Niagara River, water level changing so often...

corsara

I was there last Sunday.  Early 6:30 am water was very high, by 10-11am went down substantially (I think 1.5 meters at least).    

I was there this Sunday again (today).  5:30 am - water was even higher than last Sunday, people said they've never seen it so high.  By 10-11am it went down about 1.5 meters.  However, at that level it was where it was last Sunday at the beginning.  

Is this due to rainfall on Saturday or what?  Also, even though I left at around 11:30am today, it seemed like it slowly started going up again at that time.  

That was also my experience last Sunday, Nov 12, water level was high  at first, then it started to go down before 11am. 

Anyone else have an answer to this. the water level should not fluctuate anymore. I presumed water level was high last sunday, when Sat was Veterans day, so the city released more water on Sat. Nov 11.

The good part of it is that I snagged my favorite glowing spoon in the morning, and later I was able to find it after the water went down.  Yay!

Thanks fishfight.  The second link (the report) seems to confirm that water level fluctuations are because of tourist season, with 100k cfs during day and about 50k cfs during all other times.  Furthermore, water seems to be affected by the power generating, and when closed off water pools in upper Niagara.  Long report though.  I'll definitely read it completely when I have more time.  One number I saw----the fluctuations are 11 feet, and it goes down as we get further from the Falls.

Used to be down in the morning and then go up mid morning...but there is no understanding to the flows other than power generation. Nov water used to remain constant, but even that's not always the case. Cant do the hike down there anymore with blown out knees, but sure miss the scenery and the cardio work out.

The newest addition to water flow of course is the new tunnel which carries a huge amount of water . They also drained the reservoir and lined the bottom before refilling and putting back in operation again .  With the expanding housing  , etc. more control (fluctuation) in hydro power will be needed , a complicated process indeed .....Allenburg-Decew -Port Dalhousie hydro has an automated system that also controls output,  driving fishermen nuts !

7 hours ago, smerchly said:

The newest addition to water flow of course is the new tunnel which carries a huge amount of water . They also drained the reservoir and lined the bottom before refilling and putting back in operation again .  With the expanding housing  , etc. more control (fluctuation) in hydro power will be needed , a complicated process indeed .....Allenburg-Decew -Port Dalhousie hydro has an automated system that also controls output,  driving fishermen nuts !

Where can I read more about this info?

I am collecting more info, then analyzing the water flow, to figure out if I can predict future water flow level. Fishing seems to be better when water level is lower. It seemed water level is still up by 6am then slowly recedes by 12noon -2pm lately. Most fishable spot are gone if people show up by 7am over there. For me to get there before 6am, I have to wake up 3:30am. I might as well put a tent up or sleep inside my vehicle the night before, to not having to wake up that early. Fishing can't be that complicated? 

31 minutes ago, fishfight said:

19-Nov 561.54 2am lowest
  561.7 6am going up
  561.9 10am peaked
  561.8 2pm going down
  561.63 3pm steady
  561.59 6pm lowest
  561,78 10pm going up
  561.71 12am stable

Hey fishfight, thanks for doing this research.  So, looking at the figures for Nov 19, I'm not completely sure they reflect what I actually saw.  According to the figures, 10am would be peak, then going down at 2pm or so.  However, I think around 7 to maybe 8am it was at peak, and then started going down until, and was doing so until 11am or so.  When I was leaving around noon, I think it started going up again.  Weird.   However, I completely agree about Nov 12, it seems right.

On NOv 12 when I was there, The water seemed to be highest at 7am, then slowly went down as times passed, so there were some discrepancies.

I have to figure out other factors, and other water discharge site to get more accurate findings on water flow after the falls area. 

So first time in years, the City does not follow the regular schedule for release of the water flow.  That is strange!  

Now I just have to figure out Barometric pressure and water clarity issue ...........................................................................................Then NO MORE TIME TO FISH!  

This has been the norm for 3-4 years now. Like said above its 100% green energy. Wind power mostly. The days of the big Nov. 1 drop are way behind us. As a kid we fished the queenston reservoir daily and you could set your watch to the level beginning to drain at 330 everyday. The power canal levels were always predictable too. That again is all behind us. Fisherman were spoiled  with some good years of the lowest water levels I ve ever seen on Niagara during the new  tunnel construction, which opened up some prime water but since  the project was announced finished it's been completely unstable water levels.???  I've found some spots that fish nice even in the high water and see little to no pressure,  just got to put some legwork in when conditions in the traditional spots aren't working

Hey guys, since I started the topic, a quick report:  found out I have a couple of vacation days left for the year, which I haven't scheduled yet.  Nothing better than spending them fishing the Niagara!  So, went down this morning, water level was somewhat comfortably low, although not the lowest I've seen it in the last couple of weeks (e.g. Nov 12 was lower).  However, the water was extremely dirty.  I'd say 1 ft visibility.  Had no luck, tried some lures, also float and yarn balls.  You can correctly guess---I won't be using my second vacation day tomorrow...

If you notice any winds out of West or SW over 25 km in the previous day or 2 you can assume low visibility conditions. 1 foot is not all that bad though I ve had many my best days in that zone after a blowout. 

1 minute ago, steellee said:

If you notice any winds out of West or SW over 25 km in the previous day or 2 you can assume low visibility conditions. 1 foot is not all that bad though I ve had many my best days in that zone after a blowout. 

Thanks.  Good to know that such low visibility can still be productive.  I'm new to river fishing, so hearing this is a boost of confidence for me.  I was float drifting yarn balls today, perhaps I just wasn't lucky...or in the right spot...or in the right color and size...  Next time I may add beads to my arsenal.  Still not ready to use natural bait though, so this also may be the reason for my lack of success.

It could take you years to get your first fish out of the niagara. Unless you fish it often and can get the river dialed in.  Took me probably 2 seasons fishing about 5 times a year (usually dec,Jan) to get a fish. My 1st few fish (lakers) came on kwikfish jus letting it sit out in the current. I’m still learning something new every time I go 5 years later.  You really need to get your bait down so big float(16-24g) and heavier then normal weight works.   If beads aren’t working throw a pink worm on some days that’s all they want and if the current is too strong and your not feeling it go fish some back eddies down the glen(lower section below the whirlpool). Anyways I’m still no pro at that river but hope this helps a Bit. Good luck and post a pic when you catch your silver bullet.  

On 11/23/2017 at 9:03 AM, Tyler0420 said:

It could take you years to get your first fish out of the niagara. Unless you fish it often and can get the river dialed in.  Took me probably 2 seasons fishing about 5 times a year (usually dec,Jan) to get a fish. My 1st few fish (lakers) came on kwikfish jus letting it sit out in the current. I’m still learning something new every time I go 5 years later.  You really need to get your bait down so big float(16-24g) and heavier then normal weight works.   If beads aren’t working throw a pink worm on some days that’s all they want and if the current is too strong and your not feeling it go fish some back eddies down the glen(lower section below the whirlpool). Anyways I’m still no pro at that river but hope this helps a Bit. Good luck and post a pic when you catch your silver bullet.  

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.  Has some valuable pointers that I'll definitely keep in mind, so thank you!

Actually, I already got my first fish out of there :)  I've been down 3 times already in the last couple of weeks, and here is my story:  the first time I went there with a friend of mine, actually in this forum (he will see this and reveal his name if he wishes to, I respect the privacy of others).  I put on a large J13 rapala against everyone's advice (just wanted to try the lure to see it as I've never used it before), and cast it out just to see the action, so first cast wasn't really a cast at all.  2nd cast----boom, a pretty big steelhead hit it.  Took me by complete surprise, I'm a bass fisherman and I'm used to pulling bass out of the weeds, so instinctively I tried to reel in the steelhead as fast as possible (15lb test).  After a couple of jumps, No surprise---it broke off.   Few more casts with the same huge crankbait, probably 5th or 6th cast----another strike, again close to shore as I was about to take out the lure out of the water.  This time----a big chinook!  "Learning" from my first mistake, I was very gentle with the fish, letting it play.  Lasted about 10-15 seconds, enough to bring it up to the surface right in front of me so it can show itself.  Lost it then.  The way I see it----I never did a hookset at all, in fact the fish hit, put pressure on the rod, and I just kept it there letting it play a bit.  Those big hooks on that crankbait---I wish I yanked it to bury the hooks, instead I didn't.  Also, my friend later observed my hooks are not even sharp....  This was 2 weeks ago.   (Note: since then I always have my sharpening file in my pocket and test/sharpen all hooks before putting them in the water).

2nd time I went, again throwing lures, and after all morning trying, finally a small 3lb post-spawn brown trout decided to like my Duo Realis crankbait.  Since I was by myself in the spot, and (another rookie mistake) my net was not opened (it's the collapsable kind), I had to beach the poor thing (pic attached).  At the time I thought it's my first steelhead, but was later corrected that it's in fact a brown trout.   

3rd time I went----it was after a visit to my local bait & tackle shop, furnishing myself with a 10ft baitcasting rod, spooled one of my bass low profile baitcaster with 10lb floating hi-vis mono line, 20g bobber, 8lb test fluoro leader, small hook, yarn....I really like the idea of drifting a float and the peacefulness of it, so I wanted to start getting into that.  Obviously not ready for a centerpin, but I'm so comfortable with a baitcaster already, so decided to use that skill to help me with drifting.  But no luck as of yet.  I'm yet to try beads, etc.   

(Side note:  anyone knows what is this "Anti-spam Feature: 987654321" beside my name in this forum?  Never seen that on other forums)

Snap33.jpg

J13 ....my fav. pike lure ..... :)    When you forget the sharpening stone , a small smooth rock will sharpen a hook or remove a burr .....done it many times .

I also like to use floating lures , like a Husky Jerk or Kwik Fish  with a 3 way rig . Depending on structure  & current , the sinker line varies in length and is always less strength than the main and leader lines in case of a hang up .

Not much word on using the corkies .......Nice clean brown there corsara . 

Good Fishing   :Gonefishing:

Nice going Corsara, your hooking fish so that's a good thing..nice brown btw !!!  Like mentioned takes fishing that river a lot to get it figured out. 

Smerch we used corkies last week and hooked 6 fish between 3 of us bottom bouncing...couple lakers and 4 bows. I'm done with Glen, and whirlpool the ole knees are shot...park n fish for me now...lol

Just a short conditions report for yesterday (Saturday, Nov 25):

Got down to the river at around 8am.  Water was very high and covering the trees (see photo below).  I'd say it must have been around 9:30am or so when the water level started to go down, pretty fast.  I know for a fact at around 11:30 it was low and remained that way at least until 4pm-ish, when I left.  Personally, I was 1 of 2  (caught and landed a 4lb 12oz brown trout float fishing, and had a bigger fish for a few seconds on a spoon).   Might've had a couple of more bites on the float that I missed...or might've been rocks, not sure.  Water clarity was much, much better than mid-week on Wednesday.  I'd say 3-4ft visibility.

Snap36.jpg

Wow !  I have never seen the water so high at the pool  . Last time I was there , about 8 -10 years ago was to help with a garbage clean up with members of NFN . This spring -summer was also the highest I've seen L.Ont . with water well over the top of the piers & that was due to lots of rain .  Toaster has a point there .....we have the new "Big Bertha" tunnel  costing millions and wind mills all over the place ....I hope they know what they are doing .....

Ya that's so crazy knowing where the water should be this time of year. I took a buddy down 2 years ago Nov and the water was the same as this pic. I couldn't believe it.  2 weeks ago I stopped by had a look in the pool from the aero car and it was the same too. My question is? Is it like this every day now? I've never been a wader guy on the Niagara but with that, you need to get outta of the trees lol. Hard to tell in the dark if you'll need them or not. 

Archived