he passes along his genes one more year and I get a crack at him next season.

Archived