Deer butcher near Fonthill?

I'm probably too picky but I like wild game too much so I butcher them myself. The last meat  I got from a butcher was as part of a group and I was disappointed in the results. It was all bone in and a significant amount of fat was left. The meat surface appeared grey from the smeared fat and bone dust from the bandsaw. In my experience most of the gamey flavor people associate with wild meat can be attributed to the fat and bone marrow left on the meat. I debone everything and remove all fat and connective tissue. I find that the fat doesn't keep well after several months in the freezer. I am fanatical about removing all bloodshot, hair and washing the meat thoroughly. I also vacuum seal rather than use butcher paper. I have a deer I got today that I will butcher up and make roasts, chops, burger and maybe some sausage. When my brothers and I go up for bear in august we butcher them all up there. Not  a problem and a lot of good eating.

Don't get me wrong, if you don't have the time or a place to cut up the animal by all means go to a butcher. I just feel that I get meat the way I like it and find it a satisfying part of the ritual of being a hunter.

Archived